356C Wiper Assembly Colour

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric McKinley
356 Fan

356C Wiper Assembly Colour

#1 Post by Eric McKinley »

I am in the process of restoring my 356C wiper assembly.
I am trying to find the correct colours for this.
The arms appear to be a grey and the main body a light green.
I would like to pin this down as close as possible.
I have had a look at Paul Hatfields , Miss June, he has done a good job at replicating the colours.
I hope you don't mind Paul, I have used a picture of your assembly below for reference to the colours.
If any one can be specific about colours on the market for this please post.

Secondly the 4 rubber grommets on the main body of the assembly, does anyone know where these can be purchased.

Many Thanks, Eric, Belfast
64 356C
Attachments
image.jpg

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

Re: 356C Wiper Assembly Colour

#2 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Hello Eric-
I sent you a reply to your e-mail this morning, but will also add it here.

It was a green automotive primer that I bought at a NAPA auto parts store. I used it up on other items and never wrote down the number. It was a darn perfect match though. The rubber grommets came from my local hardware store (ACE), and they should be easy to find.

Obviously being in a different country, the stores will be different, but perhaps the manufacturer of the paint will be the same.

If you run into trouble, the auto parts store is close to me and I could make a trip to it and get the numbers off of the spray can paint.

As for the gray on the connector arms, I did not need to repaint mine. They were is great shape. There is a photo on my website showing this color very well. Different photo than in this string of posts. Look in the Misc. section of http://www.enginesinback.com for that photo and some others.

Let me know if you need me to head over to NAPA to get those paint numbers.

One other thing. I disassembled the drive spindles, removing the drive shaft and cleaning and lubricating the assembly. It made a HUGE difference in how easily it turned. They were very stiff, and when I was done I could give them a spin and watch them go round and round on their own. Anyone working on this system should carefully examine this area.

KTF-
Paul
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Eric McKinley »

Paul,

Many thanks for the replies.
I will dismantle the drive spindles and lubricate the entire mechanism.
I have also sourced a 12 volt motor for the assembly.
I would ask you next time you are passing the store to call in and get the number if it does not send you out of your way.
However please don't make the journey just for this purpose.
I am in no hurry and can wait.
It's a marathon not a sprint when it comes to restoring.

Eric, Belfast
64 356C

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brad Ripley »

For what it's worth --
All the "racks" /mounts is have seen are indeed olive drab. The color in Eric's photo looks a little off -- maybe a little on the blue side, but close. The rack is the early one without the end reinforcements. The holes for the grommets are oval and round on the later racks fir the reinforcements. The bolts thru the round grommets are only 6 mm, so the grommets don't exactly fit right, but that's the way they did it.

On rebuilding the pivots, you should remove the pivots by clamping the rack in a vice and removing the upper nuts. Once off the rack, lightly clamp Vicegrips across the pivot to compress the wavy washer. Save the wavy washer; it's unique. Then you will see a small snap ring on the upper end of the shaft and a very thin washer (if it isn't totally rusted away). The snap ring (DIN 7993A) will probably not be reusable; buy some extras. The washer is another story, don't know where you find those. Take the shaft out, blast it and then replate nickel. Grease it up and put back together. Sorry, rebuilt exchange units are no longer being supplied.

The actuating arms and grey vinyl covered and clean up nicely. Replace the rubber o-ring between the arm and pivot lever. See Workshop Manual pages SL1 and 2 for illustration, etc.

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#5 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Brad-
Agreed, olive drab is a good description of the color. No blue tint.
The photo above is of mine, and there is no blue tint in real life. What you are seeing is an issue of the photo, not the item.

When I painted it, I first only painted 1/2 of the assembly and let it dry. I could not see a difference in color between original and the new paint. Very satisfied it is a match.

Sorry for the photo in that regard. May be an issue with the lighting at the time, but there is no blue tint.
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#6 Post by Paul Hatfield »

I just went and looked at my picture files. The photo above was taken with a flash. Photo below was taken with no flash.
-Paul
Attachments
wiper assembly (Large).jpg
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"