356C Driver's Seat Too Soft

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harry Whitehouse
356 Fan

356C Driver's Seat Too Soft

#1 Post by Harry Whitehouse »

Hi Everyone!

After owning this lovely car for 40 years, I'm finding the driver's seat is way too soft. It hurts my back. My daughter complains she can't see over the steering wheel when she sinks in <g>. So I'm going to contact some shops who rebuild seats. Does anyone have some experience with this -- IOW, what to specifically request of the shop? "Just make it firmer"? Or are the more specific instructions like "replace the springs", use xyz rubber cushioning, etc.

Any shops in NorCal that folks might recommend?

Best

Harry
Harry Whitehouse

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: 356C Driver's Seat Too Soft

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Harry:

If it's an original, unrestored seat, the rubber bands inside could have failed, springs broken or "relaxed", horse hair padding disintegrated. So, options: find an upholstery shop near you that is familiar with upholstering 356 seats or send them to Autos International. Of course, if you are so inclined, you could also try to redo them yourself buying the new foam pads from Autos.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: 356C Driver's Seat Too Soft

#3 Post by C J Murray »

Autos International does a super job using modern materials and methods that make the seats firm. The original seats were always a bit bouncy and get worse over time. I am much more comfortable driving with the firmer seats. Call them and ask.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion