2-part catalyzed paint for small jobs

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Erickson
356 Fan

2-part catalyzed paint for small jobs

#1 Post by Dave Erickson »

I would like to start using a better quality paint for parts that I rebuild (e.g. steering gear, starter motor, distributor). I have been considering a black low-gloss 2-part epoxy or urethane catalyzed paint. I have no experience with these products. Can such a paint be mixed in small quantities and brushed on with satisfactory results?

Bob Cannon
356 Fan

Re: 2-part catalyzed paint for small jobs

#2 Post by Bob Cannon »

I do this all the time, using 1-2 oz volumes for both 2-part epoxy primers and single stage urethane paints. The best way of application is to use a Preval sprayer rather than a brush. Think of it as a "rattle can" with good paint. Be sure to clean out the sprayer very well with solvent afterwards, otherwise they won't work for a second application.
Preval.jpeg
Preval.jpeg (3.88 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
Bob Cannon
Sacramento, CA

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#3 Post by Matthew Devereux »

I doubt you could get a good finish with a brush. You could use a small HVLP gun. You can get a body shop supply store to do a spray can for you assuming its a color you can't buy off the shelf which I think is your best bet. I have been told that the low gloss paints don't work very well when put in a spray can (too much flattening agent).
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dave Erickson »

Thanks for the tip about the preval sprayer, it looks like a nice unit, with inexpensive replacement parts and cleanup is not such a problem as with a dedicated spray gun.

I still want to know if the urethanes or catalyzed epoxies brush out well, at least on rough surfaces like the iron bodies of distributors and starter motors.

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#5 Post by DonCichocki »

Dave,
I do it all the time and am satisfied with the results, no masking either if you're careful.

Paul Kust
356 Fan

#6 Post by Paul Kust »

"still want to know if the urethanes or catalyzed epoxies brush out well, at least on rough surfaces like the iron bodies of distributors and starter motors"

With the two part paints, after you mix the hardener with the paint you can add reducer, it is usually 10% vol. but if that will not brush out you can always reduce it farther, but that is usually sufficient for spraying, so brushing is not a problem, as it flows out it will level, you will have to watch for runs, and depending on the temperature, and the type of reducer you have a small window to work in as it will harden in the container, and the type of hardener will determine the pot life of the mix, that is the time the paint stays fluid before it sets, anywhere between 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours. Just practice with some and you will get it.
Paul Kust
'57 T-1 101611

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#7 Post by David Jones »

From experience I can say the Preval sprayer works very well. I have also found that Sherwin Williams (automotive paint division) sells a single stage urethane paint for a reasonable price that they can match perfectly to the Porsche colors. I bought some sky blue which matches my original paint on my 63 "C" perfectly.
Bumper picture painted with this paint and Preval attached.
Attachments
C resto 2014 003.jpg
C resto 2014 002.jpg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Michael Moss
356 Fan

#8 Post by Michael Moss »

Dave: Eastwood now sells a catalyzed urethane (2 part can in a can)low gloss black paint in aerosol cans. Not cheap but what is now days. Make sure you have enough to paint because once you mx you have to use it all. Mike

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#9 Post by Steve Harrison »

You can save catalyzed paint for a short time (day or two) in the freezer. Whenever I paint something, I save any left over for a day just in case there's a fisheye that needs dotting.

Scott Loraas
356 Fan

#10 Post by Scott Loraas »

I used Eastwood's 2k Chassis Black (2 part rattle can) on my repro 16's. It was too cold in the garage to get the compressor going, and I need to keep things moving on my '52 if I want to drive it before I die.

I found it lays down nice if you use one can per coat, and lay it on rather thick. In my hands, trying to use the same can, even an hour later, has been a disaster. My "car time" is scarce right now. For me, the risk of having to spend it fixing screw-ups isn't worth trying to salvage a little bit of spray paint. Others may have better luck.

The paint set up rock hard, and I'm happy with how it looks for a car that will see a lot of road time, and no concours events.
Attachments
black_16s.jpg

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dave Erickson »

Thanks for all the tips.

I have some Eastwood 2-part 2k black epoxy primer in rattlecans on order, and a quart of their Matte Black High Temperature Ceramic Engine Paint on order. Unfortunately, they will not ship the urethane engine enamel to California, so I ordered the enamel. I also ordered a Preval sprayer kit, and will try both brushing and spraying the enamel.

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dave Erickson »

The two-part epoxy rattle can of black primer arrived, but Eastwood sent an email saying they cannot ship the quart of Matte Black High Temperature Ceramic Engine Enamel to California, and refunded my purchase price. Same for their urethane high temp engine paint.

Where do those of you in California buy matte black high temp urethane or enamel (and what brand do you recommend), or is it illegal to sell it to "non-professionals"?

michaelteleha
356 Fan

#13 Post by michaelteleha »

in my personal opinion i would recommend getting a small HVLP gun. practice a few times and when you think you are good, spray a piece of glass. you will know if you have it. the quality of what you will get is 100000000 time better than the co2 spray can jobs ( and cheaper after a few projects). the problem is as you use them the pressure reduces and the atomization reduces and then it sputters and you have a blob. the small HVLP sprayers work great. just run solvent through asap and clean really well when done or it will clog. i would find a good one on ebay. the advantage of the good one is it works great and you can get parts to repair. we have a $200.00 kit with large and small guns from Granger that is great - but not repairable. has lasted 3 years with shop use. we use it to spray heavy adhesive for flocking things... think new porsche glove box fuzzy finish. then a couple of good guns for paint and finish coats on our direct printing on metal. it just takes a couple of seconds to set up and get the job done right.

the reality is a if you are good, a home depot gun that is taken care of will do a good job.

really really really important... if you go to a 2 part system many of them have to "sweat" in to work. i.e... the chemicals need to sit and bond for 10 minutes to 40 minutes or it will not dry properly. follow what the can says to the letter or it will be a mess.

On the high temp stuff. what part are you coating. if really hot you might look at ceramic coating. there is a place in dallas that does a good job and not too expensive. quality powder coating.. ask for brad. they are busy shop but do this for all the shops in dallas. nice work.

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dave Erickson »

I agree about using the better quality spray guns.

What I am looking for is some suggestions on what paint to buy and not run into the California VOC restrictions. Maybe Eastwood is just being paranoid about selling to California? When I visit Kelly Moore I can purchase urethane paint, lacquer thinner, etc., so why can't the Eastwood paint be sold in California?

michaelteleha
356 Fan

#15 Post by michaelteleha »

California has such strict VOC laws it is difficult. if you have Sherwin Williams, find a commercial location. not the home paint store.
http://www.sherwin-automotive.com or
here is the contact info for the one i use in dallas. might call them and they could get you comp number in Cali.
Sherwin-Williams Commercial Paint Store
11226 Leo Ln
Dallas, TX 75229
(972) 243-5871
then in dallas is a company called English Color http://www.englishcolor.com/ECS_-_Home/Welcome.html
they might ship
get a good gun. my theory is pay someone or spend the money from the first project to cover the cost of the tools to do it right. then you alway have the tools. and if you buy good tools on ebay the cost can be quite reasonable.
good luck!