East coast west coast Holiday

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: East coast west coast Holiday

#16 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

michael duck wrote:Jim Phillips and I will be glad to host an East Coast Holiday in April of 2017 in Charleston...
Music to my ears Michael. Years ago many Holidays were held in the spring and summer and I was able to attend many of them. They all seem to be in the fall now which, as a football coach, precludes me from ever attending one.

I vote for APRIL!! :D :D
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

michael duck
356 Fan

#17 Post by michael duck »

Thanks Jim. Yep - we're registered for Helen - see you there. Glad you remember the event we did in Charleston. We had 250 356's and 600 registrants and would like to break that record if we do it again. I have some good contacts in this town, having lived here for nearly 30 years, including our outgoing mayor of 40 years (longest in the country for this size city) and his likely replacement.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#18 Post by Jim Liberty »

Michael, how about 2016. Charleston. Old Town is one of the most romantic places on earth. Count on Tiffany and I to be there. ..................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

michael duck
356 Fan

#19 Post by michael duck »

Thanks Sebastian. Yep - April is incredible in Charleston, the most popular month by far with near perfect weather and azaleas in bloom everywhere. Some of the hotels downtown get $500 to $800 a night in April but I think I can get a good rate with some connections I have. By then there may be a new $100M hotel built that was recently announced and the money guy there is a good friend of mine. Not sure if it will be ready by then but I can check.

michael duck
356 Fan

#20 Post by michael duck »

Thanks Jim. There's not enough time to do 2016 - it takes at least a year to plan and execute a successful Registry Holiday and all the hotels are probably booked for April - which is the best month to visit Charleston. But 2017 might work if the Registry members want to return to Charleston. Here are some photos from our last holiday:

http://www.pcapalmetto.org/photoalbum/t ... _Char.html

The highlight for me personally was Joel Horvitz bringing his all original, unrestored 550 Spyder from Boston, giving complete strangers rides in it around Charleston. The last photo in this write-up about Joel is him and his son during the drive-up awards ceremony on the field at Joe Riley Park. This was the only time there has ever been a dinner on the field, and the only time cars have ever been allowed on the field.

http://www.typ356ne.org/prior-members/J ... /index.htm

Joel was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and we became good friends - which is what a car event is all about. We really miss him.
Last edited by michael duck on Thu May 21, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#21 Post by Thomas Sottile »

James your East Coast event was great, the only negative thing I can remember was running out of food twice. once on board the ship and also at the sat night dinner. Other then that it was great

Jim Phillips
356 Fan

#22 Post by Jim Phillips »

Thomas Sottile wrote:James your East Coast event was great, the only negative thing I can remember was running out of food twice. once on board the ship and also at the sat night dinner. Other then that it was great
Thomas: Thanks for your post. I attended your Holiday in Mystic and it was a well planned and executed event and great fun for us....except we had car trouble on the way up and had to return home to drive a non-Porsche back to Mystic, all in one day. I remember after driving all night and arriving at 8:00 AM the hotel staff was very kind to let us in our room early to try and catch up on some sleep, however, our room was directly above the kitchen exhaust fan and we knew exactly was was being cooked... and again, the hotel was nice enough to give us another room on the other side of the hotel. Things do happen out of everyones' control, but we do get past them to make the best of the situation and that was greatly appreciated.

Yes, the caterer aboard the USS Yorktown blamed running low on food, on the group - saying the people who got to the self serve buffet line first (the people who drove or came by bus) put more food than expected on their plates, so the people who came by tour boat, which took a little longer, got what was left. They never ran out of food, they just ran out of the good stuff and the "leftovers" were not that great for people who arrived by boat. Everyone was fed before the speaker's presentation - (Senator Glenn McConnell who was also chairman of the Hunley Commission) who talked about the recently recovered H.L. Hunley - the first submarine to sink a ship in battle. And the caterer at the ballpark never ran out either - they said we had more people on the field than we gave them a headcount for so there may have been some "gate crashers" who walked over from the hotel that did not register for the Saturday drive-up awards dinner because it was so close to the hotel and convenient. They had to set up additional tables and chairs and prepare additional pork tenderloins which took an additional half hour because pork is not something you want to serve "half baked". And we had a record 250 cars and 600 attendees at this Holiday and it's a tall order for a caterer to feed 600 people in a single sit-down dinner, but they did it.

Having said all of that, you will never be able to plan an event that is a 100% perfect for everyone as hard as you may try. I will always appreciate anyone that is willing to donate their time to plan and host an event for everyone else's enjoyment ... and expose themselves to critism when it doesn't go quite as well as planned.

One final note, your concours at Mystic was well worth the extra effort it took for us to get there and made our non-Porsche trip well worth it. Thanks for the memorable time in Mystic.

Jim Phillips
Greenville, SC

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#23 Post by Mark Pribanic »

I went to Charleston in '02, it was awesome! Met the world famous road warrior John Harvey that weekend too! lol. I've always thought Savannah Georgia would be a great spot for a holiday!
Attachments
porsche.jpg
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#24 Post by David Jones »

Surely if it is going to be and East/West coast holiday it should be in the middle of the country not at either end even though some of the venues proposed are great places. The point I thought was not to make anyone have to travel the breadth of the country to get there. Kansas or Oklahoma would be more central. Please not Iowa, tis a boring and tedious place.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#25 Post by Thomas Sottile »

I think you will find Kansas is the middle of the country, the Corvette and hot rod people have done this type of event. If anyone is interested in getting involved give me a buss, maybe we can pull it of. stay well Tom

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#26 Post by Jon Schmid »

There was the holiday in Boerne, Texas a few years ago that seemed to go off well. And from what I understand, there were some nice driving roads in the area. I can't speak from experience but everyone I've run into who is familiar with the Texas hill country speaks highly of it. Just a thought. I don't have to put it on, so.... :wink:

Jerry Charlup
356 Fan

Charleston

#27 Post by Jerry Charlup »

Mike - 2002 was a great event! As a coincidence had dinner last night here in CT with our old CT friends from Charleston and already have my room booked with them for your event.

Jerry

michael duck
356 Fan

#28 Post by michael duck »

Ha! Thanks Jerry. Tell everyone I said hello. This would be part of the TYP 356 group from New England, right? Was your car one of the eight that came down in the same transporter, along with Erling Faulk's 356 and Joel Horvitz's 550 Spyder? They played it smart and shipped their cars then flew down to meet them. Jim Phillips and I had planned to host a Holiday in April of 2016 in conjunction with the 2016 Kiawah Island Motoring Retreat but it fell through and the Registry cancelled the contract, then they called the hotel - the same one we stayed in last time that is now a newly renovated full service Marriott and canceled the block of 250 rooms we had reserved at $199 a night. This is a great rate for April in Charleston and I doubt it will be available for 2017 but maybe we can get the Registry to subsidize the rate to get it down to $199 :)

Jim Phillips is on the board of the Kiawah Island Motoring Retreat and I'm on the advisory board. The vision is to have 300 (or 356) Porsche 356's on the field on Saturday at Ocean Park outside the Ocean Course where 100 to 125 of the finest cars in the country will be judged the next day in a fully judged concours d'elegance by 30+ professional judges. The Ocean Course has been home to the Ryder Cup, the World Cup of Golf and the PGA Championship. It's a world class golf course.

Here's a link to KIMR 2016: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B187Nv ... NNMDQ/view Not many people know this but the Anderson Car Manufacturing Company manufactured cars in South Carolina from 1916 to 1925. We will have at least one of these cars at KIMR in 2016 to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of cars made in South Carolina. The slogan on the badge on the front of these cars is priceless: "A Little Higher in Price But Made in Dixie" ! From our perspective the members of the 356 Registry missed out on a wonderful event in 2016 in what many consider the best place in the country to visit. Charleston has been consistently voted the number one city in the US and Kiawah was recently voted the number one Island to visit. The good news is that Jim and I are offering to do it again in April, 2017 - in conjunction with the Kiawah Island Motoring Retreat, as long as conditions are appropriate with the 356 Registry allowing us to do it the way we know it will be successful.

Jerry Charlup
356 Fan

#29 Post by Jerry Charlup »

Mike - yes that was us. I'm sure well get a good group just from CT this time.
Had a great time and I'm sure 2017 will be just as good!

Jerry

michael duck
356 Fan

#30 Post by michael duck »

Thanks Jerry - sorry I did not remember initially, but now I do. I also remember having 11 people in a Suburban from one of our local restaurants back to the hotel! :)