oil distribution piece weirdness

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: oil distribution piece weirdness

#16 Post by Jules Dielen »

Hmmm this is getting stranger by the post. Engine number is 81095 I will check for that other hole in the engine tomorrow. If I recall correctly, I only have one single hole at the top where the distribution piece would go.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#17 Post by Larry Coreth »

Jules,
Well not really strange at all, since your motor is #81095 your engine should be just as depicted in the parts diagram I posted. As you can see the motor top has 2 holes, one for oil from the longitudinal oil gallery and the other a return for the filter to the case ( it simply dribbles down to the sump). I believe the hole to the oil gallery is a fine thread (1.0 mm/thrd) while the return hole is a coarse thread (1.25 or 1.5 mm/thrd). Have you got all the necessary parts? If you are missing the banjo bolt P/N 539 07 834 this may be hard to come by. Good luck !
BTW I hope you do have an A parts book (CD or down load the PET version from the Porsche website) and an A shop manual (essential).
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#18 Post by Brad Ripley »

With the engine number, Larry has your answer. Sorry, I was guessing it was a later engine.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#19 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Alan and Larry are totally correct.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#20 Post by Alan Hall »

Jules,
I was at EASY yesterday and took a photo of the applicable page from Jim's 356A parts book, it might be a little easier to see than the image from the PET catalog. As Larry said the changeover occurred at engine number 81201 (supers) or 67001 (normal). The parts you need are 539.07.823, intermediate piece (qty 1); 539.07.824, hollow bolt (qty 1); and 900.123.004.30, copper seal ring 10x16 DIN 7603 (qty 3).
Alan
Attachments
DSCN7336.JPG

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#21 Post by Dick Weiss »

Larry,

if you remove the oil return line from the case's fitting, you'll see more oil than a dribble while idling--carefull by not running too long and have a can to catch it!

Dick

John Hawkins
356 Fan

#22 Post by John Hawkins »

Jules,
As per Larry's image of the parts manual, you need the special hollow bolt for earlier cars. Here are photos from 1957 engine # 66961.

Hollow bolt part # 539.07.824 is 14 mm ATF, 10 mm diameter, 1.5 thread pitch, 42 mm total length, 37 mm length including shoulder and threads.

The incorrect larger threaded union (hollow bolt) that you currently have that was used on later cars is 12 mm dia. at the threads, with 1.75 thread pitch where it screws into the case.
John
Attachments
1957 engine Oil distribution assembly with special hollow bolt, Oil inlet line, and banjo fitting for oil pressure sensor. Hollow bolt for Oil return line is to the right.  Crush washers are not shown.
1957 engine Oil distribution assembly with special hollow bolt, Oil inlet line, and banjo fitting for oil pressure sensor. Hollow bolt for Oil return line is to the right. Crush washers are not shown.
1957 Oil distribution assembly in case
1957 Oil distribution assembly in case
1957 356 engine with 5-bolt pulley seal ring and hole for oil temperature sensor in bottom left half of engine case.
1957 356 engine with 5-bolt pulley seal ring and hole for oil temperature sensor in bottom left half of engine case.

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#23 Post by Larry Coreth »

Good photos ! Thank you
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jules Dielen »

Larry, John, all Thank you for your input, this helped tremendously. My engine needs the early type style. I now have the oil line from NLA, but Brad does not offer the hollow bolt nor the banjo fitting. If anyone has either, please let me know. These are the last 2 pieces I need to get my engine together and back in the car!
Jules

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#25 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

[quote="John Hawkins"]Jules,
As per Larry's image of the parts manual, you need the special hollow bolt for earlier cars. Here are photos from 1957 engine # 66961.

Hollow bolt part # 539.07.824 is 14 mm ATF, 10 mm diameter, 1.5 thread pitch, 42 mm total length, 37 mm length including shoulder and threads.

/quote]

I have a hollow bolt similar to the one pictured. However, is is 5 mm shorter and the large and small feed holes are interchanged. It is NOS and has a head stamp KAMAX; 14 mm ATF hex and the thread size is M10 x 1.0

Clearly not for this application, but what for?

Since the oil pressure gauge is only measuring the static pressure in the line. it seems it would only need a small hole and not the large one shown. Should the banjo fitting with gauge be on top? The illustration in the manual/parts book shows it on the bottom.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#26 Post by Alan Hall »

Is the small hole the flow limiting restriction for the oil filter? It seems like both holes could be small, but if the upper hole is the flow restrictor for the filter it could not be larger.
Alan

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#27 Post by Dave Erickson »

Jules, I sold one of those on Ebay last month. Unfortunately it was the only one I had, but I can put you in contact with the buyer, who resells a lot of parts.

Here is a link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1107428655

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#28 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Ab; your hollow bolt sounds like the special one for the early 1958 thermostatic valve engines. The ones that had an external oil line from the bottom of the timing cover to the top; before they changed the timing cover to have the line internally.
Or not.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#29 Post by Jules Dielen »

Dave, yes please! I will be posting a WTB ad as well. I sourced the 'kinked' oil line from NLA, still looking for the hollow bolt and the banjo fitting.
Jules

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#30 Post by Jules Dielen »

well, thanks to Todd I am all set ! This was the 'last piece of the puzzle' to my engine. It will be reunited with my A coupe shortly!

Thank you Todd, you are awesome!

Jules
Jules