Login Issues

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Login Issues

#16 Post by Greg Bryan »

James is correct - for whatever reason, signing in on the home page works better - webmaster Joe has made that observation as well
Also, don't log out when you leave - just bit the X in the upper right corner
I've taken a video of my computer and how it behaves when opening the registry site, when going to a post from an email notification, and when going to the site from the email digest
In all three cases I go directly to the site or topic without the need of signing in
I intended to post on YouTube but ran out of time and will be in Japan for the next week so no opportunity
Greg Bryan

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#17 Post by Norm Miller »

I'm not sure what happened but I had to sign in again yesterday but with no explanation I am still signed in today.
Hope? Progress?

norm

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#18 Post by Wes Bender »

Happened to me too, Norm. I suspect that a change had been made that required most to log in again. I checked the box to remember me and haven't had to re-register since.

For the record, if I try to go directly to the 356 forum (from anywhere else on the internet), it indicates that I'm not registered. If I go to the Registry home page first, and then go to the forum, I'm registered and logged in properly. I'm using FireFox 30.0 in Windows 7.

Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#19 Post by Norm Miller »

Wes,

I also noticed the e-mail tab has re appeared.

Norm

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#20 Post by Roy Lock »

Poof it does not work. Poof it works. Why?
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#21 Post by Brian R Adams »

James Davies wrote:The trick for me in resolving this problem is to always go to the Registry home first, then use the link there to click through to the forum. If I bookmark the forum page only, I got the multiple login issues.
James, that's no solution. I never just "go to the Registry home". 99% of the time I only ever click on a link "If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the following link:" inside a "Topic Reply Notification" e-mail. This is supposed to be a shortcut whereby I can jump with one click immediately from the e-mail message to the newest post in the Forum thread I am subscribed to.

However, when I click on that enticing link, I am forced to log in not once, but twice and then, what's even more irritating, it dumps me not in the Forum thread, but at the Registry home page! So after all those keystrokes, I am still not even reading the Forum thread as promised by the e-mail link description.

Brian
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#22 Post by Brian R Adams »

Let me put it another way:

In the "Topic Reply Notification" e-mail, rather than putting a link in the message described as "If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the following link:" just omit the link and instruct the recipient:

"If you want to see the newest post, open a browser, go to the Registry home page, log in, then go to the forum section and browse for your topic. Good luck!"

Brian
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Steven Clarke
356 Fan

#23 Post by Steven Clarke »

I have been doing a search for a couple of days on an issue with my '65 C. I can read 3-4 pages of threads, and then the site kicks me out and says I have to log in again. I have had to log in three times this morning, and then have to start my search all over again to get back to the correct page out of 36 pages I was reading. The whole thing is very frustrating. Why can't I stay logged in more than an hour or so?
Steve Clarke

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#24 Post by Greg Bryan »

Steven - I have not experienced this problem, and I use the search function long and hard. I can't give you much advice beyond I believe the problem could be at your end.
If others are experiencing a similar issue, please speak up.
Good luck!
Greg Bryan

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#25 Post by Edwin Ek »

Funny how that goes.

People who write software like the standard to be: it can (be made to) work. Or the timeless " It works for me".

People who use software want the standard to be: it can't fail.

If you are flying an airplane, which standard do you like? If you want to use a website, tough luck.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#26 Post by Wes Bender »

Did you experience the problem too, Ed?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#27 Post by Edwin Ek »

The small problem I encounter is: when I get an email saying there is a new post in a thread and click on the link, I go to the main screen (not the thread) and there is a message saying I am already logged in. If I go back to the email and click again, I go to the thread.

Not the worst of errors. Not enough to bring down an airplane. But a small irritant nonetheless.

Steven Clarke
356 Fan

#28 Post by Steven Clarke »

Greg and Edwin:
Thanks for the replies. Last night after dinner I was able to stay on for the evening, and of course this morning I had to log on again. I guess it is asking too much to know how long a person can expect to be logged in on our website. So is it totally random, or does it depend on your device? Maybe the webmaster knows.

After retiring with 44 years in the cockpit I agree with Edwin. It is surprising to contrast the reliability of the Honeywell computers that pilots work with and the junk we keep pounding away on. Of course the consequences are different when your IBM clone makes a hiccup.

KTF,
Steve
'65 coupe
'73 911

Nanette Reid
356 Fan

#29 Post by Nanette Reid »

Steven Clarke wrote:Greg and Edwin:
Thanks for the replies. Last night after dinner I was able to stay on for the evening, and of course this morning I had to log on again. I guess it is asking too much to know how long a person can expect to be logged in on our website. So is it totally random, or does it depend on your device? Maybe the webmaster knows.

After retiring with 44 years in the cockpit I agree with Edwin. It is surprising to contrast the reliability of the Honeywell computers that pilots work with and the junk we keep pounding away on. Of course the consequences are different when your IBM clone makes a hiccup.

KTF,
Steve
'65 coupe
'73 911
I'm on several other forums that allow me to remain logged in until I either: A) sign out, or B) empty my cache. The difference though is that I have the option to tick a box to allow me to remain signed in on one sight "Forever" and on the other two, it must be a backend operation, as neither of those two sites offers the "Remain signed In Until I Log Out" option.

Sometimes you can select in your profile or "dashboard" if the site allows this - the 356 Registry site though, doesn't offer this anywhere that I've been able to discover.

I hate having to login all the time as well but until the web-team tweaks the settings at their end to allow this to happen, I'll have to keep signing in.

NB: It doesn't matter if I sign in on the homepage or the Forum - I too get kicked off after a period of time, although I'm not sure of the exact timeframe. All I know is that I have to sign in every day. ie: I don't remain signed in until I choose to log-out or clean up the laptop, the site logs me out automatically.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#30 Post by Greg Bryan »

With the plethora of computer types, operating systems, skill levels and other factors that don't come to mind, I find it amazing that things operate as well as they do. I am simply a user of the 356Talk site with a couple of extra options to use to perform some simple management of the forums. I do not have a hand in the background machinations that go on to keep the site running. I know little more about a computer than how to turn it on. With that said, I haven't had to sign on in months. Why? I haven't the foggiest idea. I don't know if it is a feature of the 356 Registry site of if it is a feature of my computer operating system saving the necessary information to sign in again automagically. I suspect the later, though. I do know that the site does not restrict you from staying signed on or logged in.
And to compare this site to a dedicated computer system that flies an airplane seems unfair to me. We have, what, 3 or 4 people operating our site? The Honeywell system has, I imagine, several thousand people working 24/7 to insure its reliability, and they are not dealing with the above-mentioned different computer platforms, operating systems, etc., etc.
I don't relish being an apologist for those that keep the 356 Registry site working, but in my experience, they are doing a good job of keeping things going, making continuous improvements and protecting the site from the goofballs out there that love to bring systems down.
So, Edwin, it does work for me. Why it doesn't for some others, I can't say.
Greg Bryan