Ground cable at trans

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Shimmon
356 Fan

Ground cable at trans

#1 Post by Richard Shimmon »

I've got the dreaded hot engine restart disease ie slow cranking and sometimes REAL slow. Cranks ok after cooling. I know this has been discussed a lot. I've eliminated just about everything per list suggestions. What I haven't done is change the cable at the trans. It may have possibly never been changed as I've had the car 38 years. (It's a 59 D). I've got the service manuel but see nothing regarding this. Need some tips regarding the procedure. Novice mechanic.......like to know what I'm doing before I start.

Thanks
Rich
59D Hawaii.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Ground cable at trans

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Richard:

I'm pretty sure if you Google the topic, you'll find a lot of information on the topic.

Aloha!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dick Weiss »

Richard,

It's very simple; just unbolt the cable from the tunnel end and the trans., clean both ends of the cable and the faces of the bolts & washers + the nuts, and the faces of the tunnel end & the trans. Also check both sides of the ground strap mounting to the battery box floor--both sides, and the cable clamps on the battery.

Dick

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

I always like to add a toothed washer to each connection for additional "bite".

Belmetric happens to have a clever combination inside and outside toothed washer that I particularly like for this application:

https://www.belmetric.com/bb0005-intern ... =4_38_1149
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#5 Post by Larry Coreth »

Don't forget that light smear of grease on the terminal ends under the bolts to prevent future corrosion ! Ignore anyone who claims the non-conductive grease will increase the resistance as this is an old wives' tale in reality.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC