Howling Transmission

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ralph White
356 Fan

Howling Transmission

#1 Post by Ralph White »

HELP! :( My 60 T5 transmission howls loudly in 3rd & 4th gears (usually when de-accelerating, i.e., between shifts and off the gas) and as well as when coasting out of gear, clutch in or out. Deutsche Motorsports, Concord, CA has replaced all bearings and the ring and pinion gears. Hasn't changed a thing. Engine/trans-axle have now been R&R'd six times. 2nd set of factory trained mechanics have reviewed the internals and settings and cannot detect the problem. Latest thought is that maybe the casing is defective? That seems unlikely to me, but I'm open to any solution. Hate the idea of replacing the case as it's a numbers matching car. Has anyone experienced like problems and if so was a solution found? Need new ideas!
Last edited by Ralph White on Sun May 17, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Ward
356 Fan

Re: Howling Transmission

#2 Post by John Ward »

Have you checked the bushings under the shift lever ?
If their gone you can get a transfer of gear noise thru the shift rod.

Ralph White
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ralph White »

I have not as the work is being performed by the shop. But, thanks I will pass on your thoughts to the shop.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

If it just started, it is NOT an issue with the case, unless you or they did some sort of serious damage to it.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ralph White
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ralph White »

I bought the all restored car in Sept. of 2014. Supposedly the transmission had been overhauled during the restoration by a very qualified mechanic. However, it howled immediately upon my taking possession. I haven't touched the transmission and it howled before I turned it over to the mechanic at Deutsche Motor Sport. So, the problem has to be something that existed prior to my purchase. Why do you believe that it isn't the case although I'm inclined that way as well? Hope you're right. Thanks,

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

If it howled from the day you bought it, my comment is incorrect. I was asking if it suddenly appeared after some work or accident.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

One thing to remember is that while your mechanic may be a very skilled guy he may not be a gearbox expert. A good mechanic can poke around in a gearbox but not be an expert. Before I swapped the original case out or did anything drastic I would send the gearbox to one of the experts.
Also, if he has already done a couple of things with no success and is scratching his head, he might be in over his head. Not a slight on his skill, but gearboxes are an art unto themselves. Good luck.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Never heard of a case going bad.
Sounds like improper ring and pinion setup, or bad gears.
Is your trans the early single-mount? Those transmitted more noise; the opposite of what Porsche was striving for with that design.
If it is the single mount, is the mount in good condition, or did someone replace it with a hunk of wood; I've seen that.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#9 Post by Steve Harrison »

What does it sound like with engine running at idle, car in neutral.
Does it have a sort of whirling growl slightly reminiscent of an old style coffee grinder when your just sitting in there?
And does the growl stop when you push in the clutch ?

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

Vic Skirmants wrote:If it is the single mount, is the mount in good condition, or did someone replace it with a hunk of wood; I've seen that.
Does that make it a Woody? Does it qualify for "drive your Woody day"? I've heard of new 356 owners getting a Woody but....

done
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
I agree with Vic I have never seen a case problem. At this point another know good transmission is the best option.
j

Ralph White
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ralph White »

Just talked with Tom Martenot (Deutsche Motor Sports) my mechanic. I passed on everyone's comments. One thing Tom noticed is that with the car on the hoist the rear wheels can be turned by hand with almost no resistance, i.e., far less resistance than any other like Porsche in his shop, seemingly too loose. So, given that all bearings and the ring and pinion have been changed out (and real attention given to setting the R & P up properly) and all gears inspected very closely, Tom is going to R & R the carrier plates in the existing, numbers matching, case. Guess that's about all that's left and, of course, the case. The transmission is double mounted. I appreciate everyone's input and look forward to any new ideas. I'm also sure Tom would appreciate talking with anyone who would like to offer assistance. 925.689.0232 His ego is not an issue. Also, it's mouse quiet when stopped, engine idling, in neutral with clutch in or out.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#13 Post by Jim Liberty »

Send it to Vic, and have it fixed for once and for all. ...............................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

NOOOO! I have too many trannys here now. Give it to Jon Bunin.
But thanks for the thought.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
if you want it this year send it to me
j