Band-aid for rusty leaking push rod tube

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Wridge
356 Fan

Band-aid for rusty leaking push rod tube

#1 Post by Bill Wridge »

:idea: This is just a band-aid to repair a leaking push rod tube due to a rust hole.
My 1958 Porsche 356a sunroof coupe had been sitting in a field for 25 or so years and I had expected the engine may have some serious issues but nothing seemed frozen, valves adjusted perfectly, engine turned over easy, carbs were a mess as was the fuel pump so they were rebuilt. I decided to install the engine back in the car to see how everything checked out as this only was a 1/2 hour job. Engine started up after fixing the ignition switch and I was happy, UNTIL ! Oil was pouring out the bottom and was traced to a hole in a push rod tube. I decided I wanted to deal with this later so I decided to make a band-aid for the tube. Of course the bad tube was the worst one to get to behind the heater flapper. There was a hole about 1/16" diameter. I used steel wool on the area surrounding the hole and de-oiled with starter fluid. I then put JB Weld in the hole and let it set up.I then cut a saddle patch from another old push rod tube about 1" long and cut lengthwise a bit more than 1/2 the diameter so it would snap onto the damaged tube, I filled the patch with red high temp silicon gasket maker and snapped it in place over the hole and let it set up for a day. I then cinched the patch in place with 2 cable ties for good luck. I could not get a hose clamp into the tight area. NO MORE LEAKING! :P I will replace the bad tube when I need to remove the engine again but for now I can deal with other issues. Some time you just gotta do what you gotta do!

George Walling
356 Fan

Re: Band-aid for rusty leaking push rod tube

#2 Post by George Walling »

Bill, some times the old jerry rigging will get you over the hump and on to other problems good temp fix. When you have the engine out and if you don't want to pull the heads why take a look at the tubes that precision matters has they worked really well on my engine when I had leaking tubes. I installed them with the engine in the car very simple straight forward operation and very well made. Good luck with your find.
George E Walling

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

Just a guess, but I think you could have replaced that leaking tube with one of Precision Matters tubes in about the time it took to do your repair. Of course, you would have had to have one on hand to do it.

I second George's suggestion on the PM tubes. Got a set on mine.

Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brian R Adams »

Yeah, guys, there's the sensible way ... and the fun way! Using chewing gum and baling wire is much more satisfying, and I'm betting it will last as long as the rest of the engine now. And, no knock on the exquisite P.M. tubes, but this Goldberg fix would look no more inauthentic to a judge - or shouldn't anyway.

Seriously, those old tubes are not made of ferrous metal, are they? Rust hole?

Brian
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

Well, they are steel. Ferrous enough for me.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brian R Adams »

Martin Benade wrote:Well, they are steel. Ferrous enough for me.
Then you got it goin' on.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brian R Adams »

I forgot they are steel. I do recall them being difficult to stretch slightly for reuse, which I did when I had my heads off ten years ago (I used new seals.) They haven't leaked yet anyway.

Brian