Dealer near Western Springs, IL?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Christian Guthrie
356 Fan
Tag: How many is enough?

Dealer near Western Springs, IL?

#1 Post by Christian Guthrie »

My 58 Super Cabriolet has Western Springs, IL listed on the Cardex (copied from the computer during Rennsport Reunion) Can anybody tell me what dealership this would have been? I know its a long shot, but if anyone remembers my car from back in the day, its ivory and supposedly had some club racing history. Spent its entire life in the Chicago area and was parked in a garage in 73' with low mileage. Thanks in advance,

Haig Haleblian
356 Fan

Re: Dealer near Western Springs, IL?

#2 Post by Haig Haleblian »

I grew up in the neighboring town to Western Springs in the 50's and 60's. I can assure you there has never been a car dealer in Western Springs. It's a very small town in the western suburbs of Chicago. The oldest dealer from the 50's in the area is Continental Motors owned by John Weinberger. Super nice guy and I believe John is still active in the business, but his son Joel is also part of Continental's many dealerships. Incredible success story plus a very serious car collection that he's always willing to share. I would start by attempting to contact John. My guess is he could provide the info off the top of his head. Go to their website or you may want to try Continental's Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley dealership in Hinsdale Il.

Christian Guthrie
356 Fan

#3 Post by Christian Guthrie »

Thanks Haig,
I will give John a try. On another note, I believe we met at the ECH in Lancaster, PA. If memory serves, you had an Orange 356A? I will keep you posted if John can provide any information.

Bob Niemiec
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bob Niemiec »

There used to be a Porsche Audi dealer on Ogden Ave just a few doors down from where Continental Motors is today. I think it was called Brentynsen (spelling?) PA. It was there in the 70's and at least though the early 80's but I'm not sure how long before that it was there.

Bob Niemiec

'63 Cab
Registry #6070

Haig Haleblian
356 Fan

#5 Post by Haig Haleblian »

There was a P/A dealer just west of Continental at the corner of Elm and Ogden, but not in the 50's-60's. It's now Jacobs Land Rover.

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jon Bunin »

According to the 1968 Porsche booklet of authorized importers, dealers and repair shops, the closest Porsche dealer to Western Springs was H & H Continental Motors, 5806 S La Grange, Countryside IL. That address is currently home to Continental Mitsubishi. It is approx. 2 or 3 miles from Western Springs.
Jon Bunin

Haig Haleblian
356 Fan

#7 Post by Haig Haleblian »

Boy this post is a trip down memory lane. I remember the Countryside building and when Continental (Weinberger) took it over. Rt66 Drive In Movie theater aka The Pits right behind it. Many boys learned about girls vice versa at The Pits.

Christian Guthrie
356 Fan

#8 Post by Christian Guthrie »

I contacted John Weinberger via email to the Ferrari dealer. He called me the next day! Unfortunately, he did not believe that he sold the car as it was too early for his dealership. What a stand up guy for taking the time out of his busy day to make the call. A few other people are asking around in IL. i will post any results.

Haig Haleblian
356 Fan

#9 Post by Haig Haleblian »

Mr Weinberger is a true gentleman, all around nice guy, with oil in his veins. His quick response doesn't surprise me at all.

Christian Guthrie
356 Fan

#10 Post by Christian Guthrie »

If anyone knows Clem Futterer, he was the original owner of my cab. I found out he raced SCCA in 1956 & 1957 racing a Siata but no further info is available. I doubt he raced our Cabriolet but anything is possible. Any pieces to the past are greatly appreciated.