Source for starter parts?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

Source for starter parts?

#1 Post by Eric Cherneff »

Anyone know of a source for starter motor parts? I'm looking for the stop ring and retainer that are on the end of the starter shaft where it goes into the transmission. They do not appear to be removable without destroying them (and the manual says to replace them with new ones). I want to remove them to gain access to all areas for cleaning, lubrication and paint.

Incidentally, I discovered that the commutator end bushing in the starter is the same as the one that goes in the transmission, so is an easy replacement. This is true of the EED .5/6 L35 starter of late 356A and early B's, I don't know about others.
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

356 Registry database manager

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

Re: Source for starter parts?

#2 Post by Larry Coreth »

Eric,
Have tried the procedure described on Pg.L34 of the B/C shop manual?
After pushing back the stop ring to gain access to the snap-ring which once spread will come off to allow the stop ring to be removed. I suspect the snap ring be non-reusable.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

#3 Post by Eric Cherneff »

I have tried to push it back to get better access, but it just doesn't move much (even used a socket with a hammer to see if there was any give). Additionally, the edge around the snap-ring is peened over in 4 places. I tried to remove the peening as far as possible, but the snap ring seems unmoveable. Given the procedures for re-installing with a press, I think it is a very tight fit.
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#4 Post by Larry Coreth »

I don't see where the manual calls for using a press to remove or install the stop ring, only a punch. Are you sure we're talking all apples here ?

I've never had that much trouble getting the stop ring to move. However you may just need more force to move it back. If you cut it off you would be wise to another in hand first as I don't think Bosch sells such parts per their website (vintage parts dept.). May be Adam Wright has astash of starters from one of which you could get onem and snap ring too ? He seems to trying to corner the market on eveything else 356 ! :)
Attachments
Starter .png
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#5 Post by Larry Coreth »

P.S.
The picture (Fig.30) showing the press is confusing, they are not using the press to press the stop ring on, rather to hold via the fixtures the armature in place while pushing the snap ring into place with the punch, see para.4 on pg L 34.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

#6 Post by Eric Cherneff »

Yes, we're talking about the same thing. I saw some discussion somewhere else on the web about reinstalling this ring and needing a puller to squeeze/hold it together, that was probably my thought when I saw that picture in the WSM.

Have you ever removed one of these?

I am being cautious, as you suggest. I don't have another part, so if I break it I'm dead in the water with that starter. I suppose I could make one, but that seems like a lot of work if they are available.
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#7 Post by Larry Coreth »

Eric,

Yes, I've had lots of them apart and to be sure my memory has not faded too badly, the starter to my C coupe just happens to be laying on the shelf (so is the rest of the car, been in restoration phase for to many years),anyway I just pulled it down and popped the stop ring back using a 15mm deep well socket and hammer. A good whack and down it went ! Now getting back in place will require something to hold the stop ring up while you stuff the snap ring back in place, a gear puller would work nicely.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

#8 Post by Eric Cherneff »

OK, that's good to know, I guess I need to use more force. Thanks for the info.
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

michaelteleha
356 Fan

#9 Post by michaelteleha »

Nice work, fast service and they are a Registry supporter.
http://abcpartswerksllc.com/

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#10 Post by Larry Coreth »

I put the stop ring back in place using a bar puller to hold the ring while popped the snap ring in place with a sharp nosed punch, worked well. Note also even after installation the stop ring will rotate easily on the armature shaft.
Would have sent this earlier but we lost power as the thunder storm went by. Was a real gulley washer !
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#11 Post by Steve Harrison »

Nice post Larry,...I wholeheartedly agree,..a nice whack!...that's what 's in order.
I too found a deepwell socket to be just the thing to budge the bugger.
And yes, it seems a bit 'loose' after (re)installation, but that hasn't seemed to be a problem.

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

#12 Post by Eric Cherneff »

Bingo! I wasn't whacking it hard enough. I also didn't know that the ring would go all the way back - I thought I'd need to pry the spring out of it. All taken care of now, with both parts in re-usable condition.

Thanks all!
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#13 Post by Larry Coreth »

Amazing how simple things often are despite our best attempts to complicate them.
Now before I step down from my soap box, let me again caution you against further displays of amateurism by not consulting the “The Manual” before attempting any 356 surgery !
:) :wink:
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

#14 Post by Eric Cherneff »

Larry Coreth wrote:Amazing how simple things often are despite our best attempts to complicate them.
Now before I step down from my soap box, let me again caution you against further displays of amateurism by not consulting the “The Manual” before attempting any 356 surgery !
That's the funny part - I did consult the manual, but my pre-conceived notions got in the way...
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#15 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Eric Cherneff wrote:
Larry Coreth wrote:Amazing how simple things often are despite our best attempts to complicate them.
That's the funny part - I did consult the manual, but my pre-conceived notions got in the way...
Eric I think Larry may have been referring to The 356 Registry when he said "The Manual".
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC