Which Aluminum Oil Cooler Should I Get?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Which Aluminum Oil Cooler Should I Get?

#16 Post by David Jones »

It is virtually impossible to change the cooler without dropping the engine. In theory it may be possible but in practice it is not.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#17 Post by Emil Wojcik »

David Jones wrote:It is virtually impossible to change the cooler without dropping the engine. In theory it may be possible but in practice it is not.
I think Dick would disagree:
Dick Weiss wrote:...A '65 case in my former coupe actually cracked off next to the inlet hole and another broke off next to the outlet hole; again, both were repaired w/o a tear down and my engine was still in the car! ...
Dick
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#18 Post by Martin Benade »

The T6 coupe has a larger engine opening than older cars and open cars, which would be a big help to removing the cooler with the engine in the car.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#19 Post by David Jones »

I stand corrected but I would still remove the engine as being the easy way to facilitate the change. It has to be a very tight squeeze to get the fan shroud out and back in and getting the screws in for the tinwork after re-assembly would not be easy.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#20 Post by Martin Benade »

I did it in a parking lot in Wyoming once, it was not fun but my floor jack was 1000 miles away.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#21 Post by DonCichocki »

Yes, although I bet someone pulled it off with the engine in and I also bet he won't try it again!

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#22 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

You speaking from experience, Don ? :D
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

David Maxwell
356 Fan

#23 Post by David Maxwell »

DonCichocki wrote:If you ever have an original steel cooler crack from age with the resultant oil mess ALL over the engine compartment you'll wish you replaced it when you had the chance. Even if it isn't leaking I would replace it and pass the original on to the next owner, just my $.02.
This is the other impetus for my question - I'd rather replace it before it cracks than after, and given the car is 50 years old, it's bound to happen sooner or later (and probably at a really inopportune time). I'll keep the steel cooler of course, for when I find the car's original engine and sell the current engine to whomever needs it (a nice dream, I know).

Ben Wainscott
356 Fan

#24 Post by Ben Wainscott »

No problem changing out the cooler in a C with the engine in. Due to the square top hat on the aluminum cooler I needed to take off the engine hood to get the fan housing back on.
Ben Wainscott
65 SC S/R coupe
89 911 Carrera
63 Vespa 150
80 Vespa P200e

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#25 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi All
VP has just received production an aluminum oil cooler that incorporates changes recommended by John Wilhoit.
from left to right
1. a cooler that is available from the aftermarket looks crude has 5 passes
2. the obsolete aluminum cooler was expensive to manufacture has 6 passes but can be restrictive in airflow
3. the generic cooler that is available has 4 passes very similar to the Airflow version
4. the VP one that is like #3 but has the rectangular top like the stock early B and has improved airfoils
5. the new VP one that is identical to #4 but has the small top. Wilhoit requested that since he liked the airflow of #4 over #2 and the top of #3. 3,4,5 are Manufactured by the Aero Classics but 4+5 are propriety VP ones.
Attachments
DSC_0118.JPG
DSC_0117.JPG
Last edited by Jacques Lefriant on Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#26 Post by C J Murray »

What changes?

Please explain your potpourri of coolers picture. What is what?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#27 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

CJ just finished editing go back

C J Murray
356 Fan

#28 Post by C J Murray »

If you sent the 3 on the right to NASA for testing would they conclude that they all cooled the same and that the rational approach would be to make only 1 version and reduce the price due to economy of scale?

I am guessing that nobody has done real testing of any of these coolers including the originals that would determine the benefits or failings regarding oil flow, pressure drop, cooling efficiency, effect on left or right side cylinder cooling, and so on.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#29 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi CJ
some testing has been done. all but #2 have the same airflow as some of the stock ones. VW addressed the problem of cylinder 3+4 cooling with their Dog House version when it became an issue with more engine power. There has been at least 2000 alloy coolers installed so if they were a problem it would have been reported.
j
BTW the #4 will work better since there is more surface area and contact to the passes than #3 these coolers are bar and plate construction so the core is the critical component and is labor intensive. even thought Aero had the #3 in their repertoire VP had the #5 designed to use the same core as #4. Production of #3 had been less than 200 units #4 is approaching 900 units #5 just started.
Last edited by Jacques Lefriant on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#30 Post by Dick Weiss »

Adding to my previous comment about replacing an oil cooler w/o droping the engine, I wouldn't do it again
now-a-days as the refitment of the sheet metal and screws will be the biggest difficulty unless it wa properly done @ previous assembly.
When I repaired the 2-broken pieces (1-each engine), I bonded them to its mating surface and added 3-special
screws for reinforcement and missing the oil holes. In future rebuilds, I'm considering doing this to the mounting pad to prevent future cracking--epecially on the early case pad w/o the under-gusset reinforcement.

Dick