Head Lights

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rob Rakowski
356 Fan

Head Lights

#1 Post by Rob Rakowski »

I rarely drive at night but a recent road trip brought me to wee hours requiring the use of my headlights (1963 B coupe). I was shocked at how poorly they lit up the road. My lights appear yellowish not white and without much candlepower. A few years ago I installed relays in the buckets for the headlights and parking lights. I went through all connections and grounds and found
no change in the quality of lighting. I then ran wire directly from the battery poles to the lightbulb. No change. So, any suggestions? About a year ago I spoke to someone (misplaced his name & phone number) about a led headlight he was developing to be made in China. I asked him to call me when they were ready for release but haven't heard from him. Anybody??
Rob

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Head Lights

#2 Post by Dave Wildrick »

I assume you are using the original 6V sealed beam headlights.
I switched to 6V H4 halogen units about 12 yrs ago. There is a separate bulb/reflector housing and a 6V bulb that inserts into the housing, with the whole thing replacing your sealed beam unit. These are available from many vendors, such as Al Zim (http://www.allzim.com/store/cart.php?m= ... ail&p=1931) for less than $70 each.

I got mine from Jeffrey Fellman in Florida for $75 each, a long time ago.
He is the vendor for the Chinese LED headlight replacements. His website is: http://www.classicowheels.com/specialtyparts.htm
I don't see the LED headlights listed currently.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#3 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

Jeffrey's newest headlights are in the classifieds on this site. Search for SMD headlights.
Could anyone using these lights please post a review here?
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

Steven Clarke
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steven Clarke »

Rob:
I rewired my headlights a couple of years ago using the small relays in the headlight buckets. I was amazed at how much better the headlights worked, very strong white light compared to the weak, dim yellow glow I had previously.

I soldered all the connections which I think helps (I am not a fan of crimped electrical connections), but I think maybe an even bigger factor may have been new headlight sockets. I was surprised at how bad those 50 year old sockets had become. They were corroded and had lost a lot of their spring pressure. They just didnt look like they could carry the amperage any more. I bought my new ones from YnZ Yesterday Parts. They are the original style that use the bullet connectors, and I bought new bullets also.

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/index ... duct_id=46

Anyway, just my two cents, good luck.
Steve

Rob Rakowski
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rob Rakowski »

Dave, H4's may be the way to go but I think I'll try Steven's recommendation first. Even though I tried to clean the sockets up, they still looked rough. Randy, Jeffrey Fellman is the fellow I spoke with a year or so ago when I ordered his LED parking lights which, by the way, are super bright. I emailed him yesterday but from past experience he is hard to get hold of. I checked classifieds for SMD headlights and got "0" results. More later.
Rob

Rob Rakowski
356 Fan

#6 Post by Rob Rakowski »

Dave, H4's may be the way to go but I think I'll try Steven's recommendation first. Even though I tried to clean the sockets up, they still looked rough. Randy, Jeffrey Fellman is the fellow I spoke with a year or so ago when I ordered his LED parking lights which, by the way, are super bright. I emailed him yesterday but from past experience he is hard to get hold of. I checked classifieds for SMD headlights and got "0" results. More later.
Rob

PatrickLtjens
356 Fan

#7 Post by PatrickLtjens »

—————————
Patrick Lütjens

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Nelson »

A possible answer. No one who has tried them has posted a review yet, so it's a little difficult to know if that's the silver bullet answer to our headlight problems. Might be. Don't know yet.

E Rutherford
356 Fan

#9 Post by E Rutherford »

The best thing to do regardless whether you stay with the 6V seal beam or convert over to the H4, you should install a headlight relay setup. This allows the head lights to receive max voltage without compromising the wiring or switch. The relay does the heavy lifting and the switch just powers the relay. The relay system is a must when you run H4s! The relay connects the headlight circuit direct to battery circuit, max wattage, nice and bright!

Lots of us sell this system

ed
klassse356.com

Rob Rakowski
356 Fan

#10 Post by Rob Rakowski »

Ed, As noted in original post, relays installed several years ago. Still no response from Jeffrey Fellman on phone message or email. How does he remain in business since only takes orders by phone??

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#11 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Rob Rakowski wrote:Ed, As noted in original post, relays installed several years ago. Still no response from Jeffrey Fellman on phone message or email. How does he remain in business since only takes orders by phone??

Jeffrey has some great stuff. Ironically he is unhappy with his ability to get the word out about his products in the Registry but then never returns people's calls. I have stopped referring people to him for just this reason.

On the ither hand, there are several people who swear by him, they must have his secret phone number!
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

A couple of weeks ago he posted a special sale discount offer for a couple of his steering wheels because he was taking a 'round the world trip with his son (?) so that could explain the non-response to recent inquiries.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#13 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Perhaps, then, he travels quite a bit?
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Jerry Henning
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jerry Henning »

Email can be read and responded to from almost any crevice on this big blue marble we call Earth.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#15 Post by Phil Planck »

Here is a pair for $30. Made a big difference on my 55 coupe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Halogen-Seale ... 0542819946
Phil Planck