New Member To The Family

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Harrison
356 Fan

Re: New Member To The Family

#16 Post by Steve Harrison »

The history is priceless. Every car has one,...it's just most are full of holes and ghost stories,..hints of the earlier life.
How nice to know the full story. I can see why it means a lot to you when you're considering what to buy, and probably more importantly, to whom the seller considers a worthy steward when it comes time to sell. Looks like it worked out on both fronts in this case.
Congratulations, and love the paint rescue efforts too.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Alan Lay wrote:Dan,

Congrats on your new find.

Alan
Thanks, Alan!

Trust all of your travels have been safe. Will bet you are looking forward to this next season to get some driving in and to see a new location.

All the best to you and family.

Dan.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#18 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Mike Grant wrote:Nice car. Congratulations. Great to find a car with that much history known.
Appreciate your post, Mike.

Keeping the former owner informed on the car as well. It was a real fixture in his life.

Dan.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Steve Harrison wrote:The history is priceless. Every car has one,...it's just most are full of holes and ghost stories,..hints of the earlier life.
How nice to know the full story. I can see why it means a lot to you when you're considering what to buy, and probably more importantly, to whom the seller considers a worthy steward when it comes time to sell. Looks like it worked out on both fronts in this case.
Congratulations, and love the paint rescue efforts too.
Greetings, Steve.

Looking forward to learning more of the history on this car. Have several other cars that have similar backgrounds and are as interesting.

The paint rescue is quite the process too. Amazing that with a few hours, a little bit of effort can make such a dramatic difference. Hopefully, the rest of the car turns out as well as the top did.

Thanks for your post.

Dan K.
Last edited by Dan Kalinski on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Wall
356 Fan

#20 Post by Rick Wall »

Nice car; congratulations. I had a 57 coupe in Tacoma in the late 60's, like Walt Nolte with his 59. Would like to know where it is today. Happy with my current car situation though. Enjoy the car!

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#21 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Moving on to the fenders of the car, the paint under the top coat is revealed as well as some body work. Was a little aggressive with the 600 & 800 paper, but will live with the results for now:

On the right fender, was much more cautious with the 600 & 800 paper. Then; 1000, 1200, 1500, 4 step polish and final seal coat.

PS: Adjusted the valves and changed the oil/filter. Was pleasantly surprised to find the interior of the engine and valve covers were remarkably clean. Don't know about the miles since the rebuild and this was completed in 1985.
Last edited by Dan Kalinski on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#22 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Rick Wall wrote:Nice car; congratulations. I had a 57 coupe in Tacoma in the late 60's, like Walt Nolte with his 59. Would like to know where it is today. Happy with my current car situation though. Enjoy the car!

Thanks, Rick!

Want to get this car all pretty for this year's Bull Session in July.

Best,

Dan K.

Walt Nolte
356 Fan

#23 Post by Walt Nolte »

Dan, don't remember if I responded to your question about the original owner, but I don't know him. Interesting that Rick Wall is posting in this thread about Tacoma in the 1970s and the pulp mill. We were friends then and recently reconnect as I sold him the non-matching engine that was in my 59 when I bought it in 1972. It is a match to a "B" he currently owns. Rick, should we start a new thread on reuniting the engine with the car after 40 + years?

Walt Nolte
59 A Coupe
Currently in Wyoming
but soon to be in CO and MT
walt nolte

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#24 Post by Dan Kalinski »

walt nolte wrote:Dan, don't remember if I responded to your question about the original owner, but I don't know him. Interesting that Rick Wall is posting in this thread about Tacoma in the 1970s and the pulp mill. We were friends then and recently reconnect as I sold him the non-matching engine that was in my 59 when I bought it in 1972. It is a match to a "B" he currently owns. Rick, should we start a new thread on reuniting the engine with the car after 40 + years?

Walt Nolte
59 A Coupe
Currently in Wyoming
but soon to be in CO and MT
Whoa! How cool is that!

Rick Wall
356 Fan

#25 Post by Rick Wall »

Dan, nice progress on your New Member to the Family. Walt, perhaps sharing the connection of our cars over the years would be interesting to others. Although, there are a few twists and turns to the story for readers to keep up with. Wish my car was at the restored condition like yours. Work in progress.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#26 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Rick Wall wrote:Dan, nice progress on your New Member to the Family. Walt, perhaps sharing the connection of our cars over the years would be interesting to others. Although, there are a few twists and turns to the story for readers to keep up with. Wish my car was at the restored condition like yours. Work in progress.
Believe your stories would great reading material. Hope you both decide to publish this on the Registry!

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#27 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Making more progress on the '59. Save for the bumper and cowl, the front is completed:

On to the doors in a few days.

PS: Polished up the overriders and cleaned the rubber decos. On the rubber, used lacquer thinner and they look great.

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#28 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Four post lift and an easy chair on rollers. Now Dan, what's that modified LazyBoy really for?

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#29 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Glen,

Wife has yet to capture me in a photo sound asleep in that chair. This chair originally belonged to my wife's grandfather and it was her Dad's shop chair.

When he died, that chair was given to me.

What it looked like when given to me:

Now, black leather with red piping and side pockets for my favorite mags. Should have thought about cup holders, but, a little side table works just fine.

The casters on the old chair are now on my dolly for the 356 engine:

Best,

Dan K.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#30 Post by Dan Kalinski »

duplicate......