Classifieds Issues

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Classifieds Issues

#1 Post by David Jones »

No response to my reply to your ad. Can you contact me by PM. There is no PM button for you.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Paul Chappell

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

There is sonething wrong with the Classified contacts. I have had the same problem contacting other sellers.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

I still can't believe we have a quality website if emails cannot be sent from standard email addresses. I assume it is an outsider that I am slandering, whoever set up that part of our site is incompetent. How hard could it be? When I answer an ad from my Yahoo email, I just wait for it to bounce back, and it gives me the person's "secret" email address, which I then can use to contact them.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Greg Haskin
356 Fan
Tag: gh356

#4 Post by Greg Haskin »

I've tried to buy items he has advertised in the past without success. Once, he did reply a week or two later saying that his system filters lots of stuff into his junk mail. Someone else got through and bought the item, but I haven't seen the point in inquiring since then about any of his other ads. Not sure who's fault it is, but it sure does seem antiquated. He does advertise some interesting stuff.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

I used to get the bounced back "undeliverable email" message to get the sellers email address but I don't even get that anymore.

Sellers/buyers: Please put your email address in your ad.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bob Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bob Murray »

I quit submitting ads or trying to purchase anything from the classifieds. When I run an ad I get 0 response even when I have asked other members try to contact me thru the site. When I have tried to respond I usually get undeliverable mail response. I use Yahoo so with all other sites ie Samba,Pelican,911s registry 914 and ect I have no issues. We have a great club and resource too bad this is such a problem. No other sites seem to have this issue. I have quit trying here I just post and buy elsewhere.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

We've been told that the moderator and others are trying to fix the problem. Hopefully they can soon resolve the very frustrating issues with the classified section.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

"...can't believe we have a quality website..." We don't.
"Hopefully they can soon resolve..." Two years and counting, no improvement whatsoever.
"No other sites seem to have this issue." They care.

7000members@ $40/ =$280K per year. What does it take to hire a real web guy to clean up a run of the mill phBB site?

VinceFinaldi
356 Fan

#9 Post by VinceFinaldi »

I have purchased many things from him over the past year. Mostly A parts. Sometimes he takes a couple days to get back to you. But, he has some good stuff and has always treated me very fairly. Very nice man.

Bob Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bob Murray »

Don't think it is with the individual seller or buyer. You can't respond to a message you never receive

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#11 Post by Curt Dansby »

Folks

I have tried to cover this in other posts. If you have AOL or Yahoo your ISP blocks third party e-mails as spam. This is explained in my Global post titled " Classified Users" at the top of all forums. There is no work around on this other than for you to get another e-mail address OR post your contact info in ads which we began allowing again some time ago due to this problem. This allows other people to contact you directly if you place an ad but is of no help if you are trying to respond to a blind ad.

Curt

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

Why did we do away with the PM system? It seemed to work pretty well.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Classified ads

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

Curt:

Why is there a difference between posting on the Talk List and the Classifieds? Isn't there a way for the 3rd party server to accept AOL and Yahoo?

I for one am not going to change my email provider or obtain another address just so I can use the Classified section and those posting ads aren't listing their contact information.

How about setting up the Classified section like the other topics? I'm sure there was a rationale for setting it up the way it is but, as it is, it is not efficient.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#14 Post by Curt Dansby »

Mike

You are not sending e-mails when you post in the forum. You are able to post on the basis of logging in to the site.
Some posters do post contact info. Just like I cant force them to return your e-mail I cannot force them to post their contact info- some people do not want to.

See this website to explain what is hamstringing us. https://dmarc.org/
This DMARC thing was established by ISP's after our website upgrade. The classifieds are far more efficient in their current format than they would be in in the talk format as there would be no way to prevent people for providing a running commentary on individual postings- so you have an ad for rudge wheels that turns into 3 pages of comments rather than a simple ad. I do not believe people want that either.

There is no fix. The oily way to circumvent this is if we have a site based e-mail program which would mean logging into the site to check an internal mailbox. Then you would be talking about some serious lag time in lots of instances before you would get responses. If more and more ISP's adopt this DMARC protocol we may eventually be forced to go that route.

Curt

Bob Murray
356 Fan

#15 Post by Bob Murray »

Hi Curt,
Thanks for the post. I am not that computer savy so forgive me if I don't get this. . But I don't understand how all of the other sites ( Pelican, 914 registry,911s registry, Samba, Bring a trailer and others) I use, have no issues with my provider, I advertise and purchase items thru them all of the time. I too am not willing to change my email address because this site can't seem to find a solution. I would much rather purchase from and offer parts to other 356 Registry members but so far I have been forced to go a different direction. I love the Registry and it's membership, the advise and help provided is truly invaluable.