Absolutely Ridiculously Ebay Prices for 356 Porsche Stuff!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Charlie White
356 Fan

Absolutely Ridiculously Ebay Prices for 356 Porsche Stuff!

#1 Post by Charlie White »

(RANT of the Day)

Do some buyers REALLY fall for some of the RIDICULOUSLY
high priced 356 Porsche parts and other items listed on Ebay?

CW
Charlie White

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Absolutely Ridiculously Ebay Prices for 356 Porsche Stuf

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

No, Charlie, I don't think so. I think some sellers just throw out an item at a very high price just fishing to see who, if any one, bites. Look at the end of the auctions. Most of the unreasonably priced items don't sell. You'll see them relisted at a lower price, still fishing, still trying to establish a market price.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#3 Post by Roy Lock »

Last month in Monterey a Speedster sold for $600k, we continually hear of rising values of our toys. Personally, my opinion is that price of parts are keeping up with the rising values of the cars. I'm stuck in a time warp dating back to the early 70's when I bought complete 62 coupes with rusty floors for $200 or Speedsters selling for $500.
So, why shouldn't guys get what they get for saving all those NOS and rusty parts. It's better than the stock market today.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Nelson »

You're right, Charlie, but some of the $$ ones are kinda cool in their own way…
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-THERMO-TAL ... 45&vxp=mtr

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Roy Lock wrote:Last month in Monterey a Speedster sold for $600k, we continually hear of rising values of our toys. Personally, my opinion is that price of parts are keeping up with the rising values of the cars. I'm stuck in a time warp dating back to the early 70's when I bought complete 62 coupes with rusty floors for $200 or Speedsters selling for $500.
So, why shouldn't guys get what they get for saving all those NOS and rusty parts. It's better than the stock market today.
Roy-
That's why I love my job some days!

This was after a raid we did earlier this year.
Attachments
truckloadunload.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

The Ebay guy, alexwoa, is a very big seller on Ebay with much good stuff -- his real best stuff is expensive, but should be expensive no matter who is selling.

The Talbot mirror Jim give a link to is mint/boxed early version (note the logo/emblem on the top) with very rare thermometer face. Certainly a 300SL Roadster ($1 mil +) guy would not blink an eye to have that item for his car. If you want just a normal bullet Talbot, modern versions can be bought from this guy for a few dollars http://www.talbotco.com/talbot_mirror.htm

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#7 Post by Roy Lock »

I agree with you Brad. If a guy sleuth out or saved 50-60 year ol parts they should get fair market value for their stuff. If the buyer doesn't want to pay it, they can get good quality new reproductions form our favorite vendors like NLA and Sierra Madre.
If a seller gets his asking, then that must be the fair market value. Not what I paid 30 years ago.

Adam, how may cars were in your last haul?
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Roy Lock wrote:I agree with you Brad. If a guy sleuth out or saved 50-60 year ol parts they should get fair market value for their stuff. If the buyer doesn't want to pay it, they can get good quality new reproductions form our favorite vendors like NLA and Sierra Madre.
If a seller gets his asking, then that must be the fair market value. Not what I paid 30 years ago.

Adam, how may cars were in your last haul?
The last haul, 21 cars. But who knows, I might be able to outdo myself this year.
Attachments
whataweeknew.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#9 Post by Edwin Ek »

People are free to ask whatever ridiculous high price they want to. It only becomes interesting when there is a buyer who is willing to pay it.

But certainly asking prices are indicative of true market values.

I have said this before: when a person is selling, he is happy as a clam that prices are high. When buying, he talks about the good old days.
Last edited by Edwin Ek on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie White
356 Fan

#10 Post by Charlie White »

$800.00 for a 356-C Owner's Manual is ridiculous no matter
how you look at it!

CW
Charlie White

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bob Forman »

Even if it the item is rare, I still touch my wallet when I see that word used in an ad.
Bob Forman

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

I really am cautious with ads that list an item as, "rare, NOS, Janes Dean, Carrera, Speedster"!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dick Douglass »

We follow the rule of Relationship Buying and Selling.

You needed to establish a good relationship with 356 Registry Members in order to receive the "Chance" to purchase a quest item ! Many item were over priced to prevent them from being sold to the wrong person. It was/is a "Good Old Boy Network". We often bought parts so someone else couldn't find them. That was part of the quest. If and when you finally purchased the quest item... you treasured it. The most fun we have is going to the LIt/Meet on Friday night and sitting in the hotel lobby , and making deals for pick up Saturday morning when the people who bought a table get to go in first! If you don't sell it Friday night then you can raise the price and sell it Saturday to a stranger.

If the seller knew you or knew someone who knew you and you had all kinds of hoops to jump through then you could possible buy that quest item. This was to avoid parts from leaving the country just for a cash transaction.

Once you had your friends involved in the quest the chances of buying or selling that item was a lot easier. YOU ALWAYS PAID BACK SOMEONE WHO HELPED YOU!

We don't worry about prices, we follow the good guys. They find a way!

Charlie is one of those people. Vic is another. Greg and Ed are some of the finest., Adam really helped me...good guy. If I have something they want... no problem.

Go to Atlanta and see the Porsche grill badge display!!!!! It was donated by the family of one of the Finest men in the 356 Registry who taught me how to buy ans sell 356 quest items.

Price is NO object!

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

"But certainly asking prices are indicative of true market values."

Ed, please explain.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#15 Post by Edwin Ek »

Dennis ODonnell wrote:"But certainly asking prices are indicative of true market values."

Ed, please explain.
Dennis,

Usually, when asking prices rise, it means the market price (the price at which trades are occuring) is rising also. That's not always the case, because sellers can be on an ego trip. If the asking price is unjustifiably high, that means the seller is wasting his time (dreaming) or waiting for a sucker.

With a market rising explosively like it has for old Porsches, most are afraid now of asking too low a price-- leaving money on the table. The easiest thing in the world is to ask a too high price and come down a little.

That's why (call) auctions are interesting: presumably informed buyers and sellers come together to determine and announce market prices.