Pre A Tool Kits

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Trevor Keetley
356 Fan

Pre A Tool Kits

#1 Post by Trevor Keetley »

Perhaps of interest. :D
After an extensive search and with the help of a friend in Europe, I found another maroon Pre A tool kit with a few tools included this year. It came from a '52 cab so it has the 10+3 compartments unlike the '53 bag I found there earlier for my cab, which has the 8+3 compartment arrangement. Exactly the same stitching and texture on both and without the brighter edge trim shown on most US posts. The '52 bag is slightly darker that the '53 and both have unchromed buckles and leather stirrups. Dimensions match the US bags.
Both kits were from period correct cars (52 & 53 years) and both kits included a small narrow handled blade screwdriver in addition to the two stubbies as well as a small wire brush. The kits included some but not all the tools in the pictures. The search for tools continues....
Pre A 1953.jpg
Pre A 1952.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Pre A Tool Kits

#2 Post by James Davies »

Interesting! Do you know which chassis numbers these kits were from? It might help pin down when Porsche switched from the 10 pocket kit to the 8 pocket kit. It was sometime in mid-1953 I think. The 10 pocket kits were being used in March 1953 for coupes.

Would be fascinated to see detail photos of the tools that are original to these kits.

Many thanks!

Trevor Keetley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Trevor Keetley »

Sorry James, I cannot help you with chassis numbers although I've tried and I would love to know. The cars were in Italy.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alan Hall »

James,
Toolkit bags in the 1953 timeframe seems to be a very difficult area to tie down. I have seen 10 pocket canvas, 8 pocket canvas and the early grey vinyl bags all attributed to cars from early 1953. I am beginning to suspect this may be due to one of two things, the factory buying bags in small lots and basically being mixed together, or the toolkits being shipped separately from the cars to avoid theft and toolkits added to the cars by the importer (or possibly the selling dealer) and in this scenario who would care what the tool bag material was. There are even discrepancies between bags of the same basic style, I was convinced that all fan belt loops were sewn with a black thread on one side and a red thread on the other as that seemed to be a consistent feature of original bags, but then other original bags surfaced that had red thread on both sides.
Alan

Trevor Keetley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Trevor Keetley »

Alan
My bags are all red thread.
I had the thought that perhaps there were different suppliers say for the USA and Europe and as you said in small lots at first until the supply was properly organised as in later years. Even then there were variations. I get the feeling that it was a bit of a scramble in the early years for Porsche and not very well organised at times. They used all of their production parts and this sometimes overlapped year of manufacture as we know. Tool kits were probably the least of their concerns. I guess that we will never know. It's amazing how passing time impacts on available evidence. Perhaps someone out there can produce some.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#6 Post by James Davies »

Is it true that Hoffman didn't include kits with their cars by default? It was an extra charge? Would be interesting to see an original Hoffman invoice. I suspect that the USA de Luxe models (Supers) were more likely to have a tool kit delivered with the car? Just a hunch.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#7 Post by James Davies »

Evidence is in vary short supply when it comes to pre-A tool kits unfortunately.

Btw Trevor, any idea which of those kits is more correct for your car? My Super coupe was produced end of July 1953, so I suspect the 8-pocket bag is correct for it. Of course the tool kit is long gone on my car, so I'm starting from scratch.

Trevor Keetley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Trevor Keetley »

The 8 pocket bag is correct for my car James. I have the '52 bag because I'm collecting tool kits for all years between 1952 and 1973 as part of my addiction. From what I've read I believe that the grey vinyl bags were introduced in 1954.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ned Gorski »

Think this kit came out of a 54 bought it at an auction a few years back.. (the best auction ever ) the odd part is, the guy who had the kit originally had a 51 and a 52 coupe .. it had a belt for a two piece case..and the early black handle #5 big screwdriver.. i replaced the black handle screwdriver with a circle 7 and the 2 piece belt with the white label Porsche belt.. the kit is now in my 55 cab.
i also picked up what is now thought to be the first manual made by Porsche so far its the only one known to exist. it shows a two gauge dash with many other changes from the pre 53 manual.
Attachments
dash  pre a man.JPG
tolol kit 3.JPG
tool kit 4.JPG
Last edited by Ned Gorski on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trevor Keetley
356 Fan

#10 Post by Trevor Keetley »

A dream auction Ned. What a winner!

Trevor Keetley
356 Fan

#11 Post by Trevor Keetley »

Finally found the missing tool kit for my collection 1951 - 1973, a 1954 kit. Missing the 11/12 and some incorrect items I believe (haven't received it yet), but the bag is the hardest part to find in my experience. :D
Attachments
54 kit 8.jpg

George Kehler
356 Fan

#12 Post by George Kehler »

Congrats !! Great looking kit. Any pics of the screwdrivers ??
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

Trevor Keetley
356 Fan

#13 Post by Trevor Keetley »

Nothing special to report on the screwdrivers George other than the Jorg was a bit rough and needed some TLC.

Trevor Keetley
356 Fan

#14 Post by Trevor Keetley »

Also found another Pre A Kit from 1952, the kit with the three pockets in the upper part of the main bag, not on the flap.
Some correct tools included and supplemented with my spares. Missing the Messko Ballon so looking for one. :D
Attachments
52 kit.jpg

George Kehler
356 Fan

#15 Post by George Kehler »

Amazing kits found “down under” !! Unbelievable Trevor !! George
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa