Legacy License Plates for California

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Randy Cook
356 Fan

Legacy License Plates for California

#1 Post by Randy Cook »

I just discovered this program, and not sure how many 356 owners in California know of it.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

Basically, the state DMV will reissue plates in one of three color/styles correct for classic cars. They need to get 7500 applicants to implement the program, however.

The original CA license plates were stolen from my car, and the replacement plates are the new blue style.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Re: Legacy License Plates for California

#2 Post by Edwin Ek »

Here's my question: Can I have a 7-character personalized license number on a yellow plate? (They were originally only 6 characters.)

My car currently has a 7-character personalized number on an original blue plate. It might be interesting to keep the same number and just switch plate colors.

Will this be an ongoing program or a one-time shot?

David Green
356 Fan

#3 Post by David Green »

I ordered a plate last year (xxx xxx) and was expecting it this year after the total number of orders exceeded the minimum 7,500 threshold last fall. However I just found out that the program will trigger only if 7,500 are ordered for one of the three period styles by Dec. 31, 2015 - not the combined total for all three.
The current approved order status is at the link in Randy Cook’s post.
David

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Alton »

Edwin Ek wrote:Here's my question: Can I have a 7-character personalized license number on a yellow plate? (They were originally only 6 characters.)

My car currently has a 7-character personalized number on an original blue plate. It might be interesting to keep the same number and just switch plate colors.

Will this be an ongoing program or a one-time shot?
There's an FAQ page http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/faqs.htm which has some useful data. The application form does allow up to 7½ digits.

In particular:

Q24: Can I order a different style of personalized plate with the configuration I want, and then convert the number to Legacy License Plates if the program is implemented?
A: Yes. However, this will not be considered an exchange and the fee for each type of plate will be due when you order them. To view the fees for other types of special plates, go the Special Interest or Personalized Plates section on DMV's website: http://www.dmv.ca.gov.

But, persuading the bureaucrats in Sacramento that the personalized plate combination you're requesting is one you already "own" could be a challenge. You might want to do this through a good title agency.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jay Wiener »

I was missing 1 of my original plates, so I had a new one made and DMV was fine with it and now the car is registered to the original plates. DMV will not make you a new one

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#6 Post by Edwin Ek »

Jim, many thanks for the information. No worries proving the current setup; just show the current (old blue) plates.

Anyone know how long this program will last?

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Alton »

Edwin Ek wrote:Jim, many thanks for the information. No worries proving the current setup; just show the current (old blue) plates.

Anyone know how long this program will last?
According to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/faqs.htm

Q16: How many pre–orders does the DMV need to receive in order to initiate the production of the Legacy Plates?
A:Legislation introduced the California Legacy License Plate program offering vehicle owners the opportunity to purchase replicas of California license plates similar to those issued in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. In order for the program to be implemented, at least one of the three styles must receive 7,500 orders before January 1, 2015.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

WRGREENE
356 Fan

#8 Post by WRGREENE »

Jay Wiener wrote:I was missing 1 of my original plates, so I had a new one made and DMV was fine with it and now the car is registered to the original plates. DMV will not make you a new one
JAY, when you say you had one made.... where or who made said plate, there are a lot of us with the same problem...

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#9 Post by Peter Silten »

There is a fellow on eBay who makes metal (aluminum) license plates that he says are a good match for the originals. Here is a link to his listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

Keep in mind that the early plates were made of steel and painted on both the front and back of the plates. When I have registered YOM plates, the DMV clerk asked to see both plates to make sure that both are originals. Having a duplicate plate made is perfect for those who want to replace an originally registered plate that has been lost or damaged.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#10 Post by Edwin Ek »

I think it is illegal for a private enterprise to make license plates.

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#11 Post by Roy Lock »

Edwin Ek wrote:I think it is illegal for a private enterprise to make license plates.
I think many firms will refuse to make reproduction California plates.

I have seen guys take their current plates and repaint them in old style colors. Not say this is something I personally advocate, but they have gotten away with it. I've had the police run checks on my YOM plates because they did not know what I had.

Another trick I have seen is to order the California Palm Tree specialty plate. Those plates will only have room for 6 digits. So, they ask for custom letter-number combinations. When they get them, these guys then repaint them in the colors for the desired year.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Randy Cook
356 Fan

#12 Post by Randy Cook »

I did visit a site that made license plates for every state.....except California.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/usa-state-p ... 9l499qi024

Not sure of the legality of the plates they sell anyway. A lot of disclaimers in the FAQs.

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#13 Post by Roy Lock »

The reason they will not sell Cali plates is because it is not a legal plate. If you read the law and the DMV's interpretation of it, you have to have two serviceable original plates. You also have to bring them with you to show them.
When I went to the DMV years ago for my YOM registration, the clerk made me produce two original steel plates. She even did a tap and bend test to make sure they were real. Majority of the reproduction plates are made from aluminum.
Yeah, there are cases where people have "faked" it, but then you really are rolling the dice.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#14 Post by Tom Tate »

I also used Licenseplates.tv for a YOM on my '57. In Mass the plates in '57 were black w/ white letters and I have a black car so I had a set made using the vin - 101169. I checked the DMV to make sure the numbers weren't in use (6 digit plates were used in '57) and walked into an office with it under my arm. We have the same rules, must be an original plate, must be steel, can't be manufactured, blab, blab, blab. I passed it over the counter to a 300 lb civil servant who promptly walked around showing all the other clerks how clean it was after all those years. The aluminum plate sailed right through. Rolling the dice and using it proudly ever since. KTF
Attachments
road trip.jpg

GregVandenbussche
356 Fan

#15 Post by GregVandenbussche »

I have some original 56-62 ones but nobody checked them at the DMV here in SF, they just photocopied them, so i guess you could bring them and bring photocopy too so they will not even need to touch them.., there is only one person knowing how to proceed with YOM though, worth chatting with the clerk to make sure everything is done correctly.
Bt5 Super - used to be fjord green, was painted brass, then brown... sadness