Registry Social Media Manager Announcement

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Yarrish
356 Fan

Re: Registry Social Media Manager Announcement

#16 Post by Mark Yarrish »

chase robinett wrote:Hi everyone!

Thank you for the suggestions about the Instagram account - I think it is a wonderful idea and definetly an unexplored resource for the Registry. I'll get to work setting that up, and update everyone when it is up and running.

Just a little bit about me (for you, Mark, and anyone else that is interested!): I am a college kid attending Boston College, but I call the Seattle area home. Being an average 20-year-old, I have tremendous experience with the current popular forms of social media. With regards to cars, my dad instilled an interest in classic cars in me from a young age, but I developed an affinity for 356s while helping out an elderly Porsche mechanic a few years back. He ended up letting me purchase his '63 B coupe, and my dad and I have been working on restoring it ever since. The Registry has been a tremendous resource for me and is filled with great guys - much like everyone in the greater Porsche community - and I look forward to helping serve in any way that I can!

If you have any suggestions or videos you'd like posted to the YouTube account, my Registry email is posted above. Thanks again for the input everyone! I look forward to helping out in this new role.
Chase, Hello and welcome. As someone from the millennial generation we don't have elderly mechanics, we just have very experienced mechanics, :) I look forward to the creation of the Instagram account. Perhaps it will be up and running for the 60 4 60 PCA celebration in French Lick? I too feel very lucky I grew up around these cars my entire life, my father bought his 356 back in 1988. My sister and I were small enough to ride in the backseat! I was lucky enough to secure a '65 C coupe back in 2009 before the market got too crazy, I doubt I could buy one at today's market prices. That is obviously the trouble for my generation, currently the barrier to entry is very high.

Good Luck in the new role!

Cheers.
Mark
1965 C Coupe
Instagram: yarrie513

Mark Yarrish
356 Fan

#17 Post by Mark Yarrish »

Joris Koning wrote:
Mark Yarrish wrote:Mark, I think I just started to follow you today on Instagram. I think Instagram is a much better format v. FB, to share pictures of the club and what we are up to. FB, Is better for calendars, event planning, etc.
I agree Mark, a registry Instagram page would be a very good addition.

For those well known nay sayers, look what the guys as the Collier Museum are doing with their instgram page https://instagram.com/therevsinstitute/

Joris, agreed. Love the Collier Museum feed.

Best,
Mark
1965 C Coupe
Instagram: yarrie513

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

Instagram is great because I can just see a pic or take a pic that's interesting and post it, very quick and fun. I try to put one up a day.
The Registry could do the same thing, espcially with their archives.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

florian beck
356 Fan

#19 Post by florian beck »

Joris Koning wrote:
Mark Yarrish wrote:Mark, I think I just started to follow you today on Instagram. I think Instagram is a much better format v. FB, to share pictures of the club and what we are up to. FB, Is better for calendars, event planning, etc.

For those well known nay sayers, look what the guys as the Collier Museum are doing with their instgram page https://instagram.com/therevsinstitute/

there is a Instagram page http://instagram.com/porsche356registry

Mr Gordon Maltby
Editor, Porsche 356 Registry

has all the info and acc login
www.facebook.com/porsche1958
www.florianbeck.com

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#20 Post by Mark Pribanic »

florian beck wrote:
Joris Koning wrote:

there is a Instagram page http://instagram.com/porsche356registry

Mr Gordon Maltby
Editor, Porsche 356 Registry

has all the info and acc login
Excellent! Now we just need someone to post some foto's, lol. Do we have an IG manager? If not, I would be willing to volunteer for 6 months to 1 year as IG manager.

Instagram is a great vehicle to drive new, younger traffic to the 356 Registry website. If you have a smartphone I highly recommend downloading the Instagram app. There are a lot of great foto's of 356's posted as well as hashtags that cover past and future events. I have met many people at events far and wide because of Instagram.

BTW if you are on IG you can find me at Mark.Pribanic
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#21 Post by Bob Forman »

For those of us technically challenged, I'm assuming the only way to establish an instagram account is through a mobile device???? I tried on my desktop and all it wants to do is send an app to my cell phone.
Bob Forman

Nanette Reid
356 Fan

#22 Post by Nanette Reid »

Bob Forman wrote:For those of us technically challenged, I'm assuming the only way to establish an instagram account is through a mobile device???? I tried on my desktop and all it wants to do is send an app to my cell phone.
Unfortunately Bob, you're correct.

All you can do is view your own images and search for others - annoying IMHO as it shows how many people I'm following, but doesn't allow access to the list.

In a nutshell - Instagram is "App Only" viable for full access (you can use the online version to search for users photos, but that's as clunky as), and if you don't run an iPhone or Android, you'll be out of luck too.

Such is the age of "Instant Everything!!" :P

florian beck
356 Fan

#23 Post by florian beck »

www.facebook.com/porsche1958
www.florianbeck.com

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#24 Post by Mark Pribanic »

florian beck wrote:Instagram is amazing https://www.instagram.com/porsche1958
Awesome idea of posting your IG link Florian!

Here's the link for those without a smart phone for my IG page

https://www.instagram.com/mark.pribanic/
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#25 Post by Pat Daily »

For us old folks that can barely use email, could someone explain how the instagram and Facebook sites work so we can participate?
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

chase robinett
356 Fan

#26 Post by chase robinett »

Hi Pat!

I'll try to do my best to answer your question as best as possible. I'll break it down into Facebook and then Instagram.

The Facebook page for the registry (www.facebook.com/porsche356registry) can be accessed by anyone with or without a Facebook profile. The page posts relevant updates for registry members (such as the trustee election results and updates on East Coast / West Coast Holidays) as well as general interest items relating to 356s, such as pictures, videos, and articles. If you do not have a Facebook page, you can only view the items on the page - you have no way to interact with the community who has "liked" the page. If you do have a Facebook profile (which can be easily created at Facebook.com), you can "like" the page by pressing the "like" button on the bottom-right of the banner photograph. By doing this, most of the page's updates will automatically show up on your Facebook home page, in something that Facebook calls their "Newsfeed". Liking the page also gives you the ability to share interesting posts with your friends and comment on anything that is posted. On a much larger scale, Facebook, in its purest sense, is designed as a way for individuals to keep in contact with their friends. By adding a friend on Facebook, you are able to see any status posts and photographs they may post or share. "Liking" a page - like the Registry's - is essentially the same as adding someone as a friend, in that you will be able to see updates from them on your home Facebook page, rather than having to navigate to separate pages individually.

Instagram is another form of social media, but one that the Registry hasn't started working on yet, though we hope to be active on it soon. Instagram, as others above have noted, is designed primarily to be accessed from either an Apple or Android smart phone as an app. On an Apple iPhone, if you go to the "App Store", you can search for Instagram and download it onto your phone. You will be required to enter an email address and choose a password and username to create an account. Instagram is essentially a photo-sharing app. By "following" different profiles (which is the instagram equivalent of "liking" or "friending" on Facebook) you are able to see any photos posted by individuals you may follow. The Registry instagram page, when active, will share new and old pictures of 356s from around the world. To find the page, or any other page of interest to follow, you must open up the Instagram app and press the magnify glass icon on the bottom left. There you will be prompted with a search bar on the top, where you can search for friends or other pages, such at National Geographic or Porsche.

I hope this helps! If you or anyone else has any other questions, suggestions for the Facebook page, or videos you would like to be posted on our new YouTube page, feel free to email me at SocialMediaMgr@porsche356registry.org.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#27 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Chase,

Thank you for sharing that. I dont have the patience for explaining it, but prefer rather to demonstrate it to those I'm with. Pat Daily,
if you're ever in Jacksonville, Florida or at a 356 event in which I am also, I would be happy to show you how to access and use them both.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#28 Post by Pat Daily »

Thanks Chase and Mark. Actually, I do have a Facebook page (only to follow my daughters posts). I get a bit confused with it sometimes, but basically can use it. I have looked at the Registry page and occasionally check it. Instagram?-- I had no idea how that worked, so thanks for the explanation. Both Facebook and instagram would seem to attract younger folks that might be interested in our cars-- this is based on my daughter and her friends--they all use that stuff. But one thing I notice with the younger folks (she is 31) is their complete lack of interest in cars--they treat them like appliances and really don't know much about them or how to do simple things like changing a flat tire, etc. I wonder if they will become more interested in old cars as they grow older. If not, prices of 356s are in for a crash.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#29 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Pat Daily wrote: But one thing I notice with the younger folks (she is 31) is their complete lack of interest in cars--they treat them like appliances and really don't know much about them or how to do simple things like changing a flat tire, etc. I wonder if they will become more interested in old cars as they grow older. If not, prices of 356s are in for a crash.
Here in Florida, I know at least 20 guys and two women from their 20's into their early 40's who would be stoked to own and drive a 356. Most just don't have the funds yet to get into one. Most have 1950's VW buses(now getting pricey), a few 914's, 2 944's and several have bought 911SC's in hope's for making some money off them to maybe one day buy a 356. Over 3/4 of these folks are multiple vintage car owners. One thing I've noticed is that technology and access to online forums and classifieds has made it much easier for the younger generations to connect with the vintage car communities. I think if the Registry utilized our Instagram account to promote the club it will drive younger traffic to the website, forum and to future events.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#30 Post by Jim Liberty »

I think this is one of the biggest and best steps we have taken in years. Being one of the "Old Guys", I am delighted to see you "Kids" grab hold of our communication upgrades. As one of my business mantras, "If you are standing still, you are going backwards". I for one could not have achieved these innovations, but you guys will help bring the club into modern times.

.......................................Thank all of you for your volunteerism, Jim.
Jim Liberty