1963 drum brakes specs

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Beam
356 Fan

1963 drum brakes specs

#1 Post by Jim Beam »

I was typing a post and it went South. So, sorry if this appears as a duplicate. Question, on a 1963 B Coupe with drum brakes, what should I expect for brake performance. Example: with factory spec brakes, assume driving at 60 mph, panic application of brakes, what distance to stop?
1963B (T6) Coupe
1987 3.2 Carrera
1985 FJ60 Landcruiser
1993 Miata

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: 1963 drum brakes specs

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

I don't recall the figure of stopping distance(s) w/drum or disc brakes.
However, several things for drum braking action will be needed to proper stopping.

Drum I/Ds w/in specs; roundness, no liner taper/straightness, no cracks or corrosion, shoe material thickness & arced to the I/D for full contact, wheel cylinder assemblies, and proper adjustment of the shoes.
Further, the master cylinder and brake hoses; finally--proper flush/bleeding and proper break-in
around 50-100 miles. It may require another adjustment after the break-in

Dick

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Pretty sure the 'throttle' here is the tires. IOWs, you should be able to lock the brakes and your ability to modulate the brakes at the limit of tire traction is the deciding factor on stopping distance.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jules Dielen »

Jim, have you tried a panic stop? Can you make the front wheels lock up on your drum brake car? if so, your tires are indeed the limiting factor. If not, it is all about the power you have in your right leg.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.