Wiring diagram for Leoni Solid State Starter Relay -No Start

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

Wiring diagram for Leoni Solid State Starter Relay -No Start

#1 Post by Richard Sjolund »

My 356 C has started for many years without a problem - but during a recent engine rebuild I had my mechanics put in one of Joe Leoni's Solid State Relay kits (from Blocks-Books) as an upgrade.

Yesterday I turned the ignition key - and nothing happened. Like a chapter out of "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" - I turned on the headlights and beeped the horn -- Yes, the battery is OK.

I'm pretty good with wires, but I do not have the diagram that came with Joe's Solid State Relay. Before I put the car on my jack stands, I'd like to know what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the 6 volt Solid State Relay Kit? is it posted anywhere?

Has anyone had a problem withe the SS relay -- and solved it? Do I need to order a new kit?

Dick Sjolund
Solon, (Iowa City), Iowa
Registry member #6406
1963 (September) 356 C Coupe #215661 (Ruby Red, color:6402)
(On the 356 Registry cover- November, 2005)
944 S2 -Signal Red (Daily Driver)
Dodge Ram 4X4 1500 Quad Cab- Red (Winter Snow Plow)
Audi A4 Quattro - Red (Wife's car)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Wiring diagram for Leoni Solid State Starter Relay -No S

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Here is a picture I found on the web https://www.google.com/search?q=Joe+Leo ... 678%3B1107
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

#3 Post by Eric Cherneff »

Leoni SSR.jpg
Here's the sheet that came with mine. It was the earlier style, so references to "ring terminals" may not be correct for yours, but everything else is the same. It is a standard "Bosch type" automotive relay which any auto parts store should have, so if you need a new one, there's no need to get another Leoni kit.

You may want to try a little troubleshooting to isolate the problem - if you apply 6V briefly to the solenoid small connection, it should engage the starter. If not, then the solenoid is bad. if it works, then the relay or wiring is the problem.
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

356 Registry database manager

Jerry Henning
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jerry Henning »

It is not a "solid state relay".

SSr stands for "starter switch relay"

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#5 Post by Richard Sjolund »

"It is a standard "Bosch type" automotive relay which any auto parts store should have, so if you need a new one, there's no need to get another Leoni kit."

Is there a 12 volt and a 6 volt version? Is it likely that my auto parts store (in a small town in Iowa) will have one for 6 volts?

Dick

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

#6 Post by Eric Cherneff »

Yes, 6V and 12V are different, your local store may not have them in 6V (although I was surprised to find my local Napa store had 6V turn signal flashers). Here is a real Bosch one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-332204001-R ... 4001+bosch

There are some on ebay for $20-30: search for "Bosch" and "0332204001".

I bought a bunch of knock-off 6V relays (Bosch type) off ebay for another project, but I think I would stick with a real Bosch one for the starter application for reliability.
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

356 Registry database manager

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#7 Post by Richard Sjolund »

Eric Cherneff wrote:Yes, 6V and 12V are different, your local store may not have them in 6V (although I was surprised to find my local Napa store had 6V turn signal flashers). Here is a real Bosch one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-332204001-R ... 4001+bosch

There are some on ebay for $20-30: search for "Bosch" and "0332204001".

I bought a bunch of knock-off 6V relays (Bosch type) off ebay for another project, but I think I would stick with a real Bosch one for the starter application for reliability.

Many thanks - it is now on order .... It will be good to have a spare before I jack up the car and get out the jack stands ...

Dick

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#8 Post by James Learmonth »

Richard,
Just curious, did the starter ever work after the SSRelay was installed? Have you discussed this with Joe Leoni? Have you discussed this with your mechanic?

JimLearmonth
Houston, TX

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#9 Post by Richard Sjolund »

James Learmonth wrote:Richard,
Just curious, did the starter ever work after the SSRelay was installed? Have you discussed this with Joe Leoni? Have you discussed this with your mechanic?

JimLearmonth
Houston, TX
Yes - the starter was working fine for a few months after the engine rebuild - and then it just quit ... I've been too busy to ask many questions - and I can't drive my car to my mechanic because it won't start. I hope to find a few spare hours to get under the car and see what's wrong. The new relay arrived in the mail today ....

Dick

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Dick,
Look under the dash and make sure all the bullet connectors are snug in the holes on the back of the ignition switch.

Also, starters can fail suddenly.
Happened to me on the road from Houston to Arizona. The starter had been working fine for about 8 years and just suddenly quit 50 miles W. of El Paso in Los Cruces, NM. Joe’s relay, the starter bushing, the ignition wires, and the battery connections were all good, but the solenoid was bad.

The fix was a rebuilt starter, supplied by a member of the New Mexico Zia 356 club, and it’s been working for another 4 years now.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#11 Post by Richard Sjolund »

Dave Wildrick wrote:Dick,
Look under the dash and make sure all the bullet connectors are snug in the holes on the back of the ignition switch.

Also, starters can fail suddenly.
Happened to me on the road from Houston to Arizona. The starter had been working fine for about 8 years and just suddenly quit 50 miles W. of El Paso in Los Cruces, NM. Joe’s relay, the starter bushing, the ignition wires, and the battery connections were all good, but the solenoid was bad.

The fix was a rebuilt starter, supplied by a member of the New Mexico Zia 356 club, and it’s been working for another 4 years now.

Thanks.

Ruby left for the mechanic's today on a flatbed tow truck ... I'll post an update when I learn what the problem is. My small business is way too busy right now to allow me time to do the work myself .... and that is not good.

Dick

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Richard I had the same problem with my car which had a Leoni and someone had added a fuse in under the car by the starter too. Worth checking for that.

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#13 Post by Larry Coreth »

Dick Sjolund,

I appreciate the lack of time but If I may, sort of after the fact, suggest a simple method to test "No Start" or "dead" starters. This method will verify if the starter and /or solenoid are good/bad so that you can confidently proceed to checking towards the ignition switch.

Assuming you have voltage at "A".
Using two medium screw drivers, place one with the end on "A" and the other srew drive end at "C". Now cross the screw driver shafts (keep hands clear and on screw driver hand grips, engine in neutral !). If the solenoid and starter work, good, if the solenoid just clicks , but no starter, bad starter or maybe bad contacts in solenoid. IF nothing happens, definitely bad solenoid.

To verify the starter, place screw driver ends on "A" and "B" and cross shafts. This will cause much sparking so do it only briefly. If the starter works great, solenoid is suspect , if not definitely dead starter.

Obviously it is best to know if the starter and/or solenoid work before chasing wiring gremlins and or relay bugs that control these items. To assume a particular device of the start system is at fault when you get a no start condition just because someone else had a similar problem where such and such part was at fault will lead to much frustration.
Attachments
356 Starter Connections.jpg
356 Starter Connections.jpg (24.22 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Greg Spreeman
356 Fan

#14 Post by Greg Spreeman »

I have Joe's Starter Relay and the diagram as well. Not being too electrically savvy, does anyone have a pic as to where the little wires all get attached?

Thanks!
Greg Spreeman
1965 356SC Coupe
1964 356C Coupe
2001 996 Cabriolet

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 914
1965 356C Sunroof Coupe
1989 911 Carerra

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#15 Post by Larry Coreth »

Greg,

With the picture from my post of 9/19/14 and the info you say you already have in hand, this should be more than enough to connect the wires to suit, If however your electrical acumen is as minimal as you stated in your post then I suggest you get some local hands-on help.

Note in the picture in my post that "NO" does not mean no, rather "normally open contact" but his does not really affect what you are doing.

best of luck !
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC