6V quick release battery Negative coupler where to get?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

6V quick release battery Negative coupler where to get?

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi Guys,
See my picture. Need proper negative post battery quick release piece to accept the "Strap" that ends up bolted to chassis.
The regular cheap run of the mill type has a hole in the middle,this will not accept the strap.
What I have may or may not have been custom at time of install, as it looks like the strap was inserted and metal may have been pinched closed but it also looks like the sides of the metal post fitting was welded closed to secure the strap.
Any ideas where to get or how to make this work is appreciated.
I've called some places even Marine boat battery dealers and am not getting the info I need.
Steve
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg

Bruce Hagopian
356 Fan

Re: 6V quick release battery Negative coupler where to get?

#2 Post by Bruce Hagopian »

It might be easier to remove the flat strap and use a round cable.
Bruce Hagopian

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Steve: I just did a quick Google search and came up empty. I think your options are either switch to a round ground cable as Bruce suggested or, put a quick disconnect on the positive cable.

My car had one when I purchased it but I experienced electrical problems. Turns out the connector had a crack in it that caused power interuptions.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Raucher »

Thanks guys,
I think I found the way to mount it correctly not rocket science.
SMC shows a great picture weather it's a cable or ground strap should work the same way.
All the best,
Steve

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Re: 6V quick release battery Negative coupler/avoid voltage

#5 Post by Steve Raucher »

Follow up to above thread advise needed.
My 356A is still 6v. I have modern 12V stereo with two 12v to 6v step down transformers. One for the obvious the second to retain the radio stations pre programmed. A small amount of voltage weeps out constantly because of this so I keep Optima battery on tender always.
On occasion I take car away for 2-3 days and feel compelled to find outlet to keep battery always topped off. I could use a battery quick release or cloaking devise?,but with spare tire in place difficult to pull off and on easily...a hassle.
Would I not be better off in the cockpit of car to use a quick release that powers the stereo? I know I would loose the pre programmed radio stations but no big deal. This way loss of voltage would be mitigated while car is away from electrical outlet?
KTF,
Steve

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#6 Post by Geoff Fleming »

The voltage of the car is not important. The quick-release units work on any voltage and are not sold specific to 6 or 12 volt cars.

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#7 Post by Erik Thomas »

This is what you really need. I pulled the positive cable back into the cabin, and the ran a new positive cable to the battery. Then installed this Bosch period type battery switch. It is easily reached from the driver seat. The switch mount is just a piece of 1/8 inch aluminium. Two holes though the bulkhead secure it with M6 cheese head screws.
Attachments
IMG_20171009_205459_resized_20171009_085639955.jpg

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#8 Post by John Hearn »

Erik
I think you should put some insulated "boots" on those exposed terminals, and an inline fuse on the input.
KTF
John

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#9 Post by Erik Thomas »

John:

You can see the reddish rubber boots (aircraft type) in the picture, they are just peeled back to reveal the connectors. This was an in process picture. The red wire goes from the controlled side of the circuit, to the fuse box. In my opinion it does not need an inline fuse. This set up in much more user friendly than disconnecting the battery at the terminal, and more reliable too. What makes this install even better, is it uses the existing positive cable with no alternation what so ever. I just soldered a large ring connector onto it.