Metal Back Window Channel/Glass Fit

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

Metal Back Window Channel/Glass Fit

#1 Post by Cliff Hanson »

My original 64 coupe glass fits very tight in the new metal back window channel I sourced from Stoddard. It requires an extreme load on the regulator mechanism as it is raised to the top. Just appears to be drag from the to tight channel. Any suggestions? Lube of some sort?
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

charlesblankinship
356 Fan

Re: Metal Back Window Channel/Glass Fit

#2 Post by charlesblankinship »

Cliff I have the same problem. I don't recommend silicon because if you ever have to re-spray you 356.
the residuals of silicon could cause major problems. Silicon will never be found in a paint shop. I just grab
the top of the window and give a pull or push to help the window. Hopefully over time the window track will loose
up some.

Gary Carriveau
356 Fan

#3 Post by Gary Carriveau »

Have you tried a little powdered graphite (like used to lubricate locks/keys)?

Gary
'64 Coupe
Gary W. Carriveau
'64 C Coupe

E Rutherford
356 Fan

#4 Post by E Rutherford »

Yes the steel backed channel is very tight, to tight to install and use right away. Here is a method that has served me well in dealing with it. It requires 6 paint stir sticks, 3 for each side and some 1/2" "green" masking tape. Most good automotive paint stores carry it the green.

This method is easiest if the frame is outside of the car.

Install the new steel back channel in the frame.

Wrap each paint stick length wise with one layer of green tape, both sides.

Now shove it into the new channel and let it sit over night. Repeat this process until you can get 3 layers of tape into the channel. I did it over 3 days roughly. After 3 days, I installed the frame and the glass and it fit like it had been in there 10 years! 3 layers of green tape on a paint stick is roughly 5m, just about the thickness of the glass.

ed
klasse356.com

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Cliff Hanson »

It appears that Stoddard may be working on this "problem" with their source as they are out of stock now and hopefully will get a channel section that fits the glass better in the not to distant future.
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

That is where we were at a year ago when I tried to buy two when I called them. Thank God I found two originals and paid dearly for them or I would still be waiting. And after installing the channel I inserted my windows and left them with the frame taped securely until I installed then a week later.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Doug McDonnell wrote:That is where we were at a year ago when I tried to buy two when I called them. Thank God I found two originals and paid dearly for them or I would still be waiting. And after installing the channel I inserted my windows and left them with the frame taped securely until I installed then a week later.
Doug, I think it was more than a year ago. I think they got some "samples" and they were to tight and then had more made later on. I got two in December and they are to tight. I was told today they are "working" on the problem. They have known about this for quite awhile. Frustrating! And I don't think lube of any kind is the answer - they should fit without that.
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I am sure that you are correct on how long it has been. When searching for my car a year ago I talked to a few restorers who have been in the business for several decades and was told that They had been through this several times in the past.So not a one time but a recurring problem,over decades apparently. And here is a thread from 2009 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13078&hilit=metal+b ... ow+channel
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#9 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Brad Ripley
Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:48
356 Fan

"The correct steel-backed channel will be ready in a short while. The final sample has been approved and it is virtually the same as the discontinued German part. You will not see any difference. Please be patient."

After nearly 5 years now I guess we still need to be patient!
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC