1958 super motor

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jason Guild
356 Fan

1958 super motor

#1 Post by Jason Guild »

Guys and Gals

I have a 1958 super motor and I am looking to buy a 59. Mine has end play so needs to be rebuilt unfortunately. The guy I bought it off did not disclose this information to me. Can anyone let me know what I should ask for it or if there is an interest in it contact me. Ill trade for a 59 super as well.

let me know.

Keep the 356 faith

Jason Guild

Mario Bellettato
356 Fan

Re: 1958 super motor

#2 Post by Mario Bellettato »

Jason, I do not have any 59 Super, have a 57 and a 58, both are normals. But if the only issue you got with your engine is excessive end play, as long as it runs well and you do not see any oil leak from the flywheel seal a complete rebuild could be unnecessary. Just remove flywheel, check main bearing condition: if you do not notice eccessive wear and the oil "pockets" are still well noticeable you probably can change the shim to get the proper play (mm 0,12-0,18). Pls notice that available (here in Italy) shims thickness reach mm 1,15, so even a mm 1,33 total end play w/out shim can be fixed. Despite what Porsche say you can also use two thin shims to reach proper play and/or use two soft iron gaskets to create space for the available size of shim you have/find. Hope this is useful info. Ciao.
Mario
Mario Bellettato

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

You might also want to very gently snug the flywheel down (maybe 15 ft/lbs?) with too thick of a shim, and check if it still has end play, which would tell you that the main bearing is no longer tight in the case. If you find that, then plan on that rebuild after all.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Geordie Greenwood
356 Fan

#4 Post by Geordie Greenwood »

Hi Jason,

I have a '59 super engine I would consider selling. It needs a complete rebuild.I don't have the serial number handy, but it is from my '59 coupe, serial #105250. As far as the end play problem, please PM me as I have the dial gauge and some shims, so we could probably sort it out.

Geordie
Geordie Greenwood
Surrey BC

Olivier Lory
356 Fan

#5 Post by Olivier Lory »

Hi Jason,

Did you find your engine?

Olivier

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Mario Bellettato wrote:Jason, I do not have any 59 Super, have a 57 and a 58, both are normals. But if the only issue you got with your engine is excessive end play, as long as it runs well and you do not see any oil leak from the flywheel seal a complete rebuild could be unnecessary. Just remove flywheel, check main bearing condition: if you do not notice eccessive wear and the oil "pockets" are still well noticeable you probably can change the shim to get the proper play (mm 0,12-0,18). Pls notice that available (here in Italy) shims thickness reach mm 1,15, so even a mm 1,33 total end play w/out shim can be fixed. Despite what Porsche say you can also use two thin shims to reach proper play and/or use two soft iron gaskets to create space for the available size of shim you have/find. Hope this is useful info. Ciao.
Mario
Having never removed a fly wheel may I ask how you can check the main bearing condition without splitting the case?

Yours in ignorance!

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dick Weiss »

If the engine is in running condition, a wet oil gage should replace the sender to check the oil pressure; w/it's small oil pump
cold, PSI would be around 10-15 and around 35-40 when warmed up. If the oil light comes on @ idle (or below 800 RPM),
the bearings may be worn; Any metal debris on the sump strainer or on top of the oil filer cartridge?

Dick

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Don't you mean that the oil pressure will be lower with warm oil at any given speed (rpm) than it is with cold oil? Oil viscosity plays a role, but low oil pressure with warm oil is indicative of excessive bearing clearance and/or a worn oil pump.
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dick Weiss »

Yes, Cliff. However, the wet gage shows what I've said; If lower pressure exists, the bearings may be worn--especially on the rods.
Dick

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#10 Post by Cliff Hanson »

I agree that you need to know the actual oil pressure via a temporarily installed mechanical gauge or a permanent electrical gauge with a dual post sender installed as I have in my 64C.

This weekend I noticed that with 180*F oil temp and Mobil 1 15W-50 oil my oil pressure runs about 50 psi at 3000 rpm and 35 psi at 900-1000 rpm. Of course that is with the large oil pump, and I should mention that the relief valve has one washer under the stock spring.

The 59 engine would have the small oil pump as I understand and oil pressure would likely be considerably lower.
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC