How to determine year of door?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Dunn
356 Fan

How to determine year of door?

#1 Post by Greg Dunn »

I am posting this for sale soon, but not sure of exact year. I know it's A or Pre-A, but don't know the fine details to determine more. Any help?

Thanks.

Always buying and selling parts and even cars. Feel free to let me know your needs or if there is a parts lot available, etc.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: How to determine year of door?

#2 Post by David Jones »

It is an "A" as it has the locating wedge at the bottom of the door on the latch side. That makes it probably 58 or 59.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bil Brown »

Looks like a high striker to me......square door handle......late interior handles......my guess is mid-57ish
Bill Brown

Greg Dunn
356 Fan

#4 Post by Greg Dunn »

bil brown wrote:Looks like a high striker to me......square door handle......late interior handles......my guess is mid-57ish
The square door handle was the biggest tipoff to me to be an A, but wasn't sure.

Thanks!
Always buying and selling parts and even cars. Feel free to let me know your needs or if there is a parts lot available, etc.

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Karaba »

Not a 58 or 59. Pre-A's had rubber wedges and square door handles. Mid to late 57 they added the round access hole to the top inside edge of the door for a door mounted mirror.

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jim Karaba »

I am going to say it is a Pre-A. Pre-A's had flat chrome pull handles. The later pull handles had a curve to them. If you pull of the door panel you can also look to see if it is mid 53 or older by seeing if it has a bolt in panel that the window regulator mounts to. You can also date it by the window regulator or the door latch because they will have the month and year stamped in them.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#7 Post by James Davies »

What Jim said. Window regulator has the date stamped in it right in the center. Just unscrew the inner door card. My guess would be a late '54 or '55.
Attachments
20140901_40d_3250f.jpg

Greg Dunn
356 Fan

#8 Post by Greg Dunn »

Could you guys be more helpful?

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jim Karaba »

Sorry thats all we got

Mike DeJonge
356 Fan

#10 Post by Mike DeJonge »

All the screws on the door panel appear to be Phillip head screws so no earlier than mid 1953. Remove the panel and you will be able to narrow it down
Mike dejonge
Restoration Design Inc.
52 Pre A Body Bumper X2
53 Pre A coupe
54 Pre A speedster
56 Speedster
60 D'letern Roadster
67 911
05 997

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

Does it have a removable panel that holds the window crank and inner door handle lever?
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ned Gorski »

my guess late 56 to mid 57 . the 45 on the door has two screws pre a's had one it looks to have a high strike and a square door handle

Regards Ned

Greg Dunn
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Dunn »

Greg Dunn wrote:Could you guys be more helpful?

I'm sorry - I was being sarcastic! I can't believe how helpful you all are and how quickly everyone here jumps in!

Thanks a million. I'll be taking the panel off in the next few days to determine a date more concretely.

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#14 Post by Rick Albro »

I would bet that some of the items on this door are not original! There is not a depression for the mirror access (about May or June of 57), the lock cylinders are the earlier version(pre April of 57), the interior door pull is not flat???, The latching mechanism appears to be the larger style making this pre mid 55, The window crank and interior release handle are in line making this post mid 52, viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39183 might be useful to distinguish 53/54 doors, the date stamping would be very useful along with these other identifying features to date the door and provide a better time line of door evolution.

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#15 Post by tom collingwood »

1958-1959 doors look like 1960-1965 doors except they have a "tab" for the door pilar "notch".
that being said, later production 1959 coupe does not have a tab or notch which i have discovered with my 1959 coupe body.