OLD TOPIC -SUPERSEDED Articles Index - Troubleshooting and Repair

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
BenjaminKrell
356 Fan

Re: Articles Index - Troubleshooting and Repair

#16 Post by BenjaminKrell »

Horn button removal 356 A: after soak with wd40 or similar, use a window suction cup holder for gps unit ( about 2 1/2"-3" diameter). Apply to horn button probably more than once. Worked beautifully for me.

Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

#17 Post by Conrad Carter »

Thanks!!!!!

Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

#18 Post by Conrad Carter »

Copy of the Word file please to conrad0320@gmail.com?
Conrad

Stephen Masefield
356 Fan

#19 Post by Stephen Masefield »

Conrad attached to this for others if they stumble here ;-) and sent to you via PM
Steve
Attachments
356 Index in Word.doc
(80.5 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
Steve
'57 Coupe
'61 Sunroof Coupe
'79 911SC Targa (Stupidly sold)
'23 Subaru BRZ (poor mans Porsche)
Ford Diesel to haul 'stuff'

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#20 Post by Greg Bryan »

Thanks, Stephen for the Word doc. It works very well and is a great resource.
As you know, your list has been a 'sticky' since its inception and over 21,600 members have stumbled onto it
:wink:
Greg Bryan

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#21 Post by Mike Horton »

Greg, all, the tech resources brought me to this Registry way back, and in my remote location, were the "Manna from Heaven" to guide me through a self learning process with writings from Bob Garretson, Vic, "old" Al, and other pioneers of this talented, and on occasion, eclectic group of folks. What keeps me coming back, is the possibility of learning more "Pearls of Wisdom". There have been done excellent tech articles in the more recent past by Paul, Kit, Ron, Bruce, and others, which if they have been archived, from which others can learn, I've not found them. Kudos to Stephen, for his great work, and insight, in preserving the past hard work, from the learned folks who have been dedicated enough, to share their hard earned experience, with the rest of us here. Is there any avenue, to accessing these later tech articles, which as Paul Christenson has exposed, some knowledge to prevent others from " reinventing the wheel?" This tech archive data, is one area, which in some of the troublesome times this group has endured, has been placed in jeapordy, of becoming lost, which if it were to come to pass, would be a travesty... What say the Registry leaders? Thanks, for providing a place to raise this key question, and a huge "Thank You" to those who dedicate their knowledge, and skills, to create these epic tomes!
Mike

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#22 Post by Greg Bryan »

Mike - John Ripoli and I and some others talked about this subject a lot at the Emory Campout. There is so much information that people have compiled and maybe already shared, or maybe not, that is in danger of being lost as this generation moves on. John said he was willing to pay more for membership to finance an 'archivist' to compile the information and get it into a format that is searchable and available. We also talked about a 'wiki' -style resource to build and save information, but I don't know how that would work.
I haven't talked yet to the Registry officials to float the ideas, which, of course, are not new ideas.
There's a wealth of detail in the magazine back issues, too, which go wa-a-ay back. There might be an index for earlier issues - I seem to remember something like that, no doubt put together by someone on their own initiative, like so much other stuff that gets done.
There is no index/database for later issues. I know some people are really good at google searches to find the old information, but I don't think the magazine information will show up that way, as it is basically saved as a picture and not text.
It's disappointing to see people asking electrical questions on subjects that I did articles on just a few issues ago.
There's a lot of stuff out there, it's about finding it!
Greg Bryan

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#23 Post by Steve Douglas »

I agree with Greg, and have had the same discussion for a long time, and yes at the campout we had hundreds of combined years of experience ready to share our knowledge. And, unfortunately we are loosing that slowly, but more than that we have lost the places where the younger people can learn the skills that the old-time knowledge will be used. The problem I think is that it all boils down to knowing the basics of automobile mechanics, for many of us we had Fathers, and friends, gas stations, and basic books that taught us the basics. 356s are simple, the factory did a pretty good job of making the car drive well, and last a long time. If one goes to the effort to learn the basic skills from the days when cars were simple, learn how each system works and buy a few simple tools and books, many of the problems that are asked on the Talk List can be solved by the owner.
As far as back issues of the Registry, there are 100s of great articles, and there are two printed indexes of the first years, which I could scan and post.old articles is that many are out of date, tools were at a premium, example a floor jack in the 60-70s cost 1/2 a months salary, parts available then are no longer around, and there are companies/persons who repair things that in the day weren't around and vice versa. The Registry has the back issues available online or on CD which are searchable by topics.
Books, if you read them and digest what is written, and remember the basic facts it will make trouble shooting so much clearer. Unless you have a car that has been totally messed with and is cobbled together, which is a different story, then a Factory shop manual, Elfrink manual, parts book/PET download, and a few catalogs will supply you with much of the problem solving. There are several YouTube videos that cover much of the basics of automobile repair.
Us "old timers" had it much easier as we grew up immersed in cars and keeping them running on daily basis, much of our formative years was with cars; grease, skinner knuckles, trips to the junk yard, and reading about them. It would be nice if we had places where newcomers could have the same experiences, but auto shops, gas stations and schools are gone or don't teach the primitive basics.

William J Miller
356 Fan

#24 Post by William J Miller »

Replacement of heater cable in 64?

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#25 Post by Curt Dansby »

Gentlemen
Late to the party here but courtesy Tom Coughlin we have a new tech article finder index under resources/ articles/ categories:
https://porsche356registry.org/article/326

Curt

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#26 Post by John Hearn »

Tom Coughlin, thank you for your work.
A great new resource for the Registry.
Have already found my next project!!
KTF
John

JamesCrawford
356 Fan

#27 Post by JamesCrawford »

Hi Steve,

Tks for all your work.

We drove by your house last Tues to see if you were out working on your car. Dah..I forgot how to get there. Next time I will call.

Jim and Patty

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#28 Post by Mike Horton »

Sadly, I just tried to find Paul Christensen's "Timing is ALMOST Everything", which was printed in the Volume 37, Number 4, starting on page 68, and having recently used this excellent article, fortunately long ago printed in the past, to forward to Ron LaDow, and in an hour, have run out of ideas, on how to find it. His wisdom, and experience, are Far too valuable, to be lost to the future.

Pray tell, what have I missed, in this attempt? Thanks,

Mike Horton
Mike

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#29 Post by Phil Planck »

Mike
Tap on the 3 horizontal bars, top right of screen. Select "Magazine", work your way to the one you want, about page 12.
Phil Planck

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#30 Post by Mike Horton »

Thanks, Phil! I finally found it, the hard way, as usual.
Mike