The 25 Greatest Designers of All Time

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
ray nelson
356 Fan

The 25 Greatest Designers of All Time

#1 Post by ray nelson »

After many years of reading and subscribing to multiple car magazines i've distilled it down to only two; the Registry and Automobile.
Why Automobile, well their rate was cheap and they sent me a cheap watch too 8)
Anyway to get to the meat of this I just received their May issue and immediately went to the article shown in the Topic. Hey I'm an architect and the visual appeal of the car was almost as important to me as performance. My immediate thought was "did they include Erwin Komenda or not?" Well thank you Mr Cumborford for acknowledging this long under credited designer. Yes I know most of the long term cognoscenti of the 356 have always known that Erwin Komenda was the designer of the 356 but his role had been downplayed over the years.
The iconic shape created by Mr. Komenda still lives on in present day Porsches. A tribute to the genius of that initial chemistry between the engineering of the Porsche family and the clean intelligent aesthetics of Erwin Komenda.

Ray

Michael Ufford
356 Fan

Re: The 25 Greatest Designers of All Time

#2 Post by Michael Ufford »

Thanks for this. I'm a Komenda fan as well. Don't forget the 550 spyder.

http://www.komenda-porsche-designer.at
Mike
Toronto
T-5 Coupe 

DonCichocki
356 Fan

Re: The 25 Greatest Designers of All Time

#3 Post by DonCichocki »

The "Secret history" section in the above link is interesting reading. IMO Komenda doesn't get enough credit for the work he did for Porsche.