Richard Troy

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike DeJonge
356 Fan

Richard Troy

#1 Post by Mike DeJonge »

Anybody had any experience with Richard Troy from San Francisco?
Mike dejonge
Restoration Design Inc.
52 Pre A Body Bumper X2
53 Pre A coupe
54 Pre A speedster
56 Speedster
60 D'letern Roadster
67 911
05 997

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Richard Troy

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Run away!!

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Tell us how you really feel Vic :D
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

Jim at EASY has some funny stories about him.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#5 Post by James Davies »

Richard used to be very active on 356Talk about 15 years ago. He knows his 2-piece case Porsche motors. I have not dealt with him personally though.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Richard is a customer, so I'm an interested party, but we have no problems doing business.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

George Walling
356 Fan

#7 Post by George Walling »

I had Richard Troy build me a engine for my 55 Speedster. I have about 3000 miles on the engine so far it is doing great, runs really smooth and has plenty of power. I'm no expert on Porsche engines but I'm very satisfied with the work he did and the engine performance. I was in bad need of a engine for my Speedster as it had been in storage since 1976 to 2007 I'm on a very tight budget as I'm retired military and I could not find anyone interested in trading some of the labor for all the engine parts I had, which was 3 engine cases with cranks and heads plus I had some bearings and other misc engine parts. I seen Richard had a add for a engine here so I contacted him about the engine and it had sold. We talked and I told him my problem and about what I had in parts he told me to bring them down to his shop and we would go from there, well long story short I spent a week with Richard as he assembled my engine he taught me a lot about these engines and I had a very good experience dealing with him. I have heard some folks here don't care for him and I don't understand why but that is between him and them but for my part I was very fortunate to meet him and have know complaints about the work he did for me and what he charged me for the engine. I know that if it wasn't for his help my Speedster would still be setting while I try and save money up for a engine that was being quoted to be at 10,000 to 15,000 bucks. I hope this is help for people wanting to know about Richard. Also I had Ron La Dow rebuild my Zenith Carbs for this engine and I would recommend his shop for any carb work, my Zeniths have preformed perfect right out of the box.

Thanks Richard & Ron for all your help

George
George E Walling

Miguel Antonetti
356 Fan

#8 Post by Miguel Antonetti »

George Walling wrote:I had Richard Troy build me a engine for my 55 Speedster. I have about 3000 miles on the engine so far it is doing great, runs really smooth and has plenty of power. I'm no expert on Porsche engines but I'm very satisfied with the work he did and the engine performance. I was in bad need of a engine for my Speedster as it had been in storage since 1976 to 2007 I'm on a very tight budget as I'm retired military and I could not find anyone interested in trading some of the labor for all the engine parts I had, which was 3 engine cases with cranks and heads plus I had some bearings and other misc engine parts. I seen Richard had a add for a engine here so I contacted him about the engine and it had sold. We talked and I told him my problem and about what I had in parts he told me to bring them down to his shop and we would go from there, well long story short I spent a week with Richard as he assembled my engine he taught me a lot about these engines and I had a very good experience dealing with him. I have heard some folks here don't care for him and I don't understand why but that is between him and them but for my part I was very fortunate to meet him and have know complaints about the work he did for me and what he charged me for the engine. I know that if it wasn't for his help my Speedster would still be setting while I try and save money up for a engine that was being quoted to be at 10,000 to 15,000 bucks. I hope this is help for people wanting to know about Richard. Also I had Ron La Dow rebuild my Zenith Carbs for this engine and I would recommend his shop for any carb work, my Zeniths have preformed perfect right out of the box.

Thanks Richard & Ron for all your help

George
Very nice!!!

I personally don't know any of the players on this matter... but George's write up is refreshing, regardless!

Mike DeJonge
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mike DeJonge »

I have spoken to several parties privately, and from what I have heard, tread cautiously
Mike dejonge
Restoration Design Inc.
52 Pre A Body Bumper X2
53 Pre A coupe
54 Pre A speedster
56 Speedster
60 D'letern Roadster
67 911
05 997

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#10 Post by Jim Liberty »

I'll say it again "Buy the seller not the car or part". ...............................Jim.
Jim Liberty

George Walling
356 Fan

#11 Post by George Walling »

Mike you might want to call Richard if you haven't already and talk to him about what you want from your engine rebuild and then schedule a time that you could meet with Richard at his shop and look his operation over. I found Richard very willing to meet with at his shop and talk about what I expected from his rebuilt engine for my Speedster and the dollars I had to spend. I did not expect a $15,000 US dollar engine rebuild but I did expect a nice smooth running dependable engine which I can say so far I have received that. I know that I only have a little over 3000 mile on the engine so some may think I'm being a little over the top making such a early evaluation of the engine he built, but is has been my experience in the water cooled American Iron engine that most problems will show up in the first 1000 to 1500 miles.
So if you have the time and money to meet with Richard that is what I would recommend but then I have always wanted to meet with the folks that was doing major work for me or that I was doing for them. You can tell a lot about a person by seeing his shop and the condition he work in.

Good luck with your choice for a engine rebuild
George E Walling

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dave Wildrick »

On the old 356talk, which was a talk list on “email only” and predated the current web site, there were many heated exchanges between Harry Pellow (the “Maestro”) and Richard Troy.
Pellow had little respect for Richard, and some of their arguments were really funny and extreme enough that occasionally both of them got kicked off the talk list for a while.
With an ego even larger than Harry’s, Richard soon resurfaced on 356talk under the alter ego “Matt Three,” but it was pretty transparent from his email, okitsme@ghia.sciencetools.com, who it really was.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Charlie White
356 Fan

#13 Post by Charlie White »

Richard was occasionally a "flame thrower" on the old email list,
but many times he was a really good guy! Back in those days, it
was sometimes like the wild, wild, west!

CW
Charlie White