Distributor Removal

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rik Beeson
356 Fan

Distributor Removal

#1 Post by Rik Beeson »

I have a nice 022 distributor that I am trying to remove from a core engine so I can send it to Ed Fall, so he can work his magic on it. I have the clamp bolt out and the clamp spread, also the nut that holds the clamp down is removed. I squirted Aero Kroil all around the distributor. No luck. Can someone out there in 356-land tell me how to get this puppy out? TIA!

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

Re: Distributor Removal

#2 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Back in the day there were fork-like tools for removing distributors from American engines. These tools were fashioned to work with a slide hammer. A tool fashioned as above with an interface specific to the cast iron housing will whistle it right out of there. Be sure in the design/fabrication of the tool to align the extraction axis with the axial axis of the housing. Prying tools are likely to mar the third piece and pounding on the housing to loosen it up will result in irreclaimable deformation or breakage which was shown in my display of steps in rebuilding a distributor at the recent Hershey Swap [2014]. I do not make such a tool, but it may be a candidate for some future development. I receive a lot of distributors for rebuild that evidence frustrated removal techniques. I am sure Ed does as well.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#3 Post by Richard Shilling »

Don't give up. The rubber "O" ring on the distributor shaft frequently sticks to the third piece. Keep squirting Kroil and banging the distributor with a soft hammer or the heel of a shoe.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Tim Herman
356 Fan

#4 Post by Tim Herman »

Rik

Is your fuel pump out/off?
Tim Herman #2197
www.carreramotorsport.com

Jan Balder
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jan Balder »

I had the same problem, got it out by heating the third piece locally with a hot air gun and trying to rotate it, (rather then pulling), with an oilfilter cartridge tool.

Jan.
Jan Balder

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Weiss »

Many years ago, I made a cup-type plate to use a slide hammer to remove stuck distributors.

Dick

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

Would it be easier to tap it out from the bottom if the 3rd piece is removed?

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Rik Beeson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Rik Beeson »

Mike Wilson wrote:Would it be easier to tap it out from the bottom if the 3rd piece is removed?

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

What a good idea, Mike! The engine is coming apart eventually -- maybe I'll just take the third member off now. Easier than going over to Harbor Freight to get a slide hammer.

Best regards ~ Rik

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Keep us posted!

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#10 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Rik Beeson wrote:
Mike Wilson wrote:Would it be easier to tap it out from the bottom if the 3rd piece is removed?

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

What a good idea, Mike! The engine is coming apart eventually -- maybe I'll just take the third member off now. Easier than going over to Harbor Freight to get a slide hammer.

Best regards ~ Rik

No, that is not a good idea. In fact, a bad one unless you don't mind replacing the distributor drive brass gear that is on the crankshaft. There is interference unless the distributor drive is removed before removing the third piece and to remove the distributor drive, you must remove the distributor first.

It has been mentioned that "with dexterity" you can remove the Zenith 32 NDIX cover without removing the accelerator linkage to make the float level adjustment. I suppose the same dexterity could be applied to walk the timing cover off without damaging the brass gear by turning the crankshaft while applying the extraction load, but you may have to recruit a third hand to turn the crank while doing so.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Rik Beeson
356 Fan

#11 Post by Rik Beeson »

Yup, Albert, as I started to take the third member off I mentally considered how things went together in there... and came to the conclusion you just stated. I'll be going to Harbor Freight for a slide hammer soon...

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dick Weiss »

Maybe you could use a strap wrench to twist it loose and pull it upward?

Dick

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#13 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

deleted
Last edited by Albert Tiedemann on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#14 Post by Steve Harrison »

This whole scenario wafts of 'wish I could be there... present."
I, for one,... like a challenge. And a stuck distributor staring me in the face saying 'Go ahead,..make my day',.. is just the kind of jabber that gets my juices to a simmer. Wish I could help you out Ric, and hang in the garage and get the bugger out eventually. But alas,..there are so many miles between 356er's these days,...outside of certain locales it seems, ha ha. Do post your exploits. Nice for you to have core engines about,..that's quite a fun luxury. :shock: 8) :wink:

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

Ab: thanks for your informative advise. Much appreciated.

Mike Wilson
Lomita,CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe