Advice needed on 356B Driving Lights

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

Re: Advice needed on 356B Driving Lights

#16 Post by Mike Smith »

I did NOT add the factory relay, which will turn the fog lights off if the high beams are illuminated.
NOTE- Jim Nelsons Quote

The correct Relay 6v is Bright Yellow - marked W-594/P/St
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#17 Post by Mike Wilson »

Larry, thanks for the explanation. Very helpful.

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Max Imber
356 Fan

#18 Post by Max Imber »

Thank you for all of the advice everyone. This information has definitely brought up new concerns as my car is a 6v with the 140 watt generator.

What is the safest way to run driving lights with a 140 watt generator? I'm assuming I will only be able to run either the headlights or the driving light, but not both at the same time?

Also, as for the driving light switch, I do not want to drill any holes. Any ideas on getting around this? Can the first pull on the headlight knob (i.e. pulling the knob to turn on gauge lights only) be somehow used for the driving lights as well?

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#19 Post by Larry Coreth »

Max Imber

140 Watt generator !!?
A 356 B should have a 200 watt generator!! Suggest you verify that number. Even the 356A's had a 160 watt gen.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Mike Wilson »

If you don't want to drill any holes, perhaps consider removing the accessory outlet underneath the dash below the ignition switch and install the switch there.

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Max Imber
356 Fan

#21 Post by Max Imber »

Oops, I mean I have a 160 watt generator. It's a T5 coupe

That's a good idea about removing the accessory outlet for the switch. I think I'd like to investigate using that approach.

What is the diameter of the hole in the dash for the accessory outlet? Well a standard fog light switch fit here without modification?

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#22 Post by Larry Coreth »

Yes, I forgot the the early T-5's had the 160 watt generator still, my synathies ! :wink:
If I were you I would consider upgrading to the 200watt generator in order to use the driving lights as they should be, i.e. as auxiliary lights to the high beam head lights.
Now as I mentioned previously if you really wanted to have some power to spare and still use those H-1 (55 watt) bulbs,I suggest you get your hands on a 912 generator (12 volt) which comes in two flavors large (420 watt) and small diameter (350 watt). The small dia one is the same size as a356, i.e. direct substitute, with associated regulator of course, in a 356. The large ( from '68 or '69) will require a different gen. regulator, oil filler stand, fan cover etc. A lot of work and cost just to be able to blind on-coming traffic when they fail to dim their lights but then are you looking to see well at night or just look good in the daytime ?
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Max Imber
356 Fan

#23 Post by Max Imber »

Thanks for the info Larry, swapping out the generator would turn this into a much bigger project than what I'm looking for. I would like to work with what I have although it is starting to look like this project won't be possible with a 160 watt generator.

I suppose my only option is to run one set of lights at a time?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#24 Post by Mike Wilson »

I know the A cars had driving/rally lights so they must have figured out how to run both headlights and driving lights at the same time using relays and maybe upgrading the generators.

Max: the hole for the accessory plug is larger than a fog/driving light switch so you wouldn't have to enlarge the hole but maybe shim with a washer. Another option would be reroute the turn signal switch wires. If you look to the right and underneath of the steering column, you'll see the wires routed through a hole in the brace. If you reroute those wires over the column instead of through the hole, you can use that hole to mount a simple push/pull switch. I've done that for a few people who wanted an electric fuel pump primer kit but didn't want any holes drilled for the switch.

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Max Imber
356 Fan

#25 Post by Max Imber »

Mike Wilson wrote:I know the A cars had driving/rally lights so they must have figured out how to run both headlights and driving lights at the same time using relays and maybe upgrading the generators.
Do any A or B owners have a safe solution for this?

Also, where can I find a correct switch for the driving lights? It is my understanding that the factory switches did not have the small light integrated in the knob.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#26 Post by Mike Wilson »

I know the factory and now replacement switches for fog lights do have the illuminated yellow dot. I honestly don't know if there was a different switch for driving lights. I haven't seen it in the parts manuals. Anyone?

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jeffrey Fellman
356 Fan

#27 Post by Jeffrey Fellman »

I would be happy to talk to you about switching to my new lights both headlight and driving lights. My SMD headlights only draw one amp each on high beam [ they have low and high by the way] and I have modified bulbs that can be fit in most style driving lights. Call me at 941 321 9389 to discuss. https://porsche356registry.org/classifieds/6082

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#28 Post by James Learmonth »

Max,
If you are concerned about having enough total generator power for the driving lights you could reduce the load by getting a set of LED headlights that Jeffery Feldman is selling. Check Classico Wheels on the resource page. I would suggest calling Jeffery directly. I think they woul reduce the total load on your system.

Jim