1960 Porsche turn signal problem

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tony Aprile
356 Fan

1960 Porsche turn signal problem

#1 Post by Tony Aprile »

I recently purchased a very nice 1960 356 that was unfinished during restoration. The flasher for the turn signals was missing. Purchased a new one from Stoddards thinking that would fix the problem. It Did nothing.

Started troubleshooting. All bulbs replaced with correct bulbs. All grounds cleaned and tightened. Everything else works but still no blinking. Hi and low beam work as do running and brake lights.

Did a test with foot on the brakes and brake lights on. Put the lever in the left turn mode and the left brake light went out. Same on the right side. Thinking that shows the switch is working.
Any ideas on what could be the problem? All fuses are good.

Thank you. Tony Aprile
Santa Cruz Ca.
831-588-7800
Last edited by Tony Aprile on Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: 1960 Porsche turn signal problem

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Tony:

I'm really spit-balling here but two areas come to mind: the turn signal switch to flasher wiring and wiring to the turn signals. When you activated the left turn signal, what did the front turn signals do?
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Tony Aprile
356 Fan

#3 Post by Tony Aprile »

Thank you for the reply. The front turn signal did nothing either left or right. I am not an electrician and it's not my favorite. It's my worst subject and I will need help. I love mechanics and do well with it. I checked the basics and can follow directions well but need some guidance on what to do to troubleshoot the problem and then the fix!
Thank you again. Tony

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'd suggest getting a wiring diagram so you can track wiring and Joe Leoni's books. Both invaluable and easy to follow. The wiring diagram is available from one of our own, Greg Bryan.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Neil »

I ain't no expert, but I would buy Joe Leoni's fantastic electrical book [http://blocks-books.com/BLOCKS-BOOKS/356_Electrics.html] and track down the wiring.

Joe produced what I consider to be the best ever tech book for our 356's. Lost or misplaced my first copy and immediately ordered another. Thank you, Joe, you're the best!
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Alan Winer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alan Winer »

Tony,
I'm not sure what you purchased from Stoddards, but many years back I had the similar problem. After thoroughly checking everything in Joe Leoni's book to no avail, I called. Joe Leoni spent quite a considerable time on the phone with me diagnosing the problem. It turned out that I had purchase a new style flasher which would not work with the older standard bulbs. Perhaps try a different flasher specifically for the older style bulbs.
Please note; I am not suggesting Stoddards part was incorrect or to call Joe whom I believe has retired from the business.
Alan

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

The newer electronic flasher from Zims works great.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#8 Post by Greg Bryan »

Tony - I did an article in the Registry magazine a few issues back that has a full diagram of the Turn Signal and Brake Light circuits - they're closely related as you may know. It has and explanation of how the circuit works and includes some troubleshooting tips. Hopefully that can help. If you can'f find it, send me an email and I'll email you a copy back. The advice about the electronic flasher above is good - they do work great, but of course, the circuit must be working properly as a starting point.
Good luck!
Greg Bryan

Tony Aprile
356 Fan

#9 Post by Tony Aprile »

Do you know how to remove the switch to clean the contacts?

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#10 Post by Greg Bryan »

Yes the switch can be removed and disassembled to a point but not completely. Once it's out of the car it can be spritzed with contact cleaner and that may help. Taking the switch apart is pretty tedious and the turn signal part really can't be disassembled. There may be some descriptions in the archives if you search on 'turn signal'
Greg Bryan