Testing speakers/wiring in-place?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

Testing speakers/wiring in-place?

#1 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Is there a way, maybe with a multi-meter, to check if the speaker or wiring is bad while they are in-place? I've got one speaker that works fine and the other doesn't work at all. It appears the wiring is connected OK but I can't tell if I've got a bad speaker or bad wiring.
Thanks!
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#2 Post by Mike Klapac »

Dan,

One way I can think of is to use an Ohm meter to check if you have a load to drive at the speaker. I'm not a 356 speaker expert, but most speakers should give you a reading of 4-16 ohms. across the two terminals measured at the speaker or where the wiring comes back to the head unit. If the measurement is an open and not a low resistance reading, you may have a wire that is no longer on the speaker or it is possibly broken somewhere. You could also measure from a good chassis ground to each of the wires to determine if the wire has rubbed through and is shorting to the chassis. Should give you a 0 ohm reading or awfully close to it if shorted. Before you do all of that, swap the speaker inputs at the head end unit to see if you maybe have a bad channel on the amp. If the dead speaker doesn't bark at you with a known good amp output, probably a dead speaker or a bad connection.

Good Luck!
K

Joe Leoni
356 Fan

#3 Post by Joe Leoni »

Dan,
To add what has already been said, the ohmmeter will cause a clicking sound in the speaker.
Joe
Joseph A. Leoni