Login Issues

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

Re: lost keys

#1 Post by Norm Miller »

I'm a public employee and I find lots of keys but no one claims them so now I have too many keys.
I'm a good guy and I try but nobody cares.

Another thought, I sure would like to find the key to post without having to log in each time and be sent to the home page which tells me I'm already logged in.
I then go back to the forum topic and it says uh uh you must log in and you cannot post.
At this point I tend to lose the good guy image and threaten to smash something expensive resulting in extreme sadness which depresses me and I really lose it.

What happened here? Can anyone explain the wonders of upgrades that are not an improvement?

I think I'll take my keys and find cars they fit and leave one in every door and if they unlock the car cool, if they don't it's even funnier.

Public enemy
norm C356C

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#2 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

I agree with Norm's complain about re-logging in, when we are already logged in.

In fact I was already logged in but I again had to re-log in to complain that I am already logged in.

We can't be the only members experiencing this, Norm.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

No Jeff you are not alone. Just one more annoyance with the new site.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Roy Lock
356 Fan

Login Issues

#4 Post by Roy Lock »

Up until recently I have tried to be a trooper and keeping my opinions of the new website "improvements" to myself and sharing them with the admins when I find a bug. For many years during my working career, I helped develop some of the leading CAD and CAM programs used in the aerospace industry, so I know what these guys are going through.
I fully understand why we have to change because without change there is no improvement or progress.
I fully understand that there are going to be bugs in the GUI and the guts of the program. Those will get worked out in time.
But recently there have been changes to the forum that make absolutely no sense and is only pissing off the ones who have been tolerant in the pass.
Who ever it is directing the changes to the GUI, cut that crap out! You are alienating the forum members. Little nits such as taking away features if you are not logged in, and double login required are counterproductive and only causes ill will. This is like driving a British car, you don't know what will not work when you try and start it. It's the Lucas Electrics theorem

I believe Jim Liberty and Bob Campbell are the trustees involved with the website. If so, maybe you guys ought to form a committee to review changes before implementing them. We talk of transpancy, if arbitrary changes are made, then there is no transparency.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Norm Miller wrote:Another thought, I sure would like to find the key to post without having to log in each time and be sent to the home page which tells me I'm already logged in.
I then go back to the forum topic and it says uh uh you must log in and you cannot post.
At this point I tend to lose the good guy image and threaten to smash something expensive resulting in extreme sadness which depresses me and I really lose it.
What happened here? Can anyone explain the wonders of upgrades that are not an improvement?
norm C356C
Norm -
I've had the same repeated problem of having to do multiple log-ins, and have so previously posted the difficulty, with nary a response. This was not a problem "pre-?upgade".
- Wil

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#6 Post by Norm Miller »

The key to my post was I got frustrated.
Normally I wouldn't P&M on line.
My apologies.

Anyone claim the keys?

Norm

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Bryan »

We had to change to a later version of the phpBB because the older version being used was not supported anymore. It's all in the 'report website issues here' thread - read through that, at least the later pages - you may find answers to some of your issues. If you have specific issue, list them with enough detail so the web team can duplicate the problem - they have fixed many issues and will try to fix the issue you report too.

Regarding the login, try signing in on the registry home page (not the talk forums page)
Click the remember me box
Very important - Your computer setup can also affect whether the login will be permanently stored in your system
After checking your computer settings, let me know if this works
Thanks
Greg Bryan

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ron LaDow »

Greg Bryan wrote: Click the remember me box
Very important - Your computer setup can also affect whether the login will be permanently stored in your system
Thanks
I have done so many times by now, and if my computer setup is the issue, it is an issue here and here alone of all the places I visit.
So if it is 'my problem', it's like telling my customers that if they want to see my products, well, try fiddling with your computer; that might work!
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Rosemary Sampson

Re: Login Issues

#9 Post by Rosemary Sampson »

Here is a list of features available through our forum software, now, as Greg correctly states, in its third version. phpbb is open source software and is widely used. One of the features I'd like to see included here is PM (private messaging). It is part of the software package made available to any developer that wants it.

https://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

MalibuRoam

Roland Resos
356 Fan

#10 Post by Roland Resos »

I keep a link to "The Porsche 356 Registry" in my Favorites on my desk top and all I do to link to the Registry (without signing in or loging in) is click on the "Porsche 356 Registry" and it's there! It's easy, and I can't even program my flip top cell phone?

Regards,

Rolly

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#11 Post by Roy Lock »

Rolly this is only true if you check the box that says to stay logged in. If you do that, it keeps the forum open even when you have logged off your computer, leaving you vulnerable to hackers. Greg, please correct me if I am wrong about staying logged in.
Here is the screen you see and block you check.
image.jpg
Rosemary, I agree with you. Maybe we should have a PM function for registered users. There is an email function, but a PM/text option would be nice.
Attachments
image.jpg
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ron LaDow »

Roy Lock wrote:Rolly this is only true if you check the box that says to stay logged in.
Roy,
If you're referring to the "remember me" box, it does no such thing. In fact, it does nothing at all.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#13 Post by Roy Lock »

Yes that's what I was trying to say. It is a real PITA. Another nit. For a while my log in worked like Rolly explained. Then one day poof! I read all this stuff straight from my iPad, so I thought it was a iOS thing. Now Ron, you tell me that is a global issue.
Greg, this is what I was trying to convey in our email exchange. Little nits add up to a mountain.
Maybe there should be a committee formed to review and beta test all changes. No changes that are not necessary or before it is beta tested. Who is doing that now?
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ron LaDow »

Roy Lock wrote:Now Ron, you tell me that is a global issue.
I don't know how structural it is to the site, but I do know that attempting access from both of my computers yields the same result: The "remember me" box is worthless.
Maybe that means both my computers require new 'settings', but both of them produce "remember me" results in even on-line banking, and it's hard to believe they need to be adjusted out of that condition to access the Registry site.
And, no, it didn't "remember me" for this post.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#15 Post by James Davies »

The trick for me in resolving this problem is to always go to the Registry home first, then use the link there to click through to the forum. If I bookmark the forum page only, I got the multiple login issues.