Pre-A clutch cable needed

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Martinez
356 Fan

Pre-A clutch cable needed

#1 Post by Tom Martinez »

I am in immediate need of a Pre-a clutch cable, 356.23.058, the type with sleeve already on it. SMC, and NLA have the part on a 4 week minimum back order, does anyone know where I might find one off the shelf? I'd even take a good used one, as mine is frayed and ready to pop so I'm afraid to drive the car. Perhaps someone could be kind enough to sell me their personal spare, then when the backorder part comes in I'd be happy to replace theirs gratis.

best regards, Tom in SoCal.
Tom Martinez

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Pre-A clutch cable needed

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Tom,
If you can take the time to remove yours and take it to a ship chandler, they can replace the cable with S/S 'rope' and swage it all back together with your jacket still in place.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Tom Martinez
356 Fan

#3 Post by Tom Martinez »

Ron LaDow wrote:take it to a ship chandler
Take it to a who? Never heard of that animal, where do I find it?
I do get your idea though, it will be a bear getting the old cable out because the transmission threaded end is very r***y, I'll probably need to cut the old frayed cable.

Very nice to hear from you Ron, I've been away for several years after selling out but have recently been sucked back in.
Best Regards, Tom
Tom Martinez

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#4 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Tom: A place like Newport Beach, Oceanside, or Dana Point (think "On The Waterfront") will have a "ship chandler".

It is also possible that the "S/S 'rope" that Ron talks about is used in aircraft. Do you know of any stainless steel cable used in aircraft?

If Ron says this will work, it will work (or he lied to you). I've not heard anybody complain about him telling lies, but I've never met his wife! TLC
 KTF, member #15

Tom Martinez
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tom Martinez »

Ah hah, I get it, a boat supply shop might be able to replace the cable, I wonder how they un-swage the ends?
I would still prefer finding a new one though.

--Tom
Tom Martinez

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Tom,
I should have qualified that a bit. I had cables made for my hot-rod Speedster, but they had to salvage the ends and a bit of the cable, then swaged to a replacement 'center'.
If the cable is shot all the way to the threaded fitting, I don't know if it will work.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan

#7 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Tom: To un-swage, they use a combination of smoke, mirrors and pixie dust. The process is less important than finding somebody with lots of good experience doing it. Good luck. TLC
 KTF, member #15

Tom Martinez
356 Fan

#8 Post by Tom Martinez »

Ok Ron, now I fully get it. The bad spot on mine is right where it exits the sleeve at the rear so I should have enough good cable to attach a new section. After your first post I got to thinking and found that new threaded ends are available, even MMC has ends that look as though they could work to make up an entire new assembly.
I still wish I could find a new part though.

Blue Skies...Tom in SoCal
Tom Martinez

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#9 Post by Craig Richter »

Minnie's in Newport Beach used to make up beautiful SS clutch and throttle cables for my Dune Buggy. The only problem was the threaded ends were American, so the spherical clutch-adjusting nut had to be re-tapped.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Harrison »

This link is from another thread about European scripts, but I got to looking through the site and although it's in German or Dutch(I think?!) this might be what you are looking for. Don't know about shipping times, but it's a possibility.

http://nl.parts-wise.com/porsche-356/he ... el/p22435/?

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan

#11 Post by Tom Coughlin »

It is Dutch, but there is a button at the top for English. You can sign up for their emails. Tom

http://www.parts-wise.com/porsche-356
Last edited by Tom Coughlin on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
 KTF, member #15

steven mclean
356 Fan

#12 Post by steven mclean »

Touch on the GB flag.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#13 Post by Brad Ripley »

Assuming the sleeve/casing is still good, cut the cable off about 1/2" from each end fitting -- see below .
You will then be able to pull each strand, one by one, out of the end fitting. Then drill out the end hole as much as you can so a new cable can be put in and crimped. That's where the "ship chandler" comes in. Sail boats have all sorts of cable assemblies and therefore you will find places that make up cables -- new cable using your old salvaged ends. Be sure to get the length correct and end for end.
Attachments
Cable end front.jpg
Cable end front.jpg (1.8 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Cable end rear.jpg
Cable end rear.jpg (7.12 KiB) Viewed 1142 times

Tom Martinez
356 Fan

#14 Post by Tom Martinez »

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I located a new cable in the UK, so I'm having it shipped and it "should" arrive within a week, but decided to hedge and have a new one made up by one of my vendors who supplies wire rope to my company. I'll salvage my sleeve and my vendor will provide new 6 mm ends and 5/32" cable. I understand the cable assembly is 2085 mm tip to tip. If everything works out I'll have a spare.

Brad, salvaging the ends seems viable too, I'll hang on to my broken cable just in case.

Blue Skies, Tom
Tom Martinez

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan

#15 Post by Tom Coughlin »

The Dutch vendor tells me that they charge $42.50 for the clutch cable.

Today, Wed. 2/25 I got a cool email from them following up. I quote that email here:
"On 02/24/15 you have received a quotation under file number: 17483. Click here to check out the content of the quotation.
We hope our quotation is satisfactory and that you would like to proceed with the payment. You can use the green hyperlink below.
► Click here to accept and continue with your purchase
When you are not interested in our quotation, we would like to hear the reason why so we can increase our service to you in the future.

Please select your reason:

Too expensive | Long delivery time | I don't need the parts (yet) | Any other reason

Thank you for you coorporation. We are always at your service.
Best regards,"

Tom
Last edited by Tom Coughlin on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
 KTF, member #15