Learning the history of my car??

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
William Laing
356 Fan

Learning the history of my car??

#1 Post by William Laing »

What is the best way to go about it?

I purchased a 1958 sunroof, matching numbers, etc. that I am restoring to perfection, with great detail. It will be awesome and true when done.

What is the best way to learn history of the car if the individuals who recently owned it are not communicative?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill Laing
barbaraandbill@verizon.net

Rosemary Sampson

Re: Learning the history of my car??

#2 Post by Rosemary Sampson »

1. Try posting the VIN here. Maybe you'll get a hit from someone who knows the car

2. Most states no longer allow license plate searches (California does not except in very limited circumstances) but maybe yours does. If you're outside the USA - who knows?

3. It is possibly in the 356 database which, depending upon owner preferences might have some info

4. Become very friendly with someone who has access to the Kardex system at Porsche and permission to share the info - extremely unlikely.

5. Send the prior owners you know pix of what you're doing and maybe a story about how you are using and planning to use the car. Their kids might be good sources since they may remember family adventures in the car.

6. Hire a high end private investigator - probably not cheap but not much compared to restoring a car.

William Laing
356 Fan

#3 Post by William Laing »

Thank you so much. I have the Kardex. I know the previous two owners, but they are not communicative. Sadly.

When you mention the "356 database", can you tell me what that refers to? Do you have a link to that, please?

Also, any idea how to access information on Max Hoffman cars, which this COULD have been one?

I am certainly trying to get acquainted with the recent previous owners. And I still have hope they may decide to reply and be helpful. Not sure yet.

Thank you so much for your information and interest.

Barbara

Rosemary Sampson

#4 Post by Rosemary Sampson »

From the VIN DB drop down menu (at the top of your screen) you'll get this:
https://porsche356registry.org/chassis Possibly owners before the last two will turn up when you plug your VIN into it. You can plug in your engine or transmission # also. You're fortunate to have the Kardex - not all of us do. Too bad about the immediate priors not communicating. Maybe if you bought the car through a dealer or consignment shop or repair shop the proprietor will intercede and speak to the prior owner? Obviously this is guesswork by me. Good luck.

Here is another, probably not as useful database accessible from the RESOURCES drop down menu on our site:

https://porsche356registry.org/cars

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#5 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

I feel for you. I am in the same boat. What a shame that there are individuals who know the story, but, are unwilling to share it. Continue on with your rebuild and enjoy the car, you just have to create your own history going forward.
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Can you at least get the name(s) of the mechanics who previously worked on the car? Maybe you can get additional info from them.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dick Douglass »

As a seller I do not want to be bothered with disclosing facts about a previous owners, or who serviced the car or what was serviced. Everyone is subject to ID theft and it is private information. I would do an injustice to my previous owner to suddenly supply information about the 356, from many years ago.
You a purchased a 356 that is close to 50 years old.
Why the interest in what doctor or lawyer owned that 356? Who cares if Larry Markham serviced the car? Larry is retired and so is your previous owner.
Find a great 356 mechanic near you. Put the car on the rack and create a "quest" list and start your 356 History today.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Dick:

I think a lot of us want to know the histories of our cars. I learned a lot from the previous owner of my car and, when I contacted the owner before him, he was not only excited to see the car again but we spent hours talking about it. He was able to fill in a lot of blanks about maintenance, accidents and when the original engine was stolen. He also added, "you know how that hole got in the headliner? The previous owner's wife poked it with her umbrella." Asking him why the interior was now black instead of the original red, he told me that one of the previous owners spilled a gallon of white paint in the back seat and he dyed the vinyl and replaced the carpet. (When I stripped the car for restoration, I found vestiges of the white paint!) He would shoot me emails and pics when he remembered certain things and we stayed in touch until he passed. I still see the previous owner and he is excited to see the car when the restoration is complete. When I told him it was going to be a bare-metal restoration, he said, "I knew I sold it to the right guy!" Unfortunately, the trail of previous owners ran cold as they had moved out of the area. My situation is a bit different as most the owners were all living in the same area, knew each other and, in fact, one guy owned the car twice. I found out through the previous owners and the Kardex that the car was purchased and owned locally its entire life. I also found out that the car was serviced by the same mechanic who was working on my '58 at the time. When I visited him, he remembered the car but unfortunately, because he had relocated his shop, could not locate the records.

It's all part of the history of the car that I will happily pass on to the next owner.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe