What tools to carry when traveling?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Pascal Zundel
356 Fan

What tools to carry when traveling?

#1 Post by Pascal Zundel »

Hi,
What tools do you carry when traveling with your 356?
Is the original toolset relevant? sufficient?
I ask the question because I usually carry a much too big toolbox and thought about reverting back to a reproduction "original tool set" plus a few modern goodies like wire to unclog carb jets, a LED torch, a forehead lamp, and a swiss knife.
Thanks in advance for sharing opinions and tips.

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

Re: What tools to carry when traveling?

#2 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

I think it depends on how long a distance are you travelling from your home base and how complicated a repair do you want to tackle on the side of the road.

For day trips the "original tool set" and an AAA membership for the flat-bed ride home is probably adequate. After that, you likely have "favorite" wrenches, pliers, socket drivers, socket sets, etc. that you prefer to use over those in the generic original tool set.

And, it doesn't matter how many tools you take if you don't have the spare parts with you to do the repair. For multi-day, multi-mile, trips you'd like to have every part with you that you can imagine failing, and the tools to do those jobs.

Our recent travel to the 2015 Southern 356 Drive was two drivers, two days and about 1100 miles each way. We had lots of tools and spares and [fortunately] mostly they weren't needed. But for one attendee his generator failed and through the collaboration of several others all the tools, save one, were at hand including a spare generator loaned out by Curt Dansby. The problem was that we had no easy/convenient way to get the fan nut off/on the generator in the field with the tools at hand. As it turned out, Joe Cogbill's shop was only 20 miles away and he had the requisite impact gun to complete that part of the job.

I mention all this simply for you to think about how much you want to be able to undertake on your own and then you take what is needed to accomplish it.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jeffrey pretty much nailed it. The briefest kit is a cell phone and a AAA card. Some of us go overboard; some are minimalists. I tend to carry a lot of spares including a generator and voltage regulator stored beneath the passenger floor board. Tools? Socket and wrench sets, feeler gauge, screwdrivers, 944 jack, folding triangle warning signs, etc., etc. Wire, tape, spare fan belt, accelerator rod, distributor with cap, coil, spark plugs and wires, generator brushes, valve cover gaskets, turn signal flasher, assorted bulbs, fuses, generator pulley halves, oil, etc., etc. To date (knock on wood) I haven't needed anything but I've been able to help others on event outings.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Paul Kust
356 Fan

#4 Post by Paul Kust »

The more you pack the less you'll need, Murphy's law. If you don't have it is when you need it. :D
Paul Kust
'57 T-1 101611

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

I think it comes down to what you are capable of fixing at the side of the road. If you feel you know how to change out a distributor then carry one. Same with a fuel pump. if you cannot diagnose the problem there is no point in carrying the tools to fix the problem. For some even changing a tire can be a challenge. Carry a cell phone, a credit card and a prayer mat.
I only carry enough tools to be able to rebuild an engine. Most everything else is then covered.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good advice, David. The only thing I would add is that if you are traveling with a group or attending an event and you suffer a breakdown and have the part needed, even if you don't have the expertise to affect the repair, undoubtedly someone in the group will be able to help.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Neil »

I know there is an old thread on here or maybe an article from the magazine that covers your question in depth, but unfortunately can't locate it with my searches so far.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Pascal Zundel
356 Fan

#8 Post by Pascal Zundel »

Obviously, original toolkit will do for me. Plus wire to unclog jets (the most frequent issue I was faced with so far - Weber carbs disease).
BTW, I don't quite understand the generator thing. I burnt mine once and drove a few hundred miles without it. As long as your battery is loaded... Not a trip stopper unless it is so damaged it can no longer turn the fan, which is most probably quite uncommon.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jim Alton »

Do many people still keep original tool kits in their cars now that the tool kits are worth thousands?

I carry a smallish "GI tool bag" which roughly parallels the original kit but with more wrenches. I add a few more small items:
  1. Miniature screw driver (tighten radio knobs and probably other things)
  2. Some allen wrenches (I once had to tighten my updated front axle bearing in a Laguna Seca corral and I use the same kit in my 911)
  3. A pin punch (small, it can tighten the Aero mirror and maybe work on door & window handles)
  4. An electrical test light (I may not remember much from my two electrical engineering degrees but I can still handle basic circuits)
  5. A feeler gauge for the points (and the test lamp allows you to static set the timing)
  6. A stubby combination wrench that fits the nuts holding the Zenith carbs (even if tearing down carbs on the roadside is too optimistic, the wrench is small and makes a near-impossible job easy)
  7. A 17 mm stubby combination wrench to tighten the Hella 128s on my 911 (I just have the one kit) It might work on 356Bs & Cs, too
  8. A scraper that uses single edge razor blades which also does miscellaneous cutting
  9. The "special tool" to hold the early fuel pump linkage in position during reassembly (it's just a little wood block)
I also keep meaning to add a small LED headlamp.
Last edited by Jim Alton on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

In addition to the items I previously mentioned: Headlamp, paper shop towels and hand cleaner, nitrile and mechanic's gloves, Fix-a-Flat, towel to lay on the ground, bailing wire, generator pulley nut and shim washers, steering coupler, fuel pump rebuild kit, fuel hose and clamps, oil filter lines.

Tools: assorted box/open end wrenches, generator nut wrench, assorted sockets with ratchet, assorted screwdrivers, wire cutters, hub cap puller.

I have a repro tool kit as well. The original one I have is just for show.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

Add clutch cable and zip ties...
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#12 Post by David Jones »

My last long trip was to Helen Georgia which was kind of a shake down for the "C". I had one minor problem but in fixing it I caused a bigger one. The ball joint on the throttle pull rod under the pedal board popped off. In the process of getting to it to fix it I pulled back on the throttle pedal and the spot welds broke attaching the pedal to the bottom hinge. 4 spot welds, two were bad, one was good and the other was iffy. Lesson learned. Do it the right way and remove the pedal as well to remove the backboard. Slower but safer though I guess the pedal would have broken one day anyway but maybe after my ownership. By the way it was not an original pedal but a reproduction. Not a spare part I would ever have thought of carrying and now it is seam welded not one I should ever need again. I could have fixed it at the side of the road if I had my MIG welder or by drilling the pedal and hinge and bolting it back together if I had had my battery powered drill and the bolts. Luckily a local resident stopped and had all I needed as well as a tow to his garage to fix it by the drill and bolt method. Where do you call a halt on what to carry?
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

Great anecdote, David, and equally good question: where do you put the line at spare parts/tools to carry? I always thought it funny that the travel kits include a valve and spring. Not exactly a roadside repair job to replace them.

Yep, some of us are minimalists and some of us aren't. It's a personal comfort level I guess.

One other item I forgot to mention is the accelerator rod coupler. Small part to pack and when needed, nothing else I can think of will suffice if yours fails.

So, Pascal, have we totally boggled your mind by now? Ha!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Alfred Knittel
356 Fan

#14 Post by Alfred Knittel »

It looks like to me one would need a trailer hitch on his car and a small trailer for and rebuilt motor and thany, welder {gas run}. Lots of shelves in the trailer for spare parts. I would be happy to travel with some one like that. Me I go lite Phone, {the TAN list} A small ammo boxes with a few tools.get me by, be brave, an keep the faith.
1954 coup
1959 Cab
1959 super coup
1970 240z first year
1971 240z

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

Sounds like the way some of the Model T and A guys travel: back up vehicle with a load of spares and tools.

KTF!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe