1965 C Door window slot re-assembly

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bruce jamieson
356 Fan

1965 C Door window slot re-assembly

#1 Post by Bruce jamieson »

I forgot to take a picture of the top of the door where the window goes through. I would appreciate it if someone with a similar car could take a few pictures so I can see what goes where/
I believe there is a piece of felt along the inner edge? How is it attached?
I believe there are rubber mouldings on the inside and outside edges of the slot opening.
Is there a metal trim on the outside?/

Thanx for the help
Bruce

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: 1965 C Door window slot re-assembly

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Not very good pictures I am afraid but here is the door top chrome strip with felt attached. I have yet to do the garnish rail that goes on the inside. I am sure someone else will have a picture of that for you. And there is a pretty good discussion of this topic here: http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1 ... me#p181172
Attachments
outside of door with rail attached
outside of door with rail attached
door top chrome  with felt applied with screws. Some rivit this so no possibility of screw backing out and scratching window.
door top chrome with felt applied with screws. Some rivit this so no possibility of screw backing out and scratching window.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Bruce jamieson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce jamieson »

Thanx Doug. It is actually a 1964.

So there is a piece of chrome on the exterior, is there a rubber seal under it? I see one in the International Mercantile catalogue?

The felt goes on the inside edge. It looks like the piece of felt I have has 4 snaps on it' back so I will drill some holes in the metal for them to connect. Is there a seal under the felt? Once again, looks like International Mercantile sells one.

Wil start searching for the outside chrome piece in my piles of parts

Thanx
Bruce

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

The door top chrome has holes where it attaches to the door top on the inside of the window channel. metal backed felt strip is cut to correct length then you use an awl to punch through the strip. Small screws(or some use rivets-not original) attach the door top chrome/felt strip to the car. Forward most and rear most screws have a spacer between chrome and car to space the strip correctly. This spacer is discussed in the link I gave you. After mounting there is a rubber scraper that you slide in the channel. This is a scraper against the outer window. There is also a rubber piece that goes under the door chrome top piece when you mount it. This is similar to the rubber around the headlights and rear engine grills. Not a 2 hand job assembling all this at the same time! A friend helped me do it and it was still a pain in the *%@!!!!
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

The felt piece with the four snaps may be for the garnish rail.

WRGREENE
356 Fan

#6 Post by WRGREENE »

can any one tell me why you place spacers only on the "forward most & rear most" screws. why not all four screws...(or even continuous) seems that you would have a curve in the trim--possibly not even touching at the center two screws??

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

When I did mine I did not put the spacers in and resultant gap on forward edge was too wide to be filled by the profile rubber piece. When I added the front spacer result was excellent,no excess gap. Spacer I used was a piece of plastic from a milk bottle. Cut trimmed and drilled and placed between door body and front mounting tab. Certainly not correct but it looks good . Disclaimer: I have no idea if I have done this by the book or as the factory did it. I read everything I could find then did the best I could that looked correct.

Bruce jamieson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bruce jamieson »

I finally found some parts for the window opening at International Mercantile. They have a set that includes the outer chrome trim and the rubbers that fit with the trim. One covers the top of the door and the other is the rubber scraper that sits against the outside of the window.
They say that there should only be a felt piece on the inside edge.
I get to look at a completed car tomorrow so will let you know.'
Thanx
Bruce

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

The felt "furry weatherstrips" go on the outside with screws, and on the inside with the clips, going to the garnish rail as Doug suggested. Maybe someone can remind us- the plastic profile under the outside chrome has a larger bead and a smaller bead. I forget which one goes under and which one shows on the outside.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Small bead under,larger bead showing. See comments here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37276&hilit=front+blinker+beading
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce jamieson
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bruce jamieson »

Ok, I finally got my old outside chrome window channel pieces back from the re-plating this week and have installed the M8 and M7 seals I got from International Mercantile. I trimmed the M8 so that it acts as a scraper on the glass and installed the M7 below the chrome piece. Worked great just as everyone said. Felt pieces are attached and I am ready to put in the regulators and glass.
The car - 1964 c-- has a vent window at the front on each side. There is now a gap at the front below the vent window and a small gap at the back where the window frame goes through the body. Looks like there should be another moulding in the chrome track.
Should I have ordered a longer M8 moulding then trimmed it ? Should I make up a moulding and slide it into the track on the chrome window trim? There will be small gaps where the mouldings meet since it is not a continuous one piece.
Could use silicone on the seams where they meet.
Thanx
Bruce

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-356-SC- ... ars_Trucks Look at the great pictures of this outlaw for sale on Ebay. Done by a noted restorer in the Detroit area. It has excellent pictures of what that area should look like. Much better pictures than I could take. When I did this area on my 64 coupe I had to use a small spacer on the front most and rear most screws on the door top chrome to get the gaps correct. Hope this helps.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#13 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Car still in the garage so unable to get what I would consider good photos but here is what my car looks like.
Attachments
P1010003.JPG
P1010002.JPG
P1010001.JPG

Bruce jamieson
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bruce jamieson »

Doug:
Thanx for your help. Just spoke to International Mercantile in California and they cut special M8 mouldings to a 30 in length to accommodate what I am looking for. The I trim it to fit the window and the gap below the vent window and at the back. $5.00 each side and it will be one piece.
Not sure why they did not send this in the initial order.
Thresholds are next.
Thanx
Bruce

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#15 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Bruce from IM M 149 goes between doortop chrome and vent window.Fitted in front of M8 to front edge of doortop chrome. M 149 should be in your kit from IM