new registry member, seeking information before restoration

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Watson
356 Fan

new registry member, seeking information before restoration

#1 Post by Dan Watson »

Hi all,

New member here. I am getting ready to start what will be a long process, rebuilding my 54 bent window. Primarily I would like to start by finding out as much as i can about the car. history, type of engine it came with, where it was originally sold etc. The chassis number is 52713. There is some conflicting information out there, but through a few books and sites, here is the information that i have found so far.

Vin #52713
in the maestro book its a 1954 coupe
stoddard has is from dec 54 to oct 55
johnson says 54 reuter coupe
356a search lands it right around a build date of late 1954.

It seems that some were build later and then delivered as a model year prior. From that i tend to think that you ordered your car, and then it was build, but the date correlated with the time that you ordered it. So if you ordered it in the summer of 1954, and it was built and finished in late 1954 it would still be a 1954 even though you may not receive it until say possibly 1955.

Any information that you can throw my way would be helpful.

More background about me. I grew up around Porsche cars from an early age. Ive owned a 1960B in the past and a 1969 911T. I rebuilt the motor of the 1960B with my dad when I was 15 years old. I bought and owned the 1969T when I was in college and wish I had never sold it. I am a firefighter and I have just started a family with my wife. As I said this will be a long project, but one that I am going to enjoy.

The car currently doesn't have an engine, and needs a bit of body work to make it a roller. I will get some pictures up and start a build thread as I move along.

Thanks for the help!

Dan

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: new registry member, seeking information before restorat

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

(looks around, pretty empty here)
Dan,
I can't believe I'm the first to welcome you, but welcome!
I'm also not the guy to answer your questions, but there are some folks posting here who are really knowledgeable about the early cars, and I'll bet you'll get tons of info.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#3 Post by Spencer Harris »

Welcome Dan,
Here's the poop on your car from Eric's database which you've already seen.
http://www.356a.com/searchresults.php?s ... art+Search
Untitled.jpg
Any more detail than this and you'll have to go through Porsche North America and acquire a certificate of authenticity. The COA should confirm that the car is a model year 1954 and give the date it was manufactured (not when it was ordered or when it was delivered). My theory is that US dealers might have been tempted to sell and title a '54 model as a '55 so that they were the "newest" model competing with cars from Detroit. New model US cars hit the showrooms in September while Porsche might have been manufacturing current models through February or March of the next year.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesa ... henticity/
Typically there is a lot of interesting dialogue in the Authenticity Corner of the Forum regarding pre-A cars, and you can find decades of discussions by using Search. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in this organization, all willing to help!
Good luck with your project and post some photos when you can.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Dan Watson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan Watson »

Ron and Spencer, thanks for the welcome. I will get the COA then and we can go from there. I will document what information i find here or in a build thread. Ill get a chance soon to head back to the shop and take some photos and do some more investigating on the body of the car.
1954 356
1969 911T (Sold)
1960 B (sold)

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Harrison »

Hello Dan, and welcome to the forum. You will not find a better source to get your car to whatever level of restoration you are shooting for. From authenticity, to parts, to advice on "how to" there are many lifetime's of experience here to draw from.
I personally love the 54 and 55 year cars. A lot of changes were afoot in Porsche at that time and it makes for interesting investigating. Do tell the history of your car thus far....sounds like you've maybe had it for a while and are just now getting to getting going on it? Or is it a new acquisition? Either way, you're in for a lot of fun,...and at times, probably a little frustration too. haha. Getting the missing parts together for a 54 can be a challenge and I hope your car is fairly complete to start with. As for mfgr year vs model year, I know that 52900 was manufactured in 54 and sold and titled as a 55 car,..so it's possible yours might be done the same way. What does your title or bill of sale say? But either way, if it was made in 54 it would have the 54 stuff,...like the pre A engine without the third piece, and the hood handle before the Porsche crest showed up. Other small things are also 54 era like the lack of a front anti sway bar, and the appearance of different interior knob choices (ivory, grey, or beige) etc. My one definite piece of advice is to try and document everything you can as you do disassembly....they're only original once, and the chance to see how it was done by Hans and Franz at the factory is priceless.

I love it,...every time you think all the early unrestored cars are known,...someone comes out of the woodwork with a project that disproves the assumption, and I think that's grand. You are right,...you are in for a long process, but very rewarding. Nothing prettier than a bent window coupe I say. Speedsters are nice,....but that bent coupe captures the classic lines of the original design better than any other model in my opinion. Your intention of posting some pics and maybe starting a restoration thread over in the projects section would make all of us Pre A junkies really happy....Everybody loves pictures, pictures, pictures. :) :D

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Harrison »

Also Dan,..let us know, in general, where you're located. You don't have to be overly specific, but to know what general area you are in will often yield a wealth of help from folks local to you. This is a big club, and you might be surprised at the expertise you'll find within shouting distance,...or a short drive at least haha.

Ed Lawrence
356 Fan
Tag: Keeping the 356 Faith!

#7 Post by Ed Lawrence »

Welcome Dan! Please keep us updated with pictures during the restoration.
Ed Lawrence
1959 sunroof coupe
Instagram - @the.ed.lawrence
www.356sog.org

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#8 Post by James Davies »

Welcome Dan.

Your car is definitely a '54 model year which finished production in late 1954. It would have had the 2-piece case motor.

Cut-offs for model and calender years can be found in the VIN DB link at the top of the page. Just type in a chassis number, and you will see where it falls in the series with beginning and ending chassis numbers of that series.

Share some photos. We like photos.

There's lots of information available on the forum via Google search, though '54s are poorly covered compared to '53 and '55. There's a couple of real experts with '54 cars here though, so I'm sure they will pipe up. =)

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#9 Post by Jim Liberty »

Hi and welcome. I have restored a few Pre-A cars. If I can be of any help on your project, e-mail me any time.

............................................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Dan Watson
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dan Watson »

Thank you all for the welcome and help. I will keep you posted with updates soon. Ive got a big block of work and training coming up but I hope to make some initial progress soon.

Dan
1954 356
1969 911T (Sold)
1960 B (sold)

Dan Watson
356 Fan

COA information

#11 Post by Dan Watson »

Hi all,

Its been awhile, but thats how this project will go. Its a side project for me taking second seat to real estate and retirement planning. Only extra money will go to this car and it will be a multi-year project.

Speaking to PCNA I ordered the COA and got some Kardex info while I wait for it to arrive in the mail.

My 1954 is a 1500, its original color was Graphite Metallic/5403.
Interior is Leatherette either Red or Green

Attached is a photo as it sits. I will continue to replace some structural members and then get it dipped to clear out any extra rust and the layers of paint. Then I will know how much more work needs to be done.

I am excited about the color, its one of my favorites, though I don't think Ive seen a Pre A that I didn't like :)
Attachments
pass front.jpeg
1954 356
1969 911T (Sold)
1960 B (sold)

Dan Watson
356 Fan

Thinking of selling this project....

#12 Post by Dan Watson »

I do not really want to sell this project, but I am thinking about it. I can't see getting to it for another couple years. I have an idea of what I would like to get but at the same time it doesn't cost me anything but time sitting around. I feel I will regret the sale, but also feel like I could enjoy a newer Porsche with my father while I have the chance. If anyone is interested in a 54 bend window project let me know. I have the COA. It will need most everything. I do have a dash for it. Body is mostly solid, minimal rust. Not a planter box like some Ive seen out there :)
1954 356
1969 911T (Sold)
1960 B (sold)

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#13 Post by Jim Liberty »

I am restoring #51665. I is in final paint prep, and should be in color later this month. Mine is a Jan., '54 car, and numbers matching. Jump in and finish it. It will be a great learning experience. Takes me a year to do one of these cars, and I work on it every day. Also $100/$150K+ out of pocket, not including the car. We do everything here except the upholstery, and trans rebuild.

.........................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Dan Watson
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dan Watson »

Jim, congrats on the final home run stretch of your build. Post up some pictures when your finished.
1954 356
1969 911T (Sold)
1960 B (sold)

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#15 Post by Jim Liberty »

Will do Dan. This is a "Sonderausfuhrung" car. Special order. Black over Green with a Maroon dash. I have the Reutter book from Erlknoig Classic, and it also lists Green carpet, and head liner. Unusual combination, I would never have guessed without the Reutter documents. ...............Jim.
Jim Liberty