coil question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
fran kelly
356 Fan
Tag: shore bird

coil question

#1 Post by fran kelly »

Am thinking of replacing the coil in my 356C and am wondering what experience people might have had with the Flame-Thrower 6 volt coil offered by Pelican. Is it preferable to the Bosch?
Thanks,
Fran Kelly

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: coil question

#2 Post by David Jones »

Fran, unless it is giving you a problem leave it alone. Post a picture so we know what coil it is. There is little to be gained from buying a high performance coil especially if you still have a 6 volt system as your choices are rather limited. The Pertronix coil is intended to be used with the Pertronix electronic ignition though I am sure it would work with points.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

fran kelly
356 Fan

#3 Post by fran kelly »

Thanks David... the coil is a Bosch and I think its about 15 years old. What type of col problems would you be referencing? The advertised coil may be used with points according to Pelican.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Are you experiencing any starting problems, misfires, engine just dying when hot? Coils don't last forever but can last as long as the car. There are many cars out there still running original coils with no issues at all. If it looks dingy it can be painted and new decals applied. If you do replace it and it is an original coil then you could probably sell it in the classifieds for twice the price of the new flamethrower.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Harrison »

In my experience, when a coil goes "bad" you know it.
Only twice has this happened. Once, i was in a Sprite and it had a total flame out, dead in the water, at an intersection, at night. i pushed it into a gas station, wondering what it was. Spent a few minutes fiddling and looking everything over, then on a whim, tried to start the car and it started right up like nothing had happened. Got home, looked everything over, finally feeling around the backside of the coil, (God knows why I decided to do that) and found about a one inch dent in the backside where you couldn't see it. Don't know how it got there. What was happening was the coil was fine till you ran it about ten miles, then it would heat up and short out.

The other time was when I bought a used Bosch blue 12 volt coil off Ebay. I wired it in to check it as a spare, and the car started, but barely ran, sputtered, spit, no love.

I guess that's why it was on ebay.

Coils last a long long time, unless they're damaged, overheated, or the oil leaks out.

fran kelly
356 Fan

#6 Post by fran kelly »

Thanks Steve. Some intermittent problems with starting but nothing like you reference. I guess I'll rethink the whole issue of replacing the Bosch blue coil and look for possible ground issues to address the slow starting.

fran kelly
356 Fan

#7 Post by fran kelly »

Thanks again Dave. Some intermittent problems with slow starting but nothing like you reference. I guess I'll rethink the whole issue of replacing the Bosch blue coil and look for possible ground issues to address the slow starting as generator and voltage regulator are relatively new.

John Clarke
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Clarke »

Hi All
I have never had an issue with the 'Black' Bosch 6 Volt coil running on the 616/40 912 unit in Our 356. But many Years ago I was offered and bought a Blue Bosch 6 Volt 'Sports' Coil just as a back up spare, but have never fitted this item. What is the difference if any? We are running original points , but these are fired via a ' Boyer Bransden' C D electronic Ignition Module
Would I notice any change in operation if I fitted this coil?
Cheers
Jay

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#9 Post by Geoff Fleming »

The blue coil is a more modern version but does not produce any obvious improvements in the engines performance. Nothing wrong with them but again, do not expect to feel any difference in performance when using a blue coil after using the standard one.

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Years ago I saw a couple Bosch red coils at an international meet. What are they?

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#11 Post by Geoff Fleming »

I had a 12v red coil on my '63. I believe they were the ones used on the Carrera II engines.