Sirius radio in a coupe

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

Sirius radio in a coupe

#1 Post by Tom Coughlin »

My car has a 12 volt converter and a very non-stock radio. I am planning to install my Telefunken (in my pre-A) for looks and use an out of sight Sirius radio.
If you have done a satellite radio and have any tips I would greatly appreciate them. Tom
 KTF, member #15

steverestelli
356 Fan
Tag: 1961 Karmann Notchback

Re: Sirius radio in a coupe

#2 Post by steverestelli »

Tom,
No need to hide the Sirius radio if you make it removable.
I do not have a radio in my 356 with an external plug accessory in. But I do for my other cars, and I can remove my Sirius radio and plug it into any 12 volt car cigarette/accessory outlet and use a jack with an external plug in radio.
I have a universal mount that has rubber suction for the radio and for the antenna I use a velcro patch, or set the antenna on the top of the dash. I have my antenna taped so close to the radio it can only move slightly even if not tacked down.
My radio also has a remote so I can switch it without being distracted.
1961 356B T5 Karmann Hardtop #200279 Sports Coupe named "Carmine"
2nd & 4th Owner of this car 1970-73 found again on Ebay in 2013 & bought it back 128K miles

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

I was just looking into a Bose Bluetooth speaker which might be good. It has an input jack so you would not have to feed it via Bluetooth, and has its own battery that is supposed to run 5 or 11 hours depending on the model. This would be good for our antique generators. I was thinking it could be wire-tied under the dash, possibly amplifying the original radio, or maybe a Sirius radio. I have found tiny Bose products to sound pretty remarkable for their size.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron Delmendo
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron Delmendo »

Hi Tom-

I added a modern Blaupunkt and Sirius to both a coupe (T6) and Roadster. For the coupe, I mounted the Blaupunkt in the glove box as the original radio was shot and a PO had punched a hole in the glove box already. The radio in the Roadster is mounted under the dash so it is invisible unless you lay on your back under the dash.

I used the same Sirius radio in both cars using the standard mounting bracket with a 18" flexible rod. In the coupe, I mounted the rod to one of the passenger seat rail bolts and snaked the rod sort of behind the shifter. In the Roadster, it hung under the dash out of sight, mounted to the windshield tension rod bracket.

In both cars, the biggest issue was running the antenna for the Sirius. Mounting the antenna under the dash yielded poor reception, so I ended up running the antenna wire under the fuse box, through the tunnel and under the rubber mats and stuck it on the back cowl. Always had folks asking what the dog badge was on the back of the car...

I've since removed the Sirius radio from the Roadster and now use a small bluetooth input with my iPhone directly. Volume is auto-set on the radio and I control volume and source from the phone.

Good luck!
Cheers,

Ron

'61 Roadster Outlaw
'69 911E ROW Coupe
'68 911 SWT project
‘18 Macan

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#5 Post by Tom Coughlin »

I have finally (5 year after first asking the question) found a solution that does not require hard wiring. I use the Sirius app on my cell phone and a battery powered bluetooth speaker.
 KTF, member #15

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#6 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

i use my smart phone with the Sirius App, blue tooth speaker and when the windows are down and the traffic is noisy I use quality ear buds. The ear buds keep the traffic noise out and you get much better audio. When a phone call comes in click a button and you answer the call. I bring an I Pod for music too. When I am bored with Sirius I use the smart phone to connect to my local radio stations for news or sports back home. The phone is mounted on a dash mount for ease of changing channels. Under the dash I have a 6V to 12V converter to keep phone, batteries, radar detector all charged and working. When needed I connect a Surface Pro tablet too.

Lockie McKinnon
356 Fan

#7 Post by Lockie McKinnon »

tom coughlin wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:30 am I have finally (5 year after first asking the question) found a solution that does not require hard wiring. I use the Sirius app on my cell phone and a battery powered bluetooth speaker.
this is the perfect solution.
Lockie