Knecht Canister/Filter type what do I need?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Dumond
356 Fan

Knecht Canister/Filter type what do I need?

#1 Post by Greg Dumond »

I am looking to remove my Weber carbs and replace them with the correct Zeniths plus the correct filter or canisters. I see there are two styles offered, one being the Canister type and the other a Wire mesh filter without the canister. I have a 1957 356A early T1 cabriolet with a 1600 normal engine. My mechanic states that I should be using the wire mesh style Filter because the canisters weren't offered until 1958. I'd like to get the opinions from the experts here on the forum. What set up is period correct for my car?

I appreciate your help!
Attachments
Knecht Air Filter.jpg
Knecht Air Filter.jpg (22.83 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
Kneicht Canister.jpg

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

Re: Knecht Canister/Filter type what do I need?

#2 Post by Steve Harrison »

My vote is for the the wire mesh type, but some true experts might disagree.
Just for interests sake,...does your engine have the removeable pulley seal piece? Those were up to 57 1/2 or so.
Wonder if the change of filter type coencided with the engine change.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alan Hall »

I believe your mechanic is correct. The canister type were initially on super motors in '58 and then on all motors by '59, at least that is how I recall it.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

Greg,
I'm also pretty sure the sparrow-catcher is proper for your car, but you might consider getting the other version for daily use. The mesh really isn't a "filter" as it is now commonly understood; the other one is.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Weiss »

The cannister filters do a better job of filtering dust/debris vs the earlier mesh filters. For proper 'dust catching', they're considered a wet-type which requires a light oil spray (or maybe WD 40?); however, they would require more cleaning schedules depending on miles driven--dusty miles that is!

Dick

Greg Dumond
356 Fan

#6 Post by Greg Dumond »

Steve Harrison wrote:My vote is for the the wire mesh type, but some true experts might disagree.
Just for interests sake,...does your engine have the removeable pulley seal piece? Those were up to 57 1/2 or so.
Wonder if the change of filter type coencided with the engine change.

Steve I'm not sure about the removable pulley seal piece. Not sure what to even look for?

Greg Dumond
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Dumond »

Ron LaDow wrote:Greg,
I'm also pretty sure the sparrow-catcher is proper for your car, but you might consider getting the other version for daily use. The mesh really isn't a "filter" as it is now commonly understood; the other one is.
Ron, I tend to agree with you. The canister seems like it would be a cleaner choice. Having both is a good option. I'm assuming the bottom clamp fits the same so it would be a quick change of parts. I can put the mesh on for the car shows!

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ron LaDow »

GregDumond wrote:Ron, I tend to agree with you. The canister seems like it would be a cleaner choice. Having both is a good option. I'm assuming the bottom clamp fits the same so it would be a quick change of parts. I can put the mesh on for the car shows!
Yes, there is no difference in the mounting and both will also cut a groove into the tops of your carbs unless they are really tight.
As a shameless promotion, Pre Mat has a part that can be installed in the canister which can stop that. And I guess, if you wanted to fiddle with it, it could also do the same for the sparrow strainers.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#9 Post by Steve Harrison »

The removeable seal retainer I mentioned would be where the pulley seal is. Sometime in 57 it changed from a removeable ring to just a machined in depression in the casting of the third piece to receive the pulley seal. If you look behind the pulley (or in front if you're a stickler for the direction of the engine layout) you'll either see a line where two pieces are gasketed together, or just a smooth cast transition protruding from the third piece toward inside behind the pulley. The removeable sealing ring type set up doesn't have a reinforcing gussett either.
Just curious.

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Greg, just so you know, the early '57s didn't have Zeniths. They came with single barrel Solexes with a smaller steel mesh filter. No canister was available to fit. The '58 model was the first year for Zeniths.

If someone's gone to the trouble to replace fan housing, balance tubes, cross linkage, manifolds and carbs with everything needed for the Zeniths no one looking at the engine will be fooled by the larger mesh filter. Might as well get the early black cans with the three clips and leave the mesh to Briggs and Stratton.

If you like the mesh look for show on the Zeniths, K&N makes a filter to fit them for everyday use which you must clean frequently. No one's posted a how-to for modifying those mesh bodies to contain the later paper filter but that would turn them into true air filters.

Greg Dumond
356 Fan

#11 Post by Greg Dumond »

Dennis,

I appreciate your reply. I was studying some of Charlie White's info on the Zenith carburetors and the years in which the Solex and Zeniths were introduced and here is a link which basically says according to Charlie… the Zenith 32NIX was introduced in January 1957 and were being used on the 356-A 1600 like mine. Although my engine # is 64334. He refers the engine numbers started with 67001. Note the service bulletin is dated #4/58. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but that is what I am interpreting? Need to scroll down a way on the link to read the topic. Not sure when the single barrel Solex was introduced according to Charlie. He only referred to the 2 barrel for the supers introduced in 1960.

http://derwhites356literature.com/LittleKnownFacts.html
The Zenith 32 NDIX carburetor was first introduced in January 1957 on the 356-A Porsches. This dual throat carburetor was fitted to both the 356-A 1600, starting with engine # P-67001 and the 356-A1600-S starting with engine #P-81201. Service Bulletin #4/58.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ron LaDow »

Greg,
Check Steve H's post above. My Speedster had that removable seal mount ring and the Solex single-barrels. That might give you more info. Also, what does your fan housing look like? The Solex and Zenith-fitted cars had different housings.
Dennis,
Did you have the rain gutters removed from your car? It looks very tidy in that area.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

"The Zenith 32 NDIX carburetor was first introduced in January 1957 on the 356-A Porsches. This dual throat carburetor was fitted to both the 356-A 1600, starting with engine # P-67001 and the 356-A1600-S starting with engine #P-81201. Service Bulletin #4/58."

Greg, Your first quoted date is incorrect: It should be late 1957 or early 1958, (built for the '58 model year), thus the SB dated 1958. For example my car was built in the first half of 1957, SN 65882 and equipped with the single barrel 32PBIC Solexes & mesh filter as in your first pic along with aluminum cylinders, the horizontal carb sync linkage and balance tube around the rear arch of the fan shroud.

Refer to the Porsche "little spec book" pg.8: Normal cars built before Sept. of '57 used the single barrel Solexes, engine series ran through SN 69999. Those built from September on used the Zeniths, engine series SN 67001 and up.

Your engine SN 64334, which predates mine is in the series that used the Solex PBIC; SN 63927 through 66999. It therefore used the attractive but useless spark arrestors. Sounds like someone converted it to Webers using later Zenith NDIX spec parts. Adapting the early Solex linkage to Webers would be a nightmare. (Later Solex two barrels were entirely different from either the early ones or the Zeniths, closer to the Webers in layout.)

(ref."Design Types, Specifications, Tolerances, 3rd English Edition" and elsewhere)

Hi, Ron. That would be cool. It's just an artifact of the strong NM light and that color which hides lighter shadows.

(edited typo)

Gary Meyer
356 Fan

#14 Post by Gary Meyer »

I have a 1960 Porsche roadster 1600 super. I bought it in Oct of 1960 from Dick McKee. Dick got the car new in Apr. of 1960. It had, and still does, the mesch air filters.

Greg Dumond
356 Fan

#15 Post by Greg Dumond »

Dennis, I took a look at the specs book and your right the date showing the use of Zeniths started in September. The quote I mentioned of the Zeniths starting in January of 1957 actually came out of Charlie White's website in the little known facts section. Who am I to argue with Charlie's expertise?

I hadn't noticed this before until we starting talking about this but I just took a look at my 356A driver's manual SEPTEMBER 1957 Edition and it features the Zenith Carbs. It would be interesting to know if anyone has an earlier edition of a 1957 Drivers Manual showing the Solex carbs?

Porsche really complicated things when they made the 1957 mid year changes from The T1 to the T2s in more ways than one! Fun stuff to try and keep track of!

Steve and Ron, unfortunately I cannot answer your questions right now as my car is in the restoration shop. Will get back with you as soon as I can. To be continued!