T2 A Gas Tank Filler Neck Adaptor?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Peter Jordan
356 Fan

#1 Post by Peter Jordan »

Does anyone sell a gas tank neck adaptor for the T2 and earlier cars (the cars that require you to open the trunk to fill up the tank). I'm looking for something I can insert into the filler opening (once I remove the screw on cap) that will allow me to use the modern "air quality" gas filler nozzles without ruining my back. At the present time I have to: 1) hold the filler nozzle's spring loaded sleve open with one hand while 2) holding the nozzle's "on" lever with the other hand while 3) bending under the trunk lid in a contorted position trying not to spill any fuel or ding any thing on the car with the clunky gas nozzle. I need a chiropractor after every fill up. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Peter Jordan
59 Coupe Silver

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Hi Peter,

I have never seen such an adaptor, but if you did find one, my
concern would be that when using it you will be putting a lot of
downwards pressure on the gas tank filler "neck" area, and over time
you will weaken it and possibly cause it to crack (I believe that
others have posted about this weakness in the past on 356Talk). The
filler neck was not designed to have that kind of force routinely
applied to it.

I wouldn't risk it. I know it's awkward, but that's the nature of the
356 fill up!

Good luck,
Barry

At 9:48 -0700 9/21/08, Peter Jordan wrote:
Does anyone sell a gas tank neck adaptor for the T2 and earlier cars
(the cars that require you to open the trunk to fill up the tank).
I'm looking for something I can insert into the filler opening (once
I remove the screw on cap) that will allow me to use the modern "air
quality" gas filler nozzles without ruining my back. At the present
time I have to: 1) hold the filler nozzle's spring loaded sleve
open with one hand while 2) holding the nozzle's "on" lever with
the other hand while 3) bending under the trunk lid in a contorted
position trying not to spill any fuel or ding any thing on the car
with the clunky gas nozzle. I need a chiropractor after every fill
up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

------------------------
Peter Jordan
59 Convertible D Meissen Blue
59 Coupe Silver

-------------------- m2f --------------------

To contact an administrator admin@356registry.com
To unsubscribe go to http://www.356registry.com/forum/m2f_usercp.php
Read this topic online here:
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 6618#16618

-------------------- m2f --------------------
Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Jaime Jensen
356 Fan
Tag: Cruising in my late daddy's Speedster.
Instagram: @jaimejensensf

#3 Post by Jaime Jensen »

Jim Breazeale owner of EASY has one. I believe it was designed by the late Richie Lukes.

Barry brings up a good point, any validity to his thoughts?

Stan

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Peter Jordan <peter@jordan2.com (peter@jordan2.com)> wrote:
Does anyone sell a gas tank neck adaptor for the T2 and earlier cars (the cars that require you to open the trunk to fill up the tank). I'm looking for something I can insert into the filler opening (once I remove the screw on cap) that will allow me to use the modern "air quality" gas filler nozzles without ruining my back. At the present time I have to: 1) hold the filler nozzle's spring loaded sleve open with one hand while 2) holding the nozzle's "on" lever with the other hand while 3) bending under the trunk lid in a contorted position trying not to spill any fuel or ding any thing on the car with the clunky gas nozzle. I need a chiropractor after every fill up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

------------------------
Peter Jordan
59 Convertible D Meissen Blue
59 Coupe Silver

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Jaime Jensen
'58 Speedster

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#4 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Jim at EASY does own the item mentioned and it was designed by the late R. Lukes.

However, it is not at his site at present. I have it for reverse engineering study with improvements. I will maintain the function, but will do it differently.

If there is sufficient interest--like 10 or more--, it is a viable product. LMK off-line if interested. Products like this are like P-54, a needle bearing puller for the bearing in the front torsion bar. Search P-54 for details. Only a few actually want to use the right tool for the job. I heard several alternatives for "removal" at the recent Ski Roundtop Swap in PA over last weekend.

If the original poster "must have" one of these adapters, please contact off-line to discuss 1 off production.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#5 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

I have been ask offline to comment on Barry's post about the possible cracking the joint at the bung on the tank arising from the use of heretofore mentioned adapter. I am not aware of any previous posts addressing this scenario. However, this is my take based upon visualization of the deformed structure:

In short, I have to disagree. The problem with the potential cracking is the large, 100mm opening in the tank. Cracking could present, but this would be due to the leveraging effect of the nozzle as the heavy hand fills the tank. There is a tendency to "lean" on the nozzle for stooped over balance--[takes loading off the spine-- especially on the Speedster]. Consider the opening as 2 points on a play yard seesaw and the third point, your holding the nozzle handle. The resistance of all your applied weight on the nozzle is transferred to the tank through the two contact points of the nozzle on the opening lip. This introduces a couple or moment to the entire surface of the tank which is resisted by the membrane stress[in plane] induced into the tank skin. The tank bung--as they are called--which interfaces with the gas cap is soldered to the tank skin in the same fashion as a radiator aperture is soldered to the radiator core [old ones of course, since the new ones are plastic]. If any cracking, it would be in the solder as it is weak compared to steel.

However, with the adapter fitted, it closes the hole and significantly reduces the two point loading as it nullifies the local deformation at the contact points previously mentioned by the nature of the required aperture needed to allow entry of the nozzle and compress the elastomeric bellows to permit the flow of fuel in some dispensing nozzles at some refuel centers [they are not called "gas stations" anymore]. The load is more uniformally transmitted to the tank skin through a deeper section of the bung [ramped area]. This in part also because the adapter has thickness and unrestricted movement of the nozzle is prevented as opposed to the 100 mm free opening for normal filling. The force required to depress the elastomer is minimal and the resulting vector is downward. This will have the effect--greatly exaggerated for explanation here to "oil can" the entire top of the tank. As such, the moment at the smaller aperture [adapter fit] is greatly reduced and the tank skin proper takes more of the membrane stresses. Since the tank is steel, no detrimental effect. Heavy handed balance effect is significantly reduced since there is no "local point loading".

Hope this is somewhat clear and helps.

A finite element analysis would prove the assertion, but these are very expensive to conduct. Maybe LN Engineering will do it and post the result.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"