New Member To The Family

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

Re: New Member To The Family

#46 Post by Dan Kalinski »

glen hamner wrote:No gear heads heading your way, at least not as of now. If my son ever relocates to NW Washington or Vancouver, BC, Cherly and I may consider leaving Texas to be closer to the grand kids. Not a big opportunity for that kind of change in our future, we're still hoping that a teaching position in south Texas inspires that family to relocate closer to us. South Texas, north of San Antonio and maybe a little west has a climate that receives a large dose of the dry line from the westerlies most of the year. Sometimes the Gulf moisture creeps in to remind me of what living in south Louisiana was like in my youth, but, its soon displaced by another movement of the dry line and all is back to the way we like it.

Still, I would never say never to Washington state.
We have many fond memories of San Antonio. Was stationed at Fort Sam Houston, for advanced training and was married at the chapel there. August Lukeman, was the Chaplin and was a fine fellow. Our first "Tex-Mex" dinner was along the River Walk and had no idea what we ordered, but can tell you, the food was wonderful!

Have returned to this fine city many times for business meetings and have always enjoyed the time spent there.

Making more progress on the '59:

Pretty sure that deep scratch to the left is garage rash. Hauling out the aluminum extension ladder to clean the gutters is my guess........

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#47 Post by Mike Horton »

A Ruby Red '59 Super coupe, driven by the Lycoming aviation engine tech rep out of OK City, OK, who called on us in Lubbock, TX, as we were the Piper A/C & Lycoming factory approved local repair facility then (Hmmmm air cooled opposed piston engines?...), was one of the two 356s which led to my addiction, which has lasted from '64 through today. That one was bought new at the factory by the guy, and he drove it on the highway on Goodyear Blue Streak racing tires. I doubt it had a stock engine, once he got it got home, but in chromed wheels, luggage rack, and Talbot driver's mirror, was gorgeous! The other, was a '63 Normal coupe in Champagne Yellow, and was the first one in which I rode, and the rest, they say, is...
My first was a '57 T1 Normal coupe, which I rolled more miles on than any I've had since, it was my daily driver while in college. I love your '59, it sure brings back fond memories, Congratulations!
Mike

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#48 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Mike Horton wrote:A Ruby Red '59 Super coupe, driven by the Lycoming aviation engine tech rep out of OK City, OK, who called on us in Lubbock, TX, as we were the Piper A/C & Lycoming factory approved local repair facility then (Hmmmm air cooled opposed piston engines?...), was one of the two 356s which led to my addiction, which has lasted from '64 through today. That one was bought new at the factory by the guy, and he drove it on the highway on Goodyear Blue Streak racing tires. I doubt it had a stock engine, once he got it got home, but in chromed wheels, luggage rack, and Talbot driver's mirror, was gorgeous! The other, was a '63 Normal coupe in Champagne Yellow, and was the first one in which I rode, and the rest, they say, is...
My first was a '57 T1 Normal coupe, which I rolled more miles on than any I've had since, it was my daily driver while in college. I love your '59, it sure brings back fond memories, Congratulations!
Thanks for your post, Mike!

It is so interesting to learn how others have become enamored with these cars. In '64, was 12 years old and heavy into building model cars and soon to be addicted to building and racing slot cars. Was not even aware of the 356 in those days because at that time, it was the Corvette and the new Mustang that held most every young kids attention.

Good to read that my little car has been able to bring back some great memories. Looking forward to the new adventures it will bring to us as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to post to this thread.

Best,

Dan K.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#49 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Right door is completed and the deco has been cleaned up as well. The decos are pretty nasty looking and wanted to remove to sand the area around them, but could not get the nuts off and did not want to damage them:

To clean, used a wood golfball tee to get the overspray/crud off from the rubber and between the body, lacquer thinner and 4-0 steel wool to clean the rubber/aluminum. There is no fear using lacquer thinner near or on the paint:

Left door will be next and believe there is more previous body work here. At least, once it is sanded/polished, there won't be any more orange peel.

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#50 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Dan,

Its what's behind the deco and the rusted screws that needs your attention. Apply some penetrating oil or your favorite solution and find out what's behind that deco. You'll never be sorry you made the effort.

glen
Boerne, Texas

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#51 Post by Dan Kalinski »

glen hamner wrote:Dan,

Its what's behind the deco and the rusted screws that needs your attention. Apply some penetrating oil or your favorite solution and find out what's behind that deco. You'll never be sorry you made the effort.

glen
Boerne, Texas
Thanks, Glen.

Have been squirting "PO" on the nuts holding the side decos. In time, will get them off.

Drivers door turned out pretty good. Much less body work here than anticipated.

Now on to the rear of the car.

Cleaned the interior door panels as well. Found this as a spacer for the window crank. Made me laugh!

A shot of the view from the shop:

david meyers
356 Fan

#52 Post by david meyers »

Whoa Dan, very nice "adoption" my friend ! I've been busy / gone a bunch this spring, was just wondering what you've been up to... didn't know you slipped this little cutie under my "radar" <smile>
I'm sure it will turn out like the rest of your collection/family ..exquisite ! I agree , it's always nice to know as much of the history as possible of our "new members"...it adds to their personality !

Just think, if these little cars could talk, the stories they could tell...
I look forward to seeing it in person...(nice pics, and thread, thanks)
cheers,
david
David Meyers

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#53 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Thanks for your note, David. Sorry to take longer than usual to respond. Was great to see you this morning @ C&C.

Last few weeks have been hectic with preparation of the "City" home to get it ready and put this property on the market. Had to make sure that garages were in top order as well the interior:

Street level garage:

Shop space:

Living:

Deck:

View:

Red-Green:

All the best,

Dan K.