Dang, it was already on reserve

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

Dang, it was already on reserve

#1 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Starting feel like Kramer, Drive home from the shop, started poping a little, reached down to flip the switch. Driveway of Upper Wolfsnare Plantation, circa 1759.
Kind of enjoyable. Car is rough but ready to go.
Attachments
April 11 out of gas.JPG
Rusty

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

Re: Dang, it was already on reserve

#2 Post by John Lindstrom »

Been there done that. Nice farm.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

Is that the sunroof I sold you?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan Epperly »

Yep it sucks when you go to flip that lever and it's already there!

John Weyand
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Weyand »

About 10 years ago I did that with my '60 VW which had no fuel gauge. I was miles from any station and ended up siphoning fuel from an abandoned tractor sitting behind a nearby barn. The owner didn't know how old the fuel was but it had a slight aroma that resembled gasoline and it got me the 5 miles to the next village where I added it's first taste of hi-test. I suspect that everyone who rode a motorcycle in the 60's/70's did the same,but they were easier to push.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

I left Emory's place in Oregon several years ago and took a wrong turn, and was quickly in fields of wheat, and no gas stations. I looked down and my rental truck was on E, more like double E. It had the little computer that told you how many miles you could go, it said I had 7 miles. I found a gas station that was 5 miles, except it was abandoned when I got there. So I now had 2 miles, the next gas station was 6 miles. I made it, but going several miles with the computer telling me 0 miles was a little nerve wracking. And there was no farms, no nothing, and I had a plane to catch.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Went to flip the reserve valve once too, whoops already flipped.
Big problem when I was 80' deep and sucked my scuba tank almost dry. Got about 4 breaths left flying
up. Completely ran out at about 30' in a panic, must have flew 5' out of the water.

John Weyand
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Weyand »

Martin, that post leaves me gasping. Without fuel, we could walk somewhere, but with air.... At what depth must one slow the ascent to prevent bends? 80' sounds close to the limit.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Martin Bruechle wrote:Went to flip the reserve valve once too, whoops already flipped.
Big problem when I was 80' deep and sucked my scuba tank almost dry. Got about 4 breaths left flying
up. Completely ran out at about 30' in a panic, must have flew 5' out of the water.
Lucky you didn't get an embolism. Hope you were exhaling hard.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Ashley James
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ashley James »

France on a Sunday is highly recommended for anyone who enjoys driving on empty. Everywhere is closed.

Last experience was my son in the Healey 3000 circling Paris in blistering heat and frantic traffic. He made it but.......

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Bruechle »

No kidding, Thought I was going to die. I use to pop sinus vessels sometimes then spit blood for a couple days. Haven't dove in over a decade but used to dive a lot. Got certified in 1979 and worked on a dive boat for a few years with a 2 man mini-sub. My girlfriends dad back then Don Siverts built 3 mini-subs. He modified the boat in the video for the subs. The 1st one called Snooper would go 1000'. I only got to go in it once we went 300', it was very cool.

Here is a video of Snooper 2 with Bob Meistrell (RIP) who started Body Glove wetsuits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlk5FVy8BWE

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

Great video. Looks like off Knob Hill?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jon Schmid »

I don't know what their current availability is because I'm not in the market to buy one but you used to be able to buy a spare fuel canister that held about a gallon that fit into the center of the spare wheel. Great for those ohs**t times when you're already on reserve (or worse) and not near a gas station.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#14 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Yes Mike, Redondo Canyon. Don Siverts built the subs in the Christmas light section by South High at his house. His son Curt in. the video.
Curt invented this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSAKRDaAfkU

George Hussey
356 Fan

#15 Post by George Hussey »

My red roadster, was already on reserve last night also when I started to run out, but luckily coasted into a gas station, the one with the highest prices around, but was glad that it was convenient. Trying to get the car ready for the local Porsche club concours this Sunday at Hennessy Porsche. I always keep it on reserve, filled to the top and with gas stabilizer but somehow overlooked the fill to the brim and I could smell that the gas was bad
George Hussey