58 wiper won't stop

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jay Darlington
356 Fan

58 wiper won't stop

#1 Post by Jay Darlington »

on my 58 wipers i put in a 12 V armature so the seller said. it still does about 80mph and won't park or stop. so i bought one of the voltage reducers that Jurgen Amtmann had posted about a few months ago. it works great wipers have the right speed BUT still won't park or stop. the only way i can get them to stop is to stop them with my hand. it takes a good bit of resistance to make them stop. ANY IDEAS????
Jay D.
jay darlington

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: 58 wiper won't stop

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

Go back to 6volt :D
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

You have probably have the switched power and park wires reversed The motor gets two power inputs, one is constant for the park mode, the other is switched to operate the wiper. When the power is switched off from the dash, the constant power source brings the motor to the park position and the internal switch opens and the motor stops. Leave the brown wire alone, and swap the other two.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#4 Post by Greg Scallon »

Jay,
It could also be that your motor is wired right but the two sets of small points within the motor aren't working correctly. I had a similar issue recently and had to open the cover on the motor and slightly bend my second set of points such that it made contact. That second set of points is responsible for actively braking the motor, stopping it and cutting power to the first set so it parks correctly. If they aren't working, the motor will just blow past them each revolution and keep cranking away. It's difficult to describe but if you think it's wired correctly and you're still having the problem, I would suggest pulling the motor and opening it up. It'll be pretty obvious.

Here are a few photos showing the points. I have a video of them working on my workbench too. Send me your email if you'd like to see it.

Regards,
-Greg
Attachments
IMG_9087.jpeg
IMG_9084.jpeg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jay Darlington »

Greg Scallon wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:07 am Jay,
It could also be that your motor is wired right but the two sets of small points within the motor aren't working correctly. I had a similar issue recently and had to open the cover on the motor and slightly bend my second set of points such that it made contact. That second set of points is responsible for actively braking the motor, stopping it and cutting power to the first set so it parks correctly. If they aren't working, the motor will just blow past them each revolution and keep cranking away. It's difficult to describe but if you think it's wired correctly and you're still having the problem, I would suggest pulling the motor and opening it up. It'll be pretty obvious.

Here are a few photos showing the points. I have a video of them working on my workbench too. Send me your email if you'd like to see it.

Regards,
-Greg
greg I think your right. when i put resistance on the wiper arm after i shut the switch off (wipers still running) they will stop . when i pull the fuse wile they are running they stop, BUT when i replace the fuse they will park. take the wiper system OUT! i would rather sort out Porcupines! if you don't mind please send me the video jjdarlington@charter.net
Jay D.
jay darlington

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jay Darlington »

John Brooks wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:38 am You have probably have the switched power and park wires reversed The motor gets two power inputs, one is constant for the park mode, the other is switched to operate the wiper. When the power is switched off from the dash, the constant power source brings the motor to the park position and the internal switch opens and the motor stops. Leave the brown wire alone, and swap the other two.
seams like i did this the first time putting the car together. i will check it out thanks
Jay D.
jay darlington

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Scallon »

Jay,
If they stop when you put resistance on them, I'm guessing they are wired correctly but your braking points aren't working correctly, as I'd described above. I'll shoot you the video and a few more photos and you can take a look.

Cheers,
-Greg
Last edited by Greg Scallon on Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#8 Post by Wes Bender »

Or is the mechanism running so effortlessly that the momentum is carrying it past the "points open" position? I know. That's somewhat of a reach, but the thought came to me (and it's not even cocktail hour yet).
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#9 Post by Greg Scallon »

Wes,
If the braking points are connecting, they do a very good job of halting the mechanism, even if it's twirling fast and smooth and would otherwise overrun the unpowered 1/4 section.

Regards,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

gregg hake
356 Fan

#10 Post by gregg hake »

My wipers also wouldnt stop. I messed around and found that my wiper switch was not grounded well. I got behind the dash and cleaned up the back of the dash so the switch touched raw metal on the backside. Works perfect now.

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jay Darlington »

Greg Scallon wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:24 pm Jay,
If they stop when you put resistance on them, I'm guessing they are wired correctly but your braking points aren't working correctly, as I'd described above. I'll shoot you the video and a few more photos and you can take a look.

Cheers,
-Greg
THANKS MUCH!!!
jay darlington

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jay Darlington »

Wes Bender wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:09 pm Or is the mechanism running so effortlessly that the momentum is carrying it past the "points open" position? I know. That's somewhat of a reach, but the thought came to me (and it's not even cocktail hour yet). I thought this, but i had both arms and blades running on a dry windshield thats about as good as its going to get.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jay Darlington »

gregg hake wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:07 pm My wipers also wouldnt stop. I messed around and found that my wiper switch was not grounded well. I got behind the dash and cleaned up the back of the dash so the switch touched ,

I wouldn't think they would work at all, but its worth a try. thanks
Jay D.
jay darlington

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#14 Post by Jim Liberty »

Wes, cocktail hour is all day. ........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#15 Post by Wes Bender »

I'll tell Claudia, but it may not fly.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....