Suspension.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tony Aprile
356 Fan

Suspension.

#1 Post by Tony Aprile »

My 1960 356 B - T-5 does not sitlevel. The drivers side is 1/2 inch lower than the passenger side. Car tracks straight and all shocks are new as well as the tires. I removed the compensator rear spring to see if that was the problem but nothing changed. Does anyone have any suggestions what is the problem?
Thank you. Tony

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

Re: Suspension.

#2 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Springs sometimes sag. It is not that they crack or break. They just sag. With the torsion bar suspension you can reset the rear trailing arms and eliminate the one sided sag. It might come back with time.

The rear trailing arm bushings are probably smooshed too. So while you are in there you can replace them too.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

I have found a factory front torsion bar "pack" that had a broken leaf. The factory welded the ends together so when you remove them they stay together and you may not notice a break. The break will be on one side or the other of the center anchor bolt so that side will sit low.

Just an idea... disconnect the front sway bar...put the car on a level spot...jack the car by the trans hoop center with a floor jack and see if the front sinks noticeably at one side.

Before that, you should check each rear wheel camber with an angle gauge. If there is much difference the side with more negative camber will be low and the car should be reset.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Tony Aprile
356 Fan

#4 Post by Tony Aprile »

All good info. What is the procedure to reset the rear suspension so the car sits level?

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#5 Post by Greg Scallon »

Hello Tony,
This write up I did awhile back should help you with leveling the rear suspension.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24968

Good luck!
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus