steering wheel installation

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Stephen Porpora
356 Fan

steering wheel installation

#1 Post by Stephen Porpora »

Mounting steering wheel and electrical connections for horns and front signals.

I am completing a resto on my 1962 B Cab and am about to mount a Nardi wheel which I purchased. It has a correct Porsche horn button. I know the front signal lights and the horns are on one circuit that is completed at the steering wheel connections. I've installed and wired new horns and signals. Does anyone have any hints as to proper connections or possible pitfalls of steering wheel installation and wiring?
Thanks, Stephen Porpora

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

Re: steering wheel installation

#2 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Congrats on your resto project!

Couple things I've learned about the steering wheel installation: Make sure you follow the factory instructions for centering the steering, and you only install the wheel after you've followed that procedure. Any off-center appearance of the wheel needs to be corrected at the tie rods. You'll need to align again afterward.

I just read an article on difficulty in installing Nardi wheels in an older Registry magazine issue: the author found that the Nardi hubs have a taper cast into the part of the hub that mates to the splined shaft. This taper makes it difficult to fully seat the wheel, as the proper spring and retainer ring won't install correctly. The answer was to machine the hub so it is perfectly even with no taper, like the factory hub. An often followed, but incorrect, alternative is to not install the spring and retainer, but then you'll have side to side movement of the wheel. Try your installation first to see if your hub has this taper.

I had some challenges in my own steering wheel reinstallation with the spring, the steering column tube, and the retainer and bearing that you can read about here: http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... =1&t=38314

Thomas Tuccillo
356 Fan

Re: steering wheel installation

#3 Post by Thomas Tuccillo »

Hi steve!!! TOM from Einhorn, how are you?