shipping a car out of the usa ADAM???

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ned Gorski
356 Fan

shipping a car out of the usa ADAM???

#1 Post by Ned Gorski »

I am selling my unregistered 56 project car on ebay, there is a good possibility it may be leaving the country.

My 56 has a clean Nevada title in the name of the guy i purchased it from my name was never put on this title and i have a bill of sales signed from the last owner transferring the car to me.
I live in Connecticut and Connecticut does not issue titles on antique vehicles.

#1 so how do i transfer it over to the new owner if he is out of the country

#2 will my existing paper work suffice?

#3 does the paper work get transferred with the car or should i mail it??

#4 i i need to carry insurance on the car for the shipping. or is that the buyers responsibility ?

#5 anything else i need to know ?

Thanks in advance

Regards Ned

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

Re: shipping a car out of the usa ADAM???

#2 Post by Matthew Devereux »

The buyer is exporting from the USA and importing it into their country. They should hire a custom broker and get the required documents from you. I have bought cars in the US and imported into Canada. You have to get the documentation right and follow the process or you are asking for trouble. Typically the buyer is responsible for it once he arranges pick-up after payment. In the US I think the person who signs the title owns it until the new owner signs (at least in some states). I'm Canadian...what do I know? :) I would be surprised if the title means anything outside of the USA.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Ned Gorski wrote:I am selling my unregistered 56 project car on ebay, there is a good possibility it may be leaving the country.

My 56 has a clean Nevada title in the name of the guy i purchased it from my name was never put on this title and i have a bill of sales signed from the last owner transferring the car to me.
I live in Connecticut and Connecticut does not issue titles on antique vehicles.

#1 so how do i transfer it over to the new owner if he is out of the country
Provide him with a title on the car.

#2 will my existing paper work suffice?

Yes

#3 does the paper work get transferred with the car or should i mail it??

His shipper will tell you what they prefer, I am hesitant to give it to a tow truck driver, which is normally who comes to pick up the car and take it to the port. I normally overnight it.

#4 i i need to carry insurance on the car for the shipping. or is that the buyers responsibility ?

Once you sign for the car in your driveway, it is their car, not your problem.

#5 anything else i need to know ?

Nothing leaves until the car is fully paid for. I have had every scenario thrown at me, joint bank accounts, money transferred with the car hits Rotterdam,the driver is bringing a check, I tell them all the same thing, nothing leaves until I am fully paid, no buts, nuts, or coconuts.

Thanks in advance

Regards Ned
What you can't sell a car with is a Bill of Sale, Dealer paperwork, or a letter from your best friend's brothers attorney friend who says it's cool. Other answers in red above.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#4 Post by Matthew Devereux »

I think a bank wire is your best bet for payment. No shipping company who knows what they are doing would accept an export shipment without ensuring that the customs documents and broker are lined up.

ps I bought a car in Phoenix and drove it too the border. The US Customs guy looked at my title and said the car wasn't mine. After a few tense seconds he explained that because I hadn't signed the title anybody could sign it it would be theirs. We don't have titles here so I wasn't familiar with the process.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ned Gorski »

Thanks guys :)

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#6 Post by Matthew Devereux »

Is the bidding getting close ? :)
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ned Gorski »

Matthew the gap is closing .. getting close to being in the in the black on what i have financially invested into the car..

Regards Ned

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#8 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Congratulations Ned, the auction made it onto Bring A Trailer!

http://bringatrailer.com/2015/06/29/195 ... w-project/

This will give it even more (well deserved) exposure.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ned Gorski »

Sebastian

Good to know... that would explain the jump in the views on my picasa link, went from 20k to 37k views over the weekend..
i'm amazed with the exposure its getting . im also amazed with the amount of ridiculous questions .. i thought it was pretty obvious this was a work in progress.

*** is it road worthy

****can i put the motor in so it can be driven home

*** if there are any parts missing when they go to put it together will i supply them?

just to name a few
Adam im sure you've heard them all, you should keep a running list

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

My favorite is can I give an exact cost to restore it.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#11 Post by Steve Harrison »

Ned,...while I am sorry to see you are having to sell your fun project 56 I understand your motivations.
If the buyer wants to put the car back into pearl grey, I have a full gallon of Glazurit single stage top of the line paint in Pearl Grey mixed up to the specs supplied by Reutter. This gallon cost me over $600 and if the buyer wants it i'll make them a screaming deal, believe me,...cheap. It can go with the car, stashed inside.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ned Gorski »

Thanks Steve i will email you direct after the auction close