Troubles with Tony Euganeo

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Al Zim
356 Fan

Re: Troubles with Tony Euganeo

#16 Post by Al Zim »

Over 20 years ago I rented one of my lease spaces to a locksmith. During that time he has continually assisted Zim's with customer lock problems. He has been using generic keys because of the Porsche key price. Recently we have resolved the situation concerning the use of Porsche keys and now keep them in stock. You will have to send us your locks. As we receive your locks you will receive a work order (via email) with the listing of the locks you sent and what you would like to have done to them. We will give you a quote before we start working on your locks and will keep you posted if the situation deteriorates. Zim's has 3 people in the parts department answering the phone and I try to be at the business during the day if you need to contact me. We realize that our business success depends on your patronage! Zim's has been at our Reliance parkway location for 35+ years. Our current advertisement is on the inside of the front cover of the Registry magazine. We can do the keys for the hood pull on 1959 and later open cars from the code number which you can email or tell us over the phone. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Bob Cannon
356 Fan

#17 Post by Bob Cannon »

If anyone knows and has local access to Tony Eugeneo, I would appreciate you contacting me regarding my 2 year saga trying to get a pair of lock cylinders for a 55 Speedster back from this guy. Please send me a PM or give me a call at 916-283-6742. Thanks very much.
Bob Cannon
Sacramento, CA

Pascal Giai
356 Fan

#18 Post by Pascal Giai »

Al Zim wrote:Over 20 years ago I rented one of my lease spaces to a locksmith. During that time he has continually assisted Zim's with customer lock problems. He has been using generic keys because of the Porsche key price. Recently we have resolved the situation concerning the use of Porsche keys and now keep them in stock. You will have to send us your locks. As we receive your locks you will receive a work order (via email) with the listing of the locks you sent and what you would like to have done to them. We will give you a quote before we start working on your locks and will keep you posted if the situation deteriorates. Zim's has 3 people in the parts department answering the phone and I try to be at the business during the day if you need to contact me. We realize that our business success depends on your patronage! Zim's has been at our Reliance parkway location for 35+ years. Our current advertisement is on the inside of the front cover of the Registry magazine. We can do the keys for the hood pull on 1959 and later open cars from the code number which you can email or tell us over the phone. al zim
Could you repair an ignition switch ? The original one for my 58 was full of sand and doesn't work well, needs to be opened up and repaired...

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#19 Post by Joris Koning »

Pascal,

Send it to Larry Markham. He has done tons of them
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Al Zim
356 Fan

#20 Post by Al Zim »

Yesterday the locksmith finished a 1961 gear shift lock. This was the first time I have ever seen one of those locks. The turn around time for him was 4 days. Usually it does not take that long. We do not used "Porsche" key blanks because of the cost and availability. We can use them if you allow a few more days to obtain them.
Each lock presents a different situation. I cannot give you without looking at the lock. Send us your lock, be sure you include all your pertinent information including a phone number. We will call or email you an estimate. Your lock WILL NOT BE LOST. If we cannot repair the lock we will send it back to you no charge. There are three people here answering the phone who realize that their livelihood depends on good service for you.
Over time keys wear out. They can be duplicated by a key machine that is not properly adjusted and the cuts are offset. Our locksmith can cut the keys from code and the key usually works smoothly. In order to confirm the key is correct we will need a lock. In the case of a 911 the left door handle with lock is preferred. They can make your 911/12 like new. Please call if you key has electronics in it. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#21 Post by Tom Scott »

Al, can your lock smith re-key an early 911, (1969-1970) ignition switch, key is not available?

Tom Scott

Al Zim
356 Fan

#22 Post by Al Zim »

If you send us your lock we can take a look at it and in a couple of days get back to you and let you know if it can be fixed. We can fix locks that lock the steering wheel but will not activate the electrical portion of the lock. I will purchase steering/ ignition locks with or without keys. al zim 800.356.2964 1804 Reliance Parkway Bedford, Texas 76021
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Frank Meek
356 Fan
Tag: live life on full...

#23 Post by Frank Meek »

Hi there
I have kept my mouth shut about my "problem" with one of the more prominent vendors, who indeed advertises with gusto that he "does keys." But, this latest post from him, arrogant and self-serving, has made me change my mind.
I called this gentleman about five years ago and explained clearly and completely that I had original keys for the door lock on my '56 Cab Carrera and wished some copies, and that I had no key for my glove box. I indicated that I would send the original door lock keys, the door lock itself, (to assure a perfect copy), and the original glove box lock in a well padded box at the highest replacement insurance allowed by UPS, (I think it was a thousand dollars). I called him as I shipped them and asked him to call me when he received them. Some days later, without a word from him, I called to confirm he had received the box. He said he had and I awaited their return.
About two weeks later an unpadded shipping envelope arrived containing my door handle, two new keys for the two new cylinders he had replaced and no glove box lock. In some panic, I called and spoke both to his service director and to him, explaining this circumstance. He said he had never received the keys for the door lock, (they were on a ring in a zip lock bag), and that he had never seen the glove box lock. I asked him if he had emptied the box completely and he was uncertain. When I asked him if the box were still around, he replied, casually, I might add, that it had probably been thrown in the dumpster.
Needless to say, I was just short of that aphasic combination of apoplectic and incredulous. His bill for the "new cylinders" should be ignored he said, and that he'd forward a replacement glove box lock, (and key). When I explained that I did not want a repop version and that one from a similar year would be fair, he said he would, "see what he could do."
Of course, I received a cheap repop, as befitted this tale.
So, when I see this,
As we receive your locks you will receive a work order (via email) with the listing of the locks you sent and what you would like to have done to them. We will give you a quote before we start working on your locks and will keep you posted if the situation deteriorates. Zim's has 3 people in the parts department answering the phone and I try to be at the business during the day if you need to contact me. We realize that our business success depends on your patronage! Zim's has been at our Reliance parkway location for 35+ years.
I know it's complete BS. Caveat emptor folks.
Hope this helps where it should.
Best regards,
FE Meek

Al Zim
356 Fan

#24 Post by Al Zim »

Frank: Obviously I cannot remember this instance. At that time we had a new member in the parts department who's job description included receiving, shipping, and inventory. I certainly cannot say that his activities caused your situation. I can say that I am in the office every day from when we open till after we close and always am accessible by phone or in person my office door is never closed! We have never advertised that we can provide "Porsche Factory Keys" only keys that can work in the lock. Many of the manufactures of the keys that were used nearly sixty years ago are no longer in business or their keys are not available in the United States. For clarification I would have sent you my best glove box lock (I have a good selection of early locks) and two copies of the keys that were available at no charge. I am sure at that time if you had located a lock and keys through another vendor in would have been in our best interests to reimburse you for these parts. Obviously this has caused you undue stress and I apologies for that situation. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#25 Post by Greg Bryan »

This thread has really veered off of its original theme which is the difficulty of reaching Tony
It may not be completely fair to bring up an incident from five years ago as unfortunate as it may be.
Zims must have enough satisfied customers to keep them in business all these years and any business can have a bad transaction. Hopefully, Frank, you've been able to replace your missing part.
With that, I'm locking the thread.
Greg Bryan