how to lube speedo and tach cable

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
michaelteleha
356 Fan

how to lube speedo and tach cable

#1 Post by michaelteleha »

i have seen a couple of old posts that talk about ways to to this but want to make sure i am doing it correctly. i am getting noise out of the tach cable and while messing with this though i would do both of them.
thanks, Michael

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: how to lube speedo and tach cable

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

You don't need a lot of lube on the tach cable insert (it's R & Rd from the front end);
Try moving the cable housing (under the dash) & listen if the noise changes or changes. Same thing @ the rear end & the cable sheath is routed correctly over the left heater hose between the engine & tunnel.
If the tach is noisy, try lightly spraying a little WD40 into the tach shaft; if that doesnt work, you'll need a teardown to get some instrument oil or very light moly
grease on the input shaft after it's cleaned. However, the tach will need a possible recalibration check for accuracy!

Dick

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

Re: how to lube speedo and tach cable

#3 Post by Emil Wojcik »

I just dealt with this today. My speedo cable started to whine and the needle was bouncing all over the place. I disconnected it from the back of the speedo and sprayed lithium grease into the sheath (hold a rag around the opening, the grease will overflow), reconnected it then took the car for a spin, then repeated the process two more times to be sure the grease worked its way down.

I had done this once before about 12 years ago. I hope it lasts 12 years this time.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420